what do people in Canberra do for fun? (1 Viewer)

philphie

Banned
HSC
do you guys just ransack old parliament house or something?

make the 3 hour drive into sydney?

what?

spazamataz

HSC
I don't live there, but close enough. Its quite a boring place, like theres the usual you can do anywhere else and thats it, it has nothing else to offer. Just full of crap drivers and public servants.

JustinOCo

HSC
I Don't live in canberra, but i live close enough (1 Hour, goulburn) and i reckon that canberra has heaps of stuff to do; paintball, bowling, laser tag, many a nightclub type place, movies(granted they are way expensive).

when me and my friends get bored we go down to canberra, so much better then sydney through the way that it is set out (being planned and all) and roads/signposts are immensly helpful.

philphie

Banned
HSC
all those things i can pretty much do i sydney. if anyone here is from sydney who has been to canberra for a relatively long period, is there a newtown/indie music scene kind of place in canberra? if there is then i can survive

JustinOCo

HSC
all those things i can pretty much do i sydney. if anyone here is from sydney who has been to canberra for a relatively long period, is there a newtown/indie music scene kind of place in canberra? if there is then i can survive
there is well and truly and indie scene in canberra
best place i have seen for this is transit bar, they have free gigs nearly every weekend of mostly indie music, it is rather awesome.
I'm looking forward to being a uni student down there for $2 double blacks at mooseheads, yay for cheap booze

spazamataz

HSC
The closest you will get to that is probably Civic, but its nothing like the Newtown scene (ive spent long periods of time in both places having family in both places). Urgh i hate how Canberra is all planned, its so artificial!
But yes, Canberra is much better than Goulburn, anywhere is better than Goulburn :p

bio_nut

HSC
hahahahaha Mooseheads, oh dear. ewwwwww.

Drinks are pretty damn cheap out at Civic compared to Syd though, wow. Was in shock last time.

philphie

Banned
HSC
ah ok thanks for the insight guys. i might be going to ANU so just wanted to see what i was in for, haven't signed up for any residential colleges yet though, is this a bad thing?

spazamataz

HSC
ah ok thanks for the insight guys. i might be going to ANU so just wanted to see what i was in for, haven't signed up for any residential colleges yet though, is this a bad thing?
Yes, very very very bad thing, dont mean to scare you, but it is. Theres a massive housing crisis in Canberra so accommodation goes quick. I know that Burgmann has already filled up (as I was rejected lol) but if you've got an awesome ATAR I don't think you will have any trouble. NOTE: to reduce my credibility, but to be honest, im not going to ANU anymore (could probably tell from my sig.)

Last edited:

philphie

Banned
HSC
wow living in sydney all my life i never knew how expensive it really was, the only indications that i've had is our inflated property values

philphie

Banned
HSC
Yes, very very very bad thing, dont mean to scare you, but it is. Theres a massive housing crisis in Canberra so accommodation goes quick. I know that Burgmann has already filled up (as I was rejected lol) but if you've got an awesome ATAR I don't think you will have any trouble.
ah well main round offers haven't started yet so that's why i haven't applied, it was one of my lower preferences so i'm not sure i'm going to ANU. can i still apply even if i might not end up going?

Tofuu

HSC
been there and it wasn't too lively

don't think theres too much to do there

Sparcod

Hello!
HSC
If you enjoy nature, then you might enjoy living in Canberra. There are decent walking tracks and outdoor activities based around there.

Got2Kno91

HSC
Canberra is actually pretty close to some great beach towns and coastline on the South Coast. It's around 45 minutes to Bateman's Bay. Tip: keep heading south till you hit the Narooma/Dalmeny/Kianga region. It's the best spot on the NSW coast that i'm yet to find. Just beautiful.

spazamataz

HSC
ah well main round offers haven't started yet so that's why i haven't applied, it was one of my lower preferences so i'm not sure i'm going to ANU. can i still apply even if i might not end up going?
Yeah, just apply anyway, they give out heaps of offers before the main round (for accommodation).

On the positive though, they do offer an accommodation guarantee. That might jus be for regional students though, i'd double check.

philphie

Banned
HSC
the outdoor stuff sounds pretty good, although when i go camping i don't like to go anywhere near where i'm living.

45 minutes from the beach? wow that's fairly close, closer than i thought canberra would be to something like that.

i guess i'll sign up for accom at ANU

anyone know the certain personalities of each res. college?

Got2Kno91

HSC
the outdoor stuff sounds pretty good, although when i go camping i don't like to go anywhere near where i'm living.

45 minutes from the beach? wow that's fairly close, closer than i thought canberra would be to something like that.

i guess i'll sign up for accom at ANU

anyone know the certain personalities of each res. college?
Actually, it might actually not be that close on second thought lol. I know that many Canberrans make the weekend trek to Bateman's Bay and the rest of the South Coast though. It looks pretty close on a map.

philphie

Banned
HSC
haha, makes me think whenever i check on google maps for directions, no matter how far it is i always think "yeah i could walk it"

memento

HSC
ANU has a beautiful campus, i love it
uni accommodation is just expensive, but convenient enough for you to get around in the 1st year. sharing a house is much cheaper and flexible

the city is pretty boring tho

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)