What is the hardest part of the Syllubus (1 Viewer)

Which part of MODULE 1 is the hardest?

• Petroleum + Ethene (Fractional Distillation + Cat' Cracking)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Polymerisation + Polymers

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Concepts of Biopolymers

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Biopolymers (a case study)

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • Ethanol + Fermentation

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Calculating molar heat of combustion (burning an alcohol)

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Electrochemical concepts (oxidation & reduction etc..)

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Electrochemistry : Galvanic Cells +emf

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • Nuclear Chemistry Concepts

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Radioisotopes

Votes: 8 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

funking_you

Chem Students,

What do you believe to be the hardest and/or most challenging part of the syllabus for
Module One: Identifcation & Production of Materials

VOTE IN THE POLL ABOVE

Last edited by a moderator:

tennille

HSC
I feel so special. I'm the first one to vote. I found calculating the molar heat of combustion to be the hardest bit.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
lol i found calculating the molar heat of combustion the easiest part!!! all the rest was equally hard. too hard to pick just one. yeh the heats of combustion is just maths! i LOVE maths so it was easy. simple formulas and yeah

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Focus areas 1 and 4 were my favourite. Focus area 3 was the 'hardest' in the sense that it was massive and the dotpoints were similar but different, and it seemed to demand a lot more of you than the other 4 focus areas.

Focus area 4 also can have some nasty questions, so...

I'd certainly rule out Focus areas 1,2 and 5, though.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
The first topic is all pretty simple from what I can remember, apart from the fact that there's a lot of rote learning.

tennille

HSC
Sorry, I accidentally sent the wrong post twice.

theChemCoach said:
why? ......
Different textbooks explained the concept of heat of combustion in different ways. I got really confused. Once I found out the right way (or the more clearer way), it wasn't as hard as I thought. But still...harder than the rest. I'm better at memorising.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Wow. I was expecting people to find redox to be easy and emf to be hard... obviously not.

nomz

i found most of the first module ok... it was the acid and base one i hated! But if i had to pick my weakest part i'd say probably hte radiation stuff- cuz we never actually learnt it properly and i had no idea what how you made radioisotopes etc so i had to make up stuff

HSC
radioisotopes is the best! i find it the easiest, i went and did all of electrochem on my macquire book and got them all right

macquire hasnt got alot of questions, i need to get more or get surfing chem (That has shitloads)

Scanorama

HSC
I found the hardest were Petroleum + Ethene (Fractional Distillation + Cat' Cracking)Polymerisation + Polymers. Different kind of monomers, polymers are very confusing. Other were all right, towards the end of the year, I was doing very good at molar relationship calculations.

funking_you

Chem Students,

how many people have actually used Chem Molecular Modelling Kits, (those ball and stick models where you can make compounds)?

It is actually a mandatory task for all chemistry students.

Trev

stix
HSC
our teacher made us use them for the first few pracs, but rarely now.
do you guys think equilibrium is a difficult topic (in comparison to the others), (ie. le chateliers principle.....)?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
theChemCoach said:
Chem Students,

how many people have actually used Chem Molecular Modelling Kits, (those ball and stick models where you can make compounds)?

We used them.

Trev: I think equilibria are easier than, say, heat of combustion or potential difference.

tennille

HSC
theChemCoach said:
Chem Students,

Yeah, I did too.

Trev

stix
HSC
Slide Rule said:
We used them.

Trev: I think equilibria are easier than, say, heat of combustion or potential difference.
really? i think heat of combustion is alot easier because its basically just a formula..... with "equilibria" you have to learn what happens in diff situations, i hate remembering :p
potential difference - should i know what this is? i cant even remember hearing of this, is it in module 1 or module 2 (up to 'acid rain' section)?

Sphyx

Asphyxiated
HSC
MolyMod!!!!! It is the bomb dot com. How i love MolyMod - especially when we build a cellulose molecule that was as wide as a classroom!

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Trev said:
really? i think heat of combustion is alot easier because its basically just a formula..... with "equilibria" you have to learn what happens in diff situations, i hate remembering :p
potential difference - should i know what this is? i cant even remember hearing of this, is it in module 1 or module 2 (up to 'acid rain' section)?
Module 1, focus 4: calculating emf of a redox cell.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)