What is the first thing you'll do (1 Viewer)

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
1st year advanced physics - zzZZZZzzz -_- chucking in numbers into equations

2nd year advanced physics - zzZZZZzzz -_- zzzZZZZZZz chucking more numbers into really weird incoherent equations indirectly and explaining WTF they mean. Astrophysics was fun, because it was mainly theory, no stupid find yadda yadda like electrodynamics omg...

applied maths is, however, fun.

jeremiahk

HSC
Im surprised how many people here actually did more than one prep course.

Those things are expensive like hell.

jynxe

HSC
I'm also surprised people would go to more than one course. Isn't that overkill? ACER says you can't really prepare for the UMAT, and aside from shape-finding, I thought that was true. I'd like to think that if I did one course and failed, it would mean that I didn'thave the natural ability at that stage to enter med, and I'd be able to accept that. Isn't that the reason why they have a UMAT? I guess if you're wiling to spend the money though, hey...it's yours to through away.

I went to Dallas, and I didn't even want to attend the second day of his lecturers. I asked friends from a previous year and not a single one took his main "pointers" for the interview, and all of them made it into UNSW Med. For anyone who really wants to know they, they were:

Don't mention doctors in the family, or medical students. Don't mention your surburb or school, particularly if it's in a remotely wealthy area. Don't mention anything ethnic or religious, such as Indian Dancing, or traditional cultural singing. Don't mention a love for reading, classical music, or particupation in an orchestra (because evidently only private schools have orchestras, and only rich people can afford instruments and lessons). Tell people you play footy and cricket with your family and neighbours, that you speak English and home.

For any furture Med students...Don't do that course. It was utter crap.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Haha! Evidently he IS wrong, since everyone I know in med would have broken at least one of these rules. Mine were playing the clarinet (while most certainly NOT being rich) in a symphonic wind ensemble and orchestra, not playing "footy and cricket", being religious (I went all out on that one), studying an Asian language and going to a selective (but PUBLIC) school.

nit

HSC
I agree with the stuff above, but the one thing that Dallas did provide - which was extremely useful - was the whole complement of UNSW interview questions - ie the pool of questions from which the interviewers can ask their questions. I believe the Dallas course was useful simply for the fact that he provided those 50-odd questions. But yes, treat some of his pointers with caution.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Those are available elsewhere - before he maliciously and with shady legality attacked AusMedStudent, those and myriad more interview questions were available for free to anyone who should care to look for them.

David_O

HSC
N/A
nit said:
I agree with the stuff above, but the one thing that Dallas did provide - which was extremely useful - was the whole complement of UNSW interview questions - ie the pool of questions from which the interviewers can ask their questions. I believe the Dallas course was useful simply for the fact that he provided those 50-odd questions. But yes, treat some of his pointers with caution.
Was this list in the LMS? The questions in the LMS basically number 5; each worded in 10 different ways.

nit

HSC
Well the 2nd day of the prep course last year consisted almost exclusively of taking down and going through those 55 questions or so, with some questions being seemingly redundant.

sovietski

HSC
I got some really got info too regarding interview

Be yourself and be honest!!!!!

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
but don't say something Lexi would say like "I love cuttin' and choppin' people up, especially FRESH specimens!"

hehehe
CHeers rob :D

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Nah I didn't say that at the interview. However a friend of mine did talk at length about his fascination with programmed cell death (apoptosis).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)