What english should I do (1 Viewer)

pscecelia

HSC
Im just wondering which english should I pick; advance or standard?

my SC results for english was 80 which is a band 5( i no what ur thinking ...." whatta dumbass" LOL)

if i get an 80 now does that mean the yr 11 and 12 course will be slightly harder and I may/will fall behind, if i picked advance?
also i wanna do law aswell

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A

my SC results for english was 80 which is a band 5( i no what ur thinking ...." whatta dumbass" LOL)

if i get an 80 now does that mean the yr 11 and 12 course will be slightly harder and I may/will fall behind, if i picked advance?
Year 11 is different to Year 10. Few try in Year 10 English. Do Advanced, you always have the option to drop to Standard if you think you are not coping.

Remember, you have two years to work on your essay writing skills.

D94

HSC
N/A
SC performance should have no bearing on HSC performance if you work hard in Year 11 and 12. The stuff you learn is quite different though.

pokka

d'ohnuts
HSC
For now, I would pick advanced if I were you. Yr 10 is nothing like Yr 11 and 12, you'll see its a big jump but you can work hard on your writing (constantly write practice essays!) and analysis of texts so by the end of Yr 11 you can make the decision to stay in advanced or move to english standard depending on your marks. and btw I chose English Standard in Yr 12 (I kinda bombed english advanced in Yr 11) and I don't regret it all :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I got 79 in SC English.
Picked advanced and teacher told me to drop to standard.
Dropped and came first in HSC, but with a much lower mark than I could've gotten in advanced.
Moral of the story: never do standard.

jnney

lemon
HSC
I got a band 5 in English in SC too. I still ended up topping the grade in year 11! Practice, practice. Do advanced.

bleakarcher

HSC
lol. @realisenothing, i had a lawyer friend who took standard.

Kimyia

HSC
Uni Grad
ignore SC. SC means absolutely nothing and has no bearing whatsoever on year 11 unless you let it get to your confidence. do advanced. its more interesting and the marks are better. and if its not working, its all too easy to drop to standard but if you start out in standard, it is very, very hard to get up to advanced.

wildchild666

HSC
@RealiseNothing My older brother did Standard English and is studying Law at the moment.

enoilgam

HSC
Do advanced - standards horrid aligning makes it extremely difficult to get a good mark in the subject. Also, HSC english is near useless for law - humanities subjects like the histories and legal studies are far more useful.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
lol. @realisenothing, i had a lawyer friend who took standard.
@RealiseNothing My older brother did Standard English and is studying Law at the moment.
Wasn't saying you couldn't do law with standard. My point was that he is asking if advanced would be too difficult, yet he wants to do law. I was just saying that if he wants to do law, then advanced shouldn't be a problem, because if it is, then maybe he isn't cut out for law.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad

I got 83 (Band 5) which is not really any better than your mark and I'm choosing Advanced! (Well, my new school in Year 11 doesn't offer Standard but even if I had a choice, I'd still choose Advanced any day!)
Do advanced!

pscecelia

HSC
Okies I just needed a confidence boost, that's all heheheheheh, anyways, I was wondering for yr 11 what do I need to focus on in English , in terms Of tutoring. Im trying to get a one on one tutor, so can anyone tell me what will I need to tell him to focus on ( even tho he is a tutor , he probably knows what he is doing but I just need REASSURANCE)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
^Essays, and identifying and deconstructing techniques for unseen texts and stuff.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
Advanced. Standard English isn't gonna benefit you for law trust me. SC is irrelevant to later years.

Procrastinati0n

HSC
Definitely definitely do advanced. The level of difficulty is not that different plus the scaling for standard is pretty bad. It's also really hard to get a good mark for standard. Coming top 15% in Advanced is just as good as coming top 3% in standard, according to people.
Oh and about the English tutoring thing, just go through essays and stuff. Year 11 English is unnecessary so instead you could focus on the HSC Area of Study stuff like creative writing and how to answer un-seen texts questions (comprehension).

marshmallow23

HSC
N/A
I'd recommend you to do Advanced English. There is always room for improvement and if you feel that Advanced English is too hard, you can always drop to Standard English. If you choose Standard English and are finding it quite easy, then it is hard and merely impossible to go to Advanced English. My advice: Choose Advanced English. & what's so bad about an 80 for your SC? You did your best! And your SC will not reflect your HSC marks. If you are consistent with your study, you will do well! :) Hope I helped! :) Take care.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)