• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

What do employers think of UWS? (1 Viewer)

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Why do people only attack UWS and not UOW , UNCLE, CSU, Etc?
i dunno prolly becuz a lot of pplz go to uws in sydney, and low cut offs and stuff and the "visual appearence" and location of its campuses, creates negative comments... bah get over it.....

L

LaraB

theone123 said:
i dunno prolly becuz a lot of pplz go to uws in sydney, and low cut offs and stuff and the "visual appearence" and location of its campuses, creates negative comments... bah get over it.....
yeh but people forget a huge proportion of teh uni aren't admitted via UAC/UAI coz there's so many mature age/post grads...

plus there's a shitload of international students... there's around 50K students.... UWS is one of the biggest unis, its new, its in the west, so of course cut offs will be lower but who cares...

cut offs have nothing to do with the quality of the students - its just about demand. So the low cut offs shouldn't be an issue... but people are dopey so it still is... :rolleyes:

funny how everuone who comments on the appearnac of UWS campuses has only been to one campus and doesn't even know how many exist....

there's Parra (+ nth parra), Kingswood, Penrith, Werrington Nth, Werrington Sth, Campbelltown, Bankstown, Blacktown, Hawksbury, Sydney CBD, Westmead.... i think that's it...

all the campuses are different - some look more modern, some have heritage building so look older on teh outside but are botu the same as the other campuses on the inside... and despite popular belief the uni does have trees!!

again - if you are going to bag UWS - give some reasons...

Hip Hop Hooray - saying employers don't think much of it, highly intelligent as that was, he whloe point is to give reasons to a student - no one gives a shit what your opinions are they wanna know reasons that they can make their own mind up with...
same with iamsickofyear12 - so what, you've never heard a positive thing about it - whoopdiedoo... you also seem to know jack shit about the uni so how the crap would you know anything of substance about it..

stop getting the shits that people make positive comments about the uni, everyone, because those of you who are bagging it either hav enothing to base it on apart from "a friend told me that their ex-boss says" or some bullshit like that, or you're full of shit and have no idea what you're talking about coz you've never attended UWS nor had a friend not failing miserably attend UWS...

post something of substance or don't post at all on this topc

L

LaraB

Not-That-Bright said:
Why do people only attack UWS and not UOW , UNCLE, CSU, Etc?
coz they're not in sydney - there's not direct comparison with uts, usyd n unsw...

neva mind that amongst professionals they seem to have a worse rep than uws by far in a lot of areas and all those smaller unis have MORE funding problems than uws, have more staff shortages, are not able to fill their student quotas, are having tor esort to online lectures coz they can't afford the staff for that time and don't have the facilities on campus etc...

its just coz they're not in sydney no one cares really... which is stupid in itself...

then again - notice how city uni people claim that unsw n usyd n sometimes uts too are "the" only good/top unis in australia... leaving out other unis that are regarded excellenty for the majority of their courses and for a lot of research work like UNE n ANU and i reckon its, apart from plain ego, partly coz of the same thing - they're not ini sydney and they aren't as hugely competitive as a result..

plus - all these students creating their own 'ranking' of unis totally dismiss teh value or and importance of post-grad students in their own 'ranking' - UNE has a huuuuuge number of post-grads doing courses most of you have probably never heard of and is regarded extremely highly for it but no one knows that because everyone is too worried about proving that the city unis are better than uws largely using UAI entry as 'justification' which means it zeros in on undergrads....

same with Mac - they get totally left out of this debate a lot too.... they have some awesome courses but some mighty shit ones and dodgy admin/uni authority people too - they're a lot like UWS in a way just more established, if you leave UAI cut offs outof the equation coz they don't mean anything but demand...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
*Sighs* Some people!

UWS is a young uni - it can't be expected to automatically be the best uni in the world as soon as its established.

Sure some schools (maybe such as law, but I don't know much about) may not have the reputation that inner city unis have, however, there are some schools that are far better than any of the inner city unis.

Strange how people say that employers don't like UWS graduates, or they won't hire them, when during my second year, I was offered jobs and many employers in the field that I want to go into say they prefer UWS graduates over every other uni graduates.

Infact, most people in my degree will graduate next year, and will slip straight into a top level job. Why? Because UWS doesn't use the classroom learning approach all the time. By the time I graduate, I would have done 10 weeks (400 hours) work placement - which is far more better than any classroom method being taught.

Jonathan A

HSC
Something else to add to the list of achievements - Engineering.

E/Professor Russell Bridge, along with contractors designed the M7 which is probably the quitest highways in Australia. It needs very little maintenance, is very smooth to drive on and much quieter.

Jonathan A

HSC
Hear Hear!

Some students are serious decieved about their future. Working towards something that is difficult to achieve and probably not going to pay off. I work in a small law firm. I love it. Why? We to criminal work, most large firms don't. Many firms deal with many of the corporate law issues - no problem with that, however it means their practitioners hardly see the inside of a courtroom. Not my style. My ideal area of law is to be an advocate and work with people's direct lives. That's what lawyers are there for, that is what the profession was intended - a service.

I am happy to say, going to UWS I am achieving my dream with no problems thus far.

erawamai

Retired. Gone fishing.
HSC
Jonathan A said:
Many firms deal with many of the corporate law issues - no problem with that, however it means their practitioners hardly see the inside of a courtroom. Not my style. My ideal area of law is to be an advocate and work with people's direct lives.
Usually the only courts that see corporation law matters are the Supreme Courts. I also pretty sure that corporate lawyers do see the insides of a court room. I mean someone, preferably a solicitor of somesort, is often there assisting junior or senior council. What the lawyer does in a company law issue will impact on many thousands of people! Either way lawyers play important roles. Their actions in corporations law and in criminal law impact on people in different ways.

And a corporation is a person ;)

Last edited:
L

LaraB

erawamai said:
Usually the only courts that see corporation law matters are the Supreme Courts. I also pretty sure that corporate lawyers do see the insides of a court room. I mean someone, preferably a solicitor of somesort, is often there assisting junior or senior council. What the lawyer does in a company law issue will impact on many thousands of people! Either way lawyers play important roles. Their actions in corporations law and in criminal law impact on people in different ways.

i think what jonathan meant by 'see the inside of a courtroom' was as in being able to advocate, not just physically be there, i certainly don't imagine his dream is to be a junior solicitor who sits in court alongside the barrister who does all the talking:p

coure they're important people, barrister's would be lost without em, but if you knew jonathan you'd know that's not what he wants to do with his degree

Jonathan A

HSC
erawamai said:

This is true to some extent. Let me put it into context for you. Corporate Lawyers do see the inside of courtrooms. You have more of a chance if you are a criminal lawyer. Civil matters are increasingly being subjected to diversionary methods.

I know how advocacy operates, I prepare many cases and briefs for Barristers. Sure corporate lawyers impact thousands of people and sure under cases like Solomon v Solomon, the juristic person status means, technically we have a person when we deal with companies. And I agree with you entirely on the importance of the lawyer.

I am of the opinion that where people as in Human Beings are risking being subjected to the coercive arm of the law, then I think we have an interesting part. Criminal Law is like no other part of law. It's principles differ in some respects. I would like to keep an open mind in practice, and be involved in many areas. The more, the better. But criminal is definantely one of them!

[BTW: there are many theorists who would disagree with your argument on corporate vs criminal law in terms of the effects on people. Criminal Law is very controversial and almost all can relate to it]

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
Oh because you're the king of factual statements around here.

Im tired of reading page after page of statements presented as fact from members that are nothing more than assumptions made with regard to location or name of a particular institution.

The statement that 'the majority of people who graduate from UOW are employed in Wollongong' is false.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
It wasn't baseless. Do you even go to uni?

Why are you so interested in uni's you don't even go to?

treason

HSC
To the original poster, I say go to where your gut tells you to go. You're young, have plenty of opportunities ahead of you as well as the luxury of time to rectify whatever mistakes you make as a youth in your journey towards meaningful employment.

I have had some experience with the whole UWS vs UNSW issue, albeit from a Victorian viewpoint given that I live in Melbourne. At the beginning of my tertiary education, I went to a “lower-class” university because I won a scholarship (read: could have gone to Melb Uni, but didn’t because I am greedy). At this university, I won 2 more scholarships and top scored in a number of subjects. Other scholarship holders within my cohort also top scored in a number of subjects outside their area of study (we were IT students but took some business electives). That’s the brilliant part about these “lesser” universities, it’s not hard to standout if you’re a great, but not exceptional student, because everyone there is ok.

Anyhow after taking the business electives, I decided that IT wasn’t for me and wanted to be a Management Consultant for one of the big 3 (BCG/Bain/Mckinsey). I applied for graduate positions in the OZ offices of these platinum firms in my penultimate year and was promptly rejected by all of them. Knowing personally that I had what they were looking for in a candidate, I utilised my High School alumni network (whose network was more powerful than my uni’s, sad but true) to get to people who work for these firms and get them to pass my application onto the appropriate party. In the end I managed to get in touch with a consultant from one of the firms who went to my high school. After putting his name on my app, I scored an interview with their Singapore offices (same resume). I also managed to get in touch with a Senior VP from another firm, which led to an informal breakfast chat with their hiring manager where I was informally told that they do not recruit from my school. He said when it came down to it, getting a Distinction average at my school VS a Melb Uni student with a Distinction average, there’s just no comparison – Melb Uni student hands down all the time. Having said that, I scored an interview with their Melb offices the year after (same resume), most probably because of my uncanny networking skills (had the VP’s name on my cover letter). At these interviews, the recruiting lady told me I was the first ever student from my uni that has been called up for an interview (she’s been there 8 years). Not surprising, all the candidates there were from either Melb or Monash.

Short of the long is, does it matter ultimately? No. Does it make it harder? Somewhat.

Moral of the story, work damn hard at whatever uni you go to and participate and exploit every opportunity made available to you (clubs, competitions, networking functions, etc).

Conspirocy

HSC
Okay all the quotes are of LaraB, cause she has just talked and talked and talked. So you know I’m at UNSW and I do a B Economics. All the quotes are in order of when they were said from first to last.

employers - well, good employers at least - don't care what uni you went to.” – I’m sorry but how can you make a rash generalisation like that about employers. So just because an employer has standards about certain Universities, lets call it a qualified professional opinion then that makes them a bad employer? I really don’t think so.

“we get the same theoretical skills plus more practical skills and experiences”
– This is just a useful quote because you contradict a couple of times. But out of interest, give me some examples from the degree you are doing compared to other universities.

“well woopdiedoo...

that's one opinion of one employer...

i can give you dozens from half a dozen legal practioners, half a dozen HR professionals”
– And everything you have written is just your opinion. If you don’t care what employers say, why are you so keen to quote employers who think that UWS is such a great university.

anyways to those of you bitching and whinging about law at different unis who say no one high up respects the UWS course - Assistant to the DPP until 2004, Samantha Mitchell, straight up said to me “…You're just going to be paying more for a little prestige which by the time you graduate doesn't mean anything"” – Okay, so are we going to listen to what employers think or not. Also are you implying that what you gain from going to other universities that aren’t USW is a waste of time, because it “doesn’t mean anything”

“so what, coz i didn't go to ANU i have less ability than someone at ANU?” – So what because I didn’t go to UWS, that means I don’t have the same ability of someone at UWS, or I don’t have more ability? I mean it works both ways.

“yeah way to compare Harvard with UWS - that comparison is just moronic, the US uni system is totally different to here and its ridiculous to compare Harvard to UWS since UWS has only been open since 1997” – So who can we compare UWS to? Also, falling behind the fact that you’re a young university is not a strong argument. You a uni, so you are naturally compared to other unis whether it Harvard or ANU, etc.

“anyway, your opinion is virtually worthless ... as you said "my opinion is that in my da's opinion"... yeah top argument.... for all we know your dad's a school teacher or a nurse or a cop or something else completely irrelevant.” –People could say the same thing to you? They could also say that about anyone you quote.

“the instant anyone disagrees they're apparently full of shit..” – That is pretty much how you have treated any differing opinion on this thread.

“plenty of rich kids get into uni courses they don't deserve to on the basis of academics just coz they have money” – I’m sorry that’s a pretty biased comment. For example people who do Law at USYD or UNSW and are fee paying needed an UAI that would have enabled them to get into UWS Law. So yeah they got into their uni course because they are rich, not because they are capable of doing the work and just missed out. If they weren’t capable because of their academics they would all fail. Wake up to yourself.

if you're good at what you do people will know who you are. If you're some bottom level pleb at a top tier firm no one will know who you are.” – Totally agree with you, but why do you need to diminish someone who works just like anyone else?

it would hold about 50 times more weight if it wasn't something you'd written yourself” – Just another example of your bias. Anyone who has an opinion that doesn’t match yours must be wrong!

“i simply said it would hold more weight if it was a 3rd party

supporting an argument with your own research or whatever it was from is no where near as valid as using another academic source.... its as invalid as using a word in its own definition”
– Everyone knows what you meant. And if that is what you really thought, why did you cut the opinion down again, labelling it “as invalid as using a word in its own definition”. I’m sure a lot of what you say is pretty much the same – useless.

“one guy who work for a law firm who does family and ER law said that they tend to look for marks and personality and communication skills over experience as if you look at experience you're likely to disadvantage those who weren't lucky enough to have family links etc as that makes getting experience much easier than someone left on their own to figure it all out.... plus this guy said that in his opinino it's easier to train and intelligent mind that create intelligence in a trained mind - ie it's easier to get a HD student who has an indepth understanding of the concepts to apply this knowledge regardless of experience than itis to cretae a competent professional out of someone with lotsa random experienec but only a pass average/poor understandnig of key concepts” – Okay, so first of all you criticise another uni about being too theory based , or rather quote some criticism (whichever you want). Then you decide down the track, good marks mean that you understand theory which is a good quality. So then the practical skills you claim your uni teaches better are for what? According to someone who you seem to think is a good source to quote, theory is better.

“he said he knows that if she says uws law students are good quality, he knows they are...”
– isn’t that just an example of reverse discrimination against other Universities. So you got a job because of a biased opinion.

“i mean... he was whinging about a past employee from a non-uws uni - won't say who but he was hired for the same job as i have a few years back and was almost illiterate! his response was more or less how the crap did you pass uni if you can't spell!!! (nb - the guy mispelt "Australia" )” – I thought you were trying to say that its not good to go around criticising other universities. Here you are implying that they are. And even though you don’t mention a name, it is still achieving the same purpose.

“i mean... far out! people need to get over this bullshit uni-bashing they give uws...particularly law students” – excuse me, that’s a bit rich coming from someone who goes out of their way to say negative things about any uni but UWS.

“1 - who cares - you shouldn't be picking uni based on other's perception as this perception is largely generated by other unis' students and doesn't mean shit in teh end really..” – if you really believed that, why are you partaking in it. I mean most mature students at uni are comfortable with where they are going, and don’t even consider these ‘generated’ opinions. Also, most of what you have been saying has been generating an opinion about other unis.

“so i mean... it depends on what you wanna do for a course and what you wanna do with it - ie what job - but its not like you're not gonna get hired just coz you went to uws ” – It’s not like I’m not going to get hired because I didn’t go to UWS as well.

“you should just go post with the other idiots in the unsw n usyd threads because it's pointless in here”
– wow, that’s really having conviction and following through with what you say. So its okay for you to make generalisation about other universities. Hey everyone, unsw and usyd people are idiots. My mistake.

“if i wanted to do poliical studies or internation studies as well, no way in hell would i have gone to uws even with the scholarships, if i wanted to do anything history related, no way would i have gone to uws..”
– here you have it, one of the few honest things said by a UWS student. So this is plainly admitting that in some areas UWS is a bit lacking. I’m sure in other areas it is ahead.

“and since when is what i say gospel? other people are smart enough to take from it what they will - they don't need you analysing my every word to tell them what to think.” – Yeah, I agree most of what you say is on the right track, but you just have to go over the top and make shit up.

“stop analysing what i say for other people - they can think for themselves.”
– so then why do you feel the need to analyse what anyone else says, to shoot it down, or just disrespect their opinions.

“obviously everything i have said IS based on mine and friends/colleagues experiences and anyone with half a brain can see that... obviously its not always the case but who cares - all i was getting at was that being a UWS student will not stop you being successful like people make out and in certain lines of work it will push you ahead of others”
– Yes I totally agree, and in some areas not being a UWS student will push you a head in your career.

“its just someones opinion...”
– so is what other people say, right or wrong. This is my opinion.

“if anything these comments should be given more consideration than the ramblings of students who respond with "well... not everyone says that - i know a guy who thinks uws is shit"....”
– So should we treat what you say the same?

“lol - i find it so funny that other people come in here and make stupid claims like that when there are those of us who could easily have gone elsewhere, and already have jobs! proving you can get a job being even a 1st year student, who chose UWS ...” – Big deal! I didn’t go to USW, I’m a first year student and I also have a job. Yippy for me.

“"i think uws sucks, i think my uni's better, i think employers think uws students suck, i think uws students got shit UAIs" - havent any of you noticed it is ALL your opinion?

even if you were right in some cases - who cares! of course some employers are going to be narrow minded and backward - but they will be the ones who will suffer in the end by hiring all snobby WASP city uni grads... why would any student in their right mind want to work for such a firm?”
– just another example of your bias. So employers who value certain universities are stupid. And Grads from anywhere that isn’t UWS are snobby WASP (by the way I don’t know what that means). Yeah and I bet your shit doesn’t stink as well.

“cut offs have nothing to do with the quality of the students - its just about demand. So the low cut offs shouldn't be an issue... but people are dopey so it still is... ” – you are wrong, wrong, WRONG! Cut offs have nothing to do with the quality of the course being offered. But your UAI is a rank, last time I checked. So at each Uni there are outstanding students, but as a group, the higher ranked students did not go to UWS, hence the low cut offs. But you can still have good courses.

That will do.

L

LaraB

for fucks sake you need to get a life... some of that shit is from sooooo long ago and is COMPLETELY out of context... you have completely misunderstood what half of that even meant to start with - although - you get that when you take 10 words out of a 100 word post and base a criticism on that alone...

you're pathetic

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)