what percentage of MQ is international students? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSC
mq as in macquarie

ive been there a few times n it looks like around half

macquarie got a few hundred mil $ in revenue from international students last yr

blackrider89

HSC
Around 32%, according to The Good University guide (not means the number of non-Aussie origin ones-if u mean it, around 50% from the same source if my memory serves me well).

I'm an overseas one, too :D.

X

xeuyrawp

A third of students are International Students. This doesn't mean they're Asian or whatever, it means that they're officially enrolled as Internationals.

blackrider89 said:
(not means the number of non-Aussie origin ones-if u mean it, around 50% from the same source if my memory serves me well
Nfi where you'd get that statistic. I'm not 'of Aussie origin' (whatever that means), yet I don't remember ever filling out where I was born.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
an estimate? (i'm not racist! just curious)
Why are you being so racist?

Stop trying to single-out international students as a percentage. It's a form of segregation and that's discriminatory, babe!!!
I bet you're the kind of broad that wants an 'international students cafeteria' and a 'domestic students cafeteria', aren't you?

Dames like you make me ashamed to be a Macquarie student!!!

*Shakes fist!*

macca1819

HSC
If you're born here, you're Australian. If you want to come from another country, and live here, then you should want to be Australian. Otherwise you're no good to my country, or the country from which you came.

Why come here if you don't want to be Australian? Go back to your own country if you love it so much.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Why come here if you don't want to be Australian?
- Job opportunities.
- Free democratic society.
- High standard of living.

There is absolutely no reason a person should want to 'be Australian' to justify migrating here. They might simply want any of the things I mentioned above, among others. Australia might just be the best of many countries a migrant might consider calling home.

macca1819

HSC
- Job opportunities.
- Free democratic society.
- High standard of living.

There is absolutely no reason a person should want to 'be Australian' to justify migrating here. They might simply want any of the things I mentioned above, among others. Australia might just be the best of many countries a migrant might consider calling home.
Yeah, so by coming here because Australia has better job opportunties, free democratic society abd high standard of living, whatever else..., they are admitting it's better than their country. They have turned thier back on their country, so why still call themselves that? Why not say you're Australian?

I mean, why would your loyalty be to China (for example) when you left it?

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
I mean, why would your loyalty be to China (for example) when you left it?
There could be multiple reasons:

- You grew up there.
- Your family members reside there.
- Your religion is centered there.
- Your historical heritage is there.

You might only be in Australia because you want better opportunities, but you might still feel completely loyal to your country of birth and even hate Australia.

If living conditions deteriorated in Australia, and you were forced to move to China for a better life, perhaps leaving your family behind, would you totally abandon any loyalty to Australia and embrace your Chinese citizenship completely?

Lot's of people wouldn't.

I understand what you're trying to say, it's in everyone's interest if migrants actually desire to be living in Australia, and the vast majority do want to be here and appreciate everything Australia has to offer.

What you need to realise though, is that for a small minority of migrants, it's not exactly a choice they wanted to make, rather one they were forced to make for economic, political, social or religious reasons, et cetera. And except for those reasons, they'd much rather be living in their country of origin, and thus they retain their loyalty to that country.

X

xeuyrawp

If you're born here, you're Australian. If you want to come from another country, and live here, then you should want to be Australian. Otherwise you're no good to my country, or the country from which you came.

Why come here if you don't want to be Australian? Go back to your own country if you love it so much.
You're a real moron, imo.

a) If you're the example of 'Australians', this country is fucked. You post threads asking about the most obvious shit anyone could understand, let alone anybody with one ounce of greymatter in their noggin.
b) I wasn't born here. Does that make me un-Australian?
c) Sometimes people want to live in other countries for reasons other than to 'be' of another nationality. That's ridiculous.
d) Do you realise this goddamned country was founded by people coming here and asserting control of a different culture (originally by the Aborigines and secondly by the Europeans)?
e) I would prefer any 'non-Australian' to you any day. Australians sit around drinking VB and bludging off the dole, while 'non-Australians' work hard to support themselves and usually their family in other countries.

Hence, you're a moron. You are have no more right to call yourself 'Australian' than every other unintelligent racist bogan that inhabits the shady corners of society.

Last edited by a moderator:

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
I agree with your argument, PwarYuex.

I find those "Australia: Love it or leave it!" stickers hilarious. The completely misguided sense of patriotism is astounding.

Certain people I know are quick to attack anything they perceive as 'un-Australian', but those same people couldn't tell you the last time they woke up early to attend an Anzac dawn ceremony, or the last time they bothered to learn anything about Australian culture/history, et cetera.

macca: One of the qualities of Australia is that it allows people to hold their own beliefs and opinions, i.e; even an opinion of 'I hate Australia!'. If we were to force people to leave Australia simply because they didn't like it for whatever reason, then at the same time we lose one of the very qualities that sets this country apart from so many other less fortunate nations;— the quality of freedom.

Australians should be allowed to feel/think whatever they want about Australia, however; that doesn't imply that people who dislike/hate Australia should be allowed to harm Australians because of their beliefs (i.e; home-grown terrorism);— that's a separate, criminal matter, and wholly reprehensible.

Anyway, just think about things a little bit more next time.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
National identity, and especially one such as frail as the Australian one, is an inherently complex, contradictary and essentially confused one. What it means to be 'Australian' is a vague and rather empty thing to say, because the values associated with it are in such turmoil and conflict with each other that there cannot BE a true Australian. It is both racist and multicultural, priding itself upon 'a fair go' and at the same time being so narrow minded and conservative as to follow a moral panic at every opportunity, etc etc.

The entire country was founded upon a set of racist beliefs, which existed well into the 1970s, and whose touch can still be found in society. The arguments used to declare this 'Australian' heritage and root, exists for little more than 200 years, the span of maybe 3-5 generations? There have been migrants in Australia who've probably lived just as long, seeing as the gold rush brought with it a load of people during the 1800s. So all in all, fuck up macca.

dsam

HSC
pwnt.

p.s used to have a friend from ireland calling this other mate who was asian to go back to his country.

fyi, there are many asians here who have been in the country for decades (ancestry since goldmining started). Much longer than other 'white' folks who jsut migrated here 40 or 50 years ago.

peter2222

Banned
HSC

a) If you're the example of 'Australians', this country is fucked. You post threads asking about the most obvious shit anyone could understand, let alone anybody with one ounce of greymatter in their noggin.
c) Sometimes people want to live in other countries for reasons other than to 'be' of another nationality. That's ridiculous.
d) Do you realise this goddamned country was founded by people coming here and asserting control of a different culture (originally by the Aborigines and secondly by the Europeans)?
e) I would prefer any 'non-Australian' to you any day. Australians sit around drinking VB and bludging off the dole, while 'non-Australians' work hard to support themselves and usually their family in other countries.

Hence, you're a moron. You are have no more right to call yourself 'Australian' than every other unintelligent racist bogan that inhabits the shady corners of society.
Lol relax dude. I completely understand what you are saying and all. I personally am not "Australian" but I still classify myself as Australia. Reason being is that I have lived here almost my whole life. But in all honesty, I really hate international students. I don't "hate" them personally in the sense that they're all rude, annoying and stupid but hate them for the fact that they take local students place and that there are sooo fucking many of them. I really would like to sit with the vice chancellor of the uni and ask him "how the fuck can 34% of a university be full of international students!". That is just unreal and sensational that more than a third of a local "Australian" university can consist of such an astonishing amount.

But in all honesty, as long as these fuckers that come to Australia respect Australia for the great country it is and not just simply use Australia for "getting a degree and fucking off back to their shit hole and not giving a shit about our country while they are here" is fine with me. I mean in my fucking Finance and Accounting classes, fuckers can't even read, talk or comprehend English. For example, my tute teacher for ACCG253 asked a Chinese, international student the easiest question "What are the benefits of diversifying your portfolio" and the fucker literally didn't understand a word my tutor was saying. That is just fucking unreal. The English speaking requirement is just to soft in my opinion and UAC or the unis or whoever that controls it must make it the English profficiency much higher.

macca1819

HSC

1. 'Un-Australian' is not someone who is not born here. It is someone who CHOOSES to come here, yet does not consider themselves Australian.

2. If you're going to come here and reap the benefits, then you should be loyal to the country. I mean if you come here for a couple of years then fine, but if you're going to live here permanently then you should consider yourself Australian. What good are you to us if you're not, and what good are you to the other country if you abandoned it?

3. Yes, I actually do know that Aborigines were here before Europeans. I never said anything wrong about culture, I said it was bad if someone has chosen to come here and live, yet does not consider themselves Australian. My grandparents were born in other countries, and they say they are Australian.

4. Wow, are you ignorant and generalising?! All the true blue Aussies I know work hard for their money and to support themeslves. I've seen wogs come here and go on the dole, on the contrary.

5. How am I racist, unintelligent and how am I a bogan? For not agreeing with your opinion? I am 100% Australian, and I love it. If not, I'd go to some other country.

6. Oh, and by the way, swearing and blaspheming shows me you lack substance, and have to try to insult me to get across your point. I don't need to swear, blaspheme or insult you to get across my point.

macca1819

HSC
National identity, and especially one such as frail as the Australian one, is an inherently complex, contradictary and essentially confused one. What it means to be 'Australian' is a vague and rather empty thing to say, because the values associated with it are in such turmoil and conflict with each other that there cannot BE a true Australian. It is both racist and multicultural, priding itself upon 'a fair go' and at the same time being so narrow minded and conservative as to follow a moral panic at every opportunity, etc etc.

The entire country was founded upon a set of racist beliefs, which existed well into the 1970s, and whose touch can still be found in society. The arguments used to declare this 'Australian' heritage and root, exists for little more than 200 years, the span of maybe 3-5 generations? There have been migrants in Australia who've probably lived just as long, seeing as the gold rush brought with it a load of people during the 1800s. So all in all, fuck up macca.
I've got to go now, but when I come back I'll answer you and Luke.

peter2222

Banned
HSC
1. 'Un-Australian' is not someone who is not born here. It is someone who CHOOSES to come here, yet does not consider themselves Australian.

2. If you're going to come here and reap the benefits, then you should be loyal to the country. I mean if you come here for a couple of years then fine, but if you're going to live here permanently then you should consider yourself Australian. What good are you to us if you're not, and what good are you to the other country if you abandoned it?

3. Yes, I actually do know that Aborigines were here before Europeans. I never said anything wrong about culture, I said it was bad if someone has chosen to come here and live, yet does not consider themselves Australian. My grandparents were born in other countries, and they say they are Australian.

4. Wow, are you ignorant and generalising?! All the true blue Aussies I know work hard for their money and to support themeslves. I've seen wogs come here and go on the dole, on the contrary.

5. How am I racist, unintelligent and how am I a bogan? For not agreeing with your opinion? I am 100% Australian, and I love it. If not, I'd go to some other country.

6. Oh, and by the way, swearing and blaspheming shows me you lack substance, and have to try to insult me to get across your point. I don't need to swear, blaspheme or insult you to get across my point.
I just gave you positive rep. I do mostly agree with your points. I really do hate international students who come here and take up all the space. They fill up all the library seats and bring in their diseases.
They really piss me off.

Alvik

HSC
But in all honesty, I really hate international students. I don't "hate" them personally in the sense that they're all rude, annoying and stupid but hate them for the fact that they take local students place and that there are sooo fucking many of them. I really would like to sit with the vice chancellor of the uni and ask him "how the fuck can 34% of a university be full of international students!". That is just unreal and sensational that more than a third of a local "Australian" university can consist of such an astonishing amount.

Oh god. I just imagined uni without international students. Bogans everywhere. An all white, anglo-saxon university, I would die. I've played against Shore in some sports and by the end of the first half I would already be sick of Aryans. International students are great. A third is a good number too. Fills up the numbers, get some revenue and keep requirement level very high. Hell, if international students weren't here then demand would go down, so you would end up with people who got 43 UAI doing ACCG253 and their answer would probably be worse than that Chinese "fucker"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)