what is the best public school out there? (1 Viewer)

best public school...?

• James Ruse Agricultural High School

Votes: 32 25.4%
  • North Sydney Boys/Girls High School

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Baulkham Hills High School

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Killara High School

• Cheltenham Girls High School

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • Sydney Boys/Girls High School

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • Hurlstone Agricultural High School

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Northern Beaches Secondary College (any campus)

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • Fort Street High School

• Caringbah High School

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
oki... this has gone WAY off topic
No one gives a shit abt a guy who travels from the gong to the city to go to High... ffs until this thread started i hadnt even heard of High.

And as for JR, its a good school... and AGRICULTURAL school as well as just being a normal school. IF u dont like cows n pigs n farm things then of course ur not gonna want to go there. If i had been offered a place at the shithole i would have taken it, becoz im interested in that stuff... but it a personal preference. Dont just bag the school out becoz it caters for other interests than ur own.

Plz, RE-READ THE TOPIC... that is what this thread is here for... not some petty ego stroking or making a ur school look like a saint. Every school has its skeletons as well as its tropheys.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Action?

How is attending that one school make a student more worthy than another who is also willing to travel for over an hour (add 20 to 30 minutes if you want to be precise as to the actual distance) each way to attend their chosen school?

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by eviltama:
...ffs until this thread started i hadnt even heard of High.
You should have. Dammit, we're Sydney High. Know us.

On the topic of baggin' JR out, well, let me ask you a rhetorical question: don't you bag out your (top) competition? phenol has every reason to bag out JR, I'm perfectly chill with that. As long as he does not target individuals, it is a good way to bond in school pride and unity.

Remember, 'tama, HSC is a team effort... the assessment marks are moderated with the people in your form. You want others in your school to do well so you can do well. Therefore, you would want support your peers and kick other school's asses. This includes bagging other schools to reinforce your own determination and loyalty in your school (boys need a lot of ego-feeding).

As you can see, I'm not targeting individuals from JR. In fact, I have a lot of friends there. We just want to beat their school in general.

I may have gone off-topic, but you realise that it did not, in fact, spring from me, but bobo123. The others just joined in to support my school. Finally, I agree with your last statement:

Every school has its skeletons as well as its tropheys.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Generator:
How is attending that one school make a student more worthy than another who is also willing to travel for over an hour (add 20 to 30 minutes if you want to be precise as to the actual distance) each way to attend their chosen school?
What do you mean? I guess what you're trying to ask is that how does going to a school of further distance makes a student more worthy?

Normally, the question is no, it does not make a student more worthy. But in this case, I do not believe "more worthy" is the correct term. Instead, it should be replaced by the phrase, "a better all-rounder". Surely, with what the others and I have been saying, you realise High breeds a school of all-rounders?

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
oki... this has gone WAY off topic
No one gives a shit abt a guy who travels from the gong to the city to go to High... ffs until this thread started i hadnt even heard of High.
eviltama >> Where have u been in the past 180 years eh? Playing Rubik's cube in ur mummy'a pounch and not wanting to come out? how cute :p

If you dont even know Sydney High then why make your one sided comment? ok, so you like to play with animals - fine with us - just dont give us the details. Feel insulted? Good
If you want to make a personal comment and not be insulted by others then DONT insult other people's comments in the first place. Repent!

Plz, RE-READ THE TOPIC... that is what this thread is here for... not some petty ego stroking or making a ur school look like a saint. Every school has its skeletons as well as its tropheys.
Woooo... more big words... a bit TOO big for you... I like the alliterative s, that's as far as it goes. Try a size lower, might fit u!

At least we are willing to make our school look prestigious - MUCH better than some newbie who just goes to school for 6 years without any school pride or care - that's bloody arrogance mate. Not many schools have this sort of unity/pride/spirit - High does - James Ruse, bah far from it, maybe another 20 or so years.

A High boy is willing to travel that distance and be proud of it.
He would think - I am sacrificing this time for the good of Sydney High. He would be proud of Sydney High.

We are not bagging out other schools. As long as a student is proud of their school then we respect him!

Right frigid?

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
If you dont even know Sydney High then why make your one sided comment? ok, so you like to play with animals - fine with us - just dont give us the details. Feel insulted? Good
Oh excuse me for not knowing Sydney High... i'm just a poor little kid out woop woop way who has more brains than to be bothered with a bunch of stuck up little kiddies who go to a school where big $$$ = Enflated egos.
Insulted, no far from it. Is there a reason i should feel insulted? Were u alluding to something? I couldnt tell...
*watches the sarcasm drip off her words*

If you want to make a personal comment and not be insulted by others then DONT insult other people's comments in the first place. Repent!
i also insulted other ppls comments? Oh boy i must be losing it, i missed that one too. Sydney high isnt a catholic school is it? i mean repent? What moron tells someone to 'Repent!'?

At least we are willing to make our school look prestigious - MUCH better than some newbie who just goes to school for 6 years without any school pride or care - that's bloody arrogance mate. Not many schools have this sort of unity/pride/spirit - High does -
Prestigious, far from it, ur making your school into a laughing stock. People can have pride in their schools and have no need to brandish it around like a new toy. unity? Pride? Spirit? - all i've seen is a bunch of morons bagging out schools becoz they are not seen as 'presitigious' or worthy. I have more school pride than u will ever have, but i dont think it'd do my school any good to make ridiculous posts on a forum that is already a waste of space.

You say u respect ppl with school pride? then show it.

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
Prestigious, far from it, ur making your school into a laughing stock. People can have pride in their schools and have no need to brandish it around like a new toy. unity? Pride? Spirit? - all i've seen is a bunch of morons bagging out schools becoz they are not seen as 'presitigious' or worthy. I have more school pride than u will ever have, but i dont think it'd do my school any good to make ridiculous posts on a forum that is already a waste of space.
Wow, the arrogance. You really havent anything better to say right?
To a moron, everyone else seems a moron.

I guess it is pointless arguing with you. Because you are not arguing, you are merely accusing.
Learn some manners from your mother then come back. You'll need it in life. At least in Cabramatta.

Watch ur ass!

bobo123

HSC
lets try not to get TOO personal here. That animal reference was a bit below the belt.

ROFL envy to the max yo~ :)
you say i have something to be envious of?
more ego to the max then :)

Last edited:

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
watch my ass...

oh my... i feel so threatened...

You gotta be a moron to know one mate.

phenol

Argonaute
HSC
watch out eviltama

if i ever find out who u are in real life, i am gonna knife your family

dont mess with cabramatta

MML

GOD OF BOS
HSC
what is the meaning arguing on like this??.....are we now really talking abt which is the best school or are we going on about some meaningless personal insults?? Us HIghs are here from start is only to trying to compete for the title of the best school, but somehow we r involved in this situation which everyone is ganging up on us. And not only this, they are solely trying to kick High off the top with no reasons. I don't mind if u stand up to us with your school's name infront of you, but, hiding and hitting us from behind is really no act of some one with honour and pride.

i would have to say ruse, look at their achievements this yr

btw- sorry for my useless spaming, i regret this action
sory for any offence

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
we love you HIGH

This thread has seriesly been over the place and really random. There have been several accussations of HIGH, and although I don't agree with what people are saying and know for a fact that it is wrong, I realise that it is very hard for someone to understand HIGH if they've never been to HIGH, let alone spoken in real life to a HIGH boy. I only hope that those of you that are taking cheap shots at HIGH are as happy and proud of their own schools as I am of mine. If that is so then that's great. Otherwise you guys have missed out, but don't worry there IS more to life. Just that for me personally, and for many other HIGH boys, being part of the institution that is HIGH is a great feeling, to be part of the history and to be among great peers........

But please no more insults/threats/accussation/etc

Generator

HSC
N/A
'But please no more insults/threats/accussation/etc'
It's great to see that just after a person from 'High' has threatened to knife another member of the forums.

Please call it by it's full name, as using 'High' rather than Sydney High could be why so many people are annoyed with your attitudes.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Back.

Okay, screw my net limit; I'll argue for my school even if bill goes through da roof!
:chainsaw:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Generator:

Please call it by it's full name, as using 'High' rather than Sydney High could be why so many people are annoyed with your attitudes.
Our school name, in full, is Sydney Boys' High School. Our competition, our nick, our trademark on the sporting field is High. Live with it. I didn't make it up, nor did the others.

Originally posted by Generator
It's great to see that just after a person from 'High' has threatened to knife another member of the forums.
Oh, REALLY, Generator? How about I fire-bomb yO House bi@tch!?!
Can't you tell the difference between an inane threat and a substantial one? As if phenol's really gonna chuck his gangsta attitude and knife eviltama's guts in.

So...call me if he does, will you? :p

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eviltama:

Oh excuse me for not knowing Sydney High... i'm just a poor little kid out woop woop way who has more brains than to be bothered with a bunch of stuck up little kiddies who go to a school where big $$$ = Enflated egos.
You're excused for your ignorance, 'tama... I don't care about your socio-economic condition, and I also don't care where you live, but, by your constant intervention into bobo123 and my debate, you've made yourself the target of many a High Boy. Not so much your fault, as your stupidity. In fact, my school is nowhere as rich as the private schools, of which charge over 10K pa in fees. My school is a poor, yet successful, public school. I hope we will not continue to argue that.

Oh, and it's inflated egos, not "enflated egos (sic)", but I'm sure you, "who has more brains" already knew about that typo. Way "more brains"? Somehow I don't think so.

Are you laughing? Am I laughing? No, my friend, we're talking about serious issues here. Although you and phenol have been exchanging vociferous insults, that is no fault of my own. I merely aim to promote my school to others as the title of this thread: "the best public school".

Also note, "worthy" was only a term used by Generator, not me, first. But IMHO, worthy is a good adjective to describe the High boys.

And in regards to who has more school pride, then I concede... sure - you may have more school pride, sure - your words deem it so, sure - you are a fool not to realise that arguing for your school's name in threads such as these, when others (bobo, I'm talking about you) are dissing it, is not a "ridiculous" action. In fact, it is not unlike defending your father/mother when I verbally insult him/her (hypothetically).; it is natural and understandable. To me, to phenol, to many others, High is our extended family. That is why phenol's blood, and so mine, boils when you insult our school. That, my friend, is school pride, in its purist, highest form.

That is all I have to say; if "moron" further objects, I'll stab'em. :D

Last edited:

eviltama

Mentally Deranged Maniac
HSC
u might as well close this thread, its getting nowhere anymore. Just a whole lotta mud slinging.

you've made yourself the target of many a High Boy. Not so much your fault, as your stupidity. In fact, my school is nowhere as rich as the private schools, of which charge over 10K pa in fees. My school is a poor, yet successful, public school. I hope we will not continue to argue that.
The target of many a High Boy, oh well should i feel honoured now? If u spent that much time targeting me u mustnt do much else. Sydney Boy's High is poor?!?! Someone use the dictionary n look up the meaning of poor. I have not argued that your school isnt successful nor that it was anything other than wat u lot claimed be. When i first entered the arguement my aim had been to point out to u High boy's that there are other worthy schools out there, ones that aren't JR or High. You still dont seem to have grasped that fact.

Are you laughing? Am I laughing? No, my friend, we're talking about serious issues here.
Yep i've been laughing, u may not be.. but im sure there have been plently who have. Oh serious issues? Who, what and where? This threat has been a load of crock since High was bought into the picture... all these posts seem to do now is argue n insult. That was never the point, methinks.

* gets ready to be stabbed* :p

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Eviltama:
Someone use the dictionary n look up the meaning of poor.
"poor - adjective. 1 - having little or nothing in they way of wealth, goods, or means of subsistence."
- The Macquarie Dictionary

How is High poor? Good question.

Without much other resources, I've cited two articles: High's Annual Report 2001 and Bossley Park Public School's (my sister's school) Annual Report 2002. Now before you tell me wtf are you doing Frigid - you comparing a high school to a primary school - let me say, one expects a high school to have more income, more expenditure and finally, a bigger balance carried forward. Now I'll let some numbers do the talking:

Income:
Balance Brought Foward: (SBHS) $137.2K ; (BPPS) $218.7K
Total Income for year: (SBHS) $1.9M ; (BPPS) $618.8K

Expenditure:
Total Expenditure: (SBHS) $1.8M; (BPPS) $398.6K
Balance Carried Forward:: (SBHS) $190K ; (BPPS) $ 220.3K

As it is clearly shown, in both the start and the end of the year, my sister's school, my sister's normal public primary school, managed to have more funds than High. Are we not poor, when we have less money, obviously, than my sister's school? And this is not counting the fact that our school is normally compared with the private boys' schools of the GPS, whose budgets extend to the tens of millions. Therefore, in their eyes, or even in the eyes of a humble local public school, our budget is one of paltriness. I again hope you do not disagree.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How come, eviltama, you do not dare to quote the larger lengths of my post? Do you fear that by extending your quote, some truth might leak out? Are you afraid that I have already answered your pathetic rebuttals, as fully and aptly as I can? Do you realise that you yourself, although you say you want this thread closed, are preventing its closure by your continual remarks to salvage whatever is left of your face? Are you aware that all of your arguments in regards to us, the High boys, have been lacking in substance and wanting in style? Why is it, I ask, that I answer all of your retorts soundly and with evidence, yet you cannot answer mine?

After I made that last comment ("I hope we will not continue to argue that"), why must you to continue to spite me, when anyone of us has done you no wrong? Why must you intrude into another's debate? Why!?! Your argument, to me, so far, has consisted of poor assumptions and a few "moronic" insults. Yet you cannot, as I can, back your argument up with solid evidence. See - I am giving you something other than "mud slinging". What say you?

Nothing. Nothing that is solid as the evidence I've collected: no first hand experiences, no facts against mine. You cannot hope, in all the world, to win by your petty pot-shots. Neither did I aim to insult you, nor harm you, but you deliberately aimed it at me. Neither did I specifically insult another school, nor did I target individuals, but you deliberately targeted me.

Even if I did not have the numbers in this thread, you know I have the undeniable evidence.
et tu? nihil.

I rest my case.
May the good gentlemen of the bench choose the victor wisely.

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
we love you HIGH

The debate or whatever you guys want to call it continues.....
I don't intend to prolong it much longer, just want to clarify a thing or two.

A few of you have been saying how it is quite arrogant that we call ourselves HIGH and not Sydney High or Sydney Boys or whatever. I'm not sure where that nick started but most likely from our involvement in the GPS, as we are the only HIGH school, all the others are colleges and or just schools. Therefore, as I see it they started just calling us HIGH and the name stuck as it is short. In no way is it different to Sydney Grammar people just calling themselves Grammar or James Ruse just calling themselves Ruse, or St Ignatius- Iggies, etc.

Also, Bon you are right that in the rank of the number of mentions on the merit list Ruse did come top lats year. If I'm correct, they have done so for the majority of the last decade if not longer. But I believe that the original intention of this thread was to not only focus on the academic side but the public school which was the best overall (ie academia, sports, music, arts, cadets, debating, etc). Now obviosuly there could be no device to measure this. Therefore it has been put up to discussion, and I don't think anyone is actually trying to convince anyone else that their school is better, just trying to share with people of their pride or satisfaction or whatever of their school.

But as I said in my last post here, just calm down people. Lets agree to disagree.

Originally posted by Bambul
What if we are going by the British definition of a "public school" (non state-school)? Then none of the options would be valid.

And for the record, that it why the GPS (Great Public Schools) is comprised entirely (bar Sydney Boys) of private schools.
mate, we're talkin about the hsc, this is a hsc site,not some irrelevent british oliver twist school-by the way stop arguing about this subject people are always biased toward where they live and who they know.all got pros and cons it's up to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)