• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

what percentage of MQ is international students? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter2222

Banned
HSC
Oh god. I just imagined uni without international students. Bogans everywhere. An all white, anglo-saxon university, I would die. I've played against Shore in some sports and by the end of the first half I would already be sick of Aryans. International students are great. A third is a good number too. Fills up the numbers, get some revenue and keep requirement level very high. Hell, if international students weren't here then demand would go down, so you would end up with people who got 43 UAI doing ACCG253 and their answer would probably be worse than that Chinese "fucker"
LOL hahahahaha. funny cunt. Positive repped you! Your last line really made me crack up. Good job ;)

X

xeuyrawp

If you want to be all nationalistic, you should clearly move out of one of the youngest and most diverse countries on earth. Clearly to be pro-nationalism is un-Australian.

Edit:
Oh god. I just imagined uni without international students. Bogans everywhere. An all white, anglo-saxon university, I would die. I've played against Shore in some sports and by the end of the first half I would already be sick of Aryans. International students are great. A third is a good number too. Fills up the numbers, get some revenue and keep requirement level very high. Hell, if international students weren't here then demand would go down, so you would end up with people who got 43 UAI doing ACCG253 and their answer would probably be worse than that Chinese "fucker"
Absolutely correct.

The VC's point about tolerance is in part correct; namely that being around internationals is itself a learning experience. However, it would be nice if there was more infrastructure and support for them so they were easier to tolerate.

That being said, when you go to mainland Europe and you see the lack of Asian restaurants, the general lack of Asian language signs, heck indeed even the general lack of Asians, you really realise that Australia is really part of Asia. Just because a bunch of loud bogans are afraid of people who are seemingly different doesn't change that fact.

Last edited by a moderator:

macca1819

HSC
I agree with your argument, PwarYuex.

I find those "Australia: Love it or leave it!" stickers hilarious. The completely misguided sense of patriotism is astounding.

Certain people I know are quick to attack anything they perceive as 'un-Australian', but those same people couldn't tell you the last time they woke up early to attend an Anzac dawn ceremony, or the last time they bothered to learn anything about Australian culture/history, et cetera.

macca: One of the qualities of Australia is that it allows people to hold their own beliefs and opinions, i.e; even an opinion of 'I hate Australia!'. If we were to force people to leave Australia simply because they didn't like it for whatever reason, then at the same time we lose one of the very qualities that sets this country apart from so many other less fortunate nations;— the quality of freedom.

Australians should be allowed to feel/think whatever they want about Australia, however; that doesn't imply that people who dislike/hate Australia should be allowed to harm Australians because of their beliefs (i.e; home-grown terrorism);— that's a separate, criminal matter, and wholly reprehensible.

Anyway, just think about things a little bit more next time.
Why would anyone want to CHOOSE to come here, and not like Australia? That makes no sense. Why would they leave their country and come here if they preferred that country? That makes no sense.

And I for one am very patriotic. I love learning about Australian history. I think you're the one who needs to think about things a little bit more next time.

macca1819

HSC
National identity, and especially one such as frail as the Australian one, is an inherently complex, contradictary and essentially confused one. What it means to be 'Australian' is a vague and rather empty thing to say, because the values associated with it are in such turmoil and conflict with each other that there cannot BE a true Australian. It is both racist and multicultural, priding itself upon 'a fair go' and at the same time being so narrow minded and conservative as to follow a moral panic at every opportunity, etc etc.

The entire country was founded upon a set of racist beliefs, which existed well into the 1970s, and whose touch can still be found in society. The arguments used to declare this 'Australian' heritage and root, exists for little more than 200 years, the span of maybe 3-5 generations? There have been migrants in Australia who've probably lived just as long, seeing as the gold rush brought with it a load of people during the 1800s. So all in all, fuck up macca.
You don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying that everyone who lives here, regardless of race and culture, should be proud to be part of this country. Otherwise, go back to your own country.

macca1819

HSC
I just gave you positive rep. I do mostly agree with your points. I really do hate international students who come here and take up all the space. They fill up all the library seats and bring in their diseases.
They really piss me off.
I know what you mean, and I agree with you. It makes me sick.

X

xeuyrawp

You don't understand what I'm saying. I'm saying that everyone who lives here, regardless of race and culture, should be proud to be part of this country. Otherwise, go back to your own country.
Everyone here understands what you're saying.

We're saying that you're wrong.

There is absolutely no reason to be 'proud to be a part of a country'. Absolutely none. Yes, I am happy that I live in this country; the standard of living is good, etc, but I see no reason to be proud of it anymore than I see reason to be proud of my silver car, or my cat, or my eye colour, or my choice in toothpaste, or any other element which I may or may not choose. The fact is, people who are proud of a country are inherently dangerous because the implication is that their country is better than other countries. Because a country is effectively only a people, it further extends the implication that their people are better than other people.

And that is undoubtedly racism.

I know what you mean, and I agree with you. It makes me sick.
Do you realise Australia was founded by people coming here, 'taking up space', and 'bringing in their diseases'? Nfi how you do an ABST unit. :S

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I have no interests in furthering this discussion, its all already been said.

Last edited:

Holly_H

HSC
That being said, when you go to mainland Europe and you see the lack of Asian restaurants, the general lack of Asian language signs, heck indeed even the general lack of Asians, you really realise that Australia is really part of Asia. Just because a bunch of loud bogans are afraid of people who are seemingly different doesn't change that fact.
Seriously, how many times do you people need to be reminded that Australia is a CONTINENT entirely separate (thank god) to the CONTINENT of Asia.
Only Asians wish/think Australia is apart of their land.

This whole international student statistics thread raises a commonly debated point. How is it that so many of our Universities are filled with such high percentages of international students? Surely there are no other countries, China for example, where white or non Asian students fill statistical quotas equivalent to a third?
I think the answer is simple, money and the large profits the government and private institutions acquire from international student fee's. And the cost of this capitalistic greed? ... less tertiary places being offered to Australians who;

a) Where born and bred here
b) Migrated and love this country.

Which results in wasted education on people who are taking advantage of our country, people who dont even like our country, and people who will inevitably take some of the jobs away from real and deserving Australians.

When i start to feel like a minority in my own country there is a problem.

PS; For those boat freeloaders who think its fine to come here use our resources and still then slander the nation, i say take your attitude and your arse to the grand old USA, i imagine the Yanks and their 5th amendment would give you a much deserved response.

peter2222

Banned
HSC
Seriously, how many times do you people need to be reminded that Australia is a CONTINENT entirely separate (thank god) to the CONTINENT of Asia.

This whole international student statistics thread raises a commonly debated point. How is it that so many of our Universities are filled with such high percentages of international students? Surely there are no other countries, China for example, where white or non Asian students fill statistical quotas equivalent to a third?
I think the answer is simple, money and the large profits the government and private institutions acquire from international student fee's. And the cost of this capitalistic greed? ... less tertiary places being offered to Australians who;

Which results in wasted education on people who are taking advantage of our country, people who dont even like our country, and people who will inevitably take some of the jobs away from real and deserving Australians.

PS; For those boat freeloaders who think its fine to come here use our resources and still then slander the nation, i say take your attitude and your arse to the grand old USA, i imagine the Yanks and their 5th amendment would give you a much deserved response.
You read my mind. Positive rep for you too. Its unbelievable. These asians should all go and study in Israel instead. I always bag the shit out of them in my classes.

Tabris

HSC

Have you ever thought of the ramifications of non-international student funding??

Its simple economics - international students are prime grade customers compared to B grade domestic HECS students.

As a business you want up-front paying customers not students who are subsidised by the governments.

It is us who are free-loading from the welfare/education framework.

Self interest runs the world, you blame capitalism? and greed? Look at what your wearing and what you consume.....

Most of these students, like us, want to get the skills neccesary to succeed in life and for many, it is a hard bargain living in a foreign country without social and economic support.

Show some empathy and some reciprocity, trying to bag those who have done nothing to you and trying to succeed in life is pathetic and weak....

I have no problem with those who reciprocate

It seems that nationalism and xenophobia is completely ignorant of the globalised world we live in - education is a commodity supplied by education institutions. You regulate on the basis of nationalism - market shifts, they go else where and it will be you who will miss out.

Last edited:

izzy88

HSC
30% of Oxford's student body are international students. Harvard, 20%. I don't think they view it as taking away from their education...it offers diversity and further learning experiences. University is about learning and getting new ideas- by cutting off out the rest of the world (or by not talking to the international students in your class) do you not think that's just a bit insular?

And realistically, there is no way that international students in any way leech off Australia or our education system- they pay ridiculous amounts, get no sort of help in accommodation or student concessions and the money they do pay goes back into the university sector...of which we are all benefiting from.

International students do not take the places of 'Australians' in universities because they are in effect paying for the entirety of their place...the real people to be getting angry at is the government for not fronting up more money to have more commonwealth-supported places.

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
Seriously, how many times do you people need to be reminded that Australia is a CONTINENT entirely separate (thank god) to the CONTINENT of Asia. Only Asians wish/think Australia is apart of their land.
Australia is a country.
Our continent is Oceania.

Australia is part of Asia;— it's called Australasia:
Australasia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Japan is our largest trade partner.

Australia *IS* part of Asia, geographically and economically.

And the cost of this capitalistic greed? ... less tertiary places being offered to Australians who;

Australia is in the midst of a skills shortage and you're urging more people to go to university to fill our bloated legal and financial sectors, et cetera? We need more tradesmen, not more lawyers.

As for international students studying at our universities, the "cost of this capitalistic greed" is more jobs in the Australian tertiary education sector and more direct/indirect tax revenue for the Australian government.

Your entire assumption that more international students automatically means less local students is an invalid one. I'd like to see your references/statistics to prove that statement.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Are you fucking retarded? AUSTRALIA was the one who wanted to become part of Asia. AUSTRALIA was the one who took in immigrants willingly because their economy was dying. AUSTRALIA was the one who has for the past 30-40 years been trying to sweet talk its way into ASIA.

You have no basis to ANY of your points, you have NO idea of the history, the socio-political climate of the world and you're proclaiming this shit? Get the fuck out of this thread.

X

xeuyrawp

But it's not?

olol.

PS; For those boat freeloaders who think its fine to come here use our resources and still then slander the nation,
I've never heard an International Student unjustly criticise Australia. Not once. Most of the time, these students work much harder than the average Aussie. Yes, they have very very annoying habits - anybody who knows me will tell you that I frequently get the shits with them. However, it just proves that even someone like me needs to be more tolerant of other cultures.

As for saying 'boat freeloaders', that's pretty indicative of how uneducated you are. Most international students (and indeed foreigners) arrive by plane. Most of these students (again and indeed foreigners in general) pay large fees to get here. Afaik, aside from scholarships, which are some of the smallest in the western world, there is no support for international students in Australia. Unlike most white bogan fuckwits, they have worked and saved to come here - much of the time with significant family support as a sort of investment in their future.

To quote someone,
Schroedinger said:
I'd much rather having to interact with these people who have risked their lives for a chance at a better life than the average bogan filth in this thread.

You have no more claim to Australia because you were born here than anyone else on the planet.

jiey2k

JEAHHH BOIIIII
HSC
This message was sent by Professor Steven Schwartz and authorised by Vice-Chancellor . Professor Steven Schwartz.

No tolerance for racism - Comment on the Melbourne Student Protest

Macquarie University is home to students from one hundred countries from all around the world. Playing host to students from many different countries provides our students and staff the opportunity to learn about other cultures and languages. Our multi-cultural campus gives all of us the chance to learn about fairness, teamwork, communication skills and tolerance. These are valuable lessons, but they can only be learned in an environment in which everyone feels accepted and safe. Discrimination or violence against international students not only affects them it affects all of us and threatens our commitment to diversity. In light of the protests by international students in Melbourne on 31 May, I want to reiterate in a strong a voice as possible that Macquarie University will not tolerate racial or any other form of discrimination. We will not tolerate violence. And most important, we will not permit our learning community to be polluted by the ignorant virus of hate and prejudice.

dw guyz, the vice chancellor has said it all!

lolololololololol

russs

yeeeee
HSC
I didn't realize how many international students until i did ACST101. The course was like 90% Asian.

Then again, international students do pay a LOT of money to be here. I also heard from someone they have to abide by tighter rules than regular students and can get ejected easily.

Lot's of people think I am an international student because I have an accent.

Cheers,

Holly_H

HSC
I have no problem with international students paying bucket loads and coming here (especially when they go home after graduation), i have no problem with Asian immigration EXCEPT when it comes to the point that I'm out numbered in my own country!
Why cant we balance out the immigration intake so there is equality among the races, not disproportionate amounts. Universities, like immigration should have quotas on how many international students there are.
I find it infuriating when i hear comments such as "Melbourne University commerce students are 80% Asian" i mean, come on!
Then i read threads like the "Anglo names get more job interviews" and i sigh with some relief.

Good Lord Luke! One last time for the layman ... Australia is a CONTINENT, Oceania is the "geological region" recognizing Australia, Papua New Guinea and other surrounding colonized islands.

Asylum? really?... how appropriate.
Hell would freeze over before white Australians would ever call it Australasia (Yuck!)
Why on earth do you think i would be insulted by your verbal diarrhea? Its so passé' to use swear words and other non-relative derogatory terms when your intellectually bankrupt.

I'm of Anglo-Celtic decent with Aryan features. Needless to say I'm extremely happy with the cards I've been dealt, so bring on the simpleton insults ... its water of a ducks back.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Asylum? really?... how appropriate.
Hell would freeze over before white Australians would ever call it Australasia (Yuck!)
Why on earth do you think i would be insulted by your verbal diarrhea? Its so passé' to use swear words and other non-relative derogatory terms when your intellectually bankrupt.
I'm more of a bogan than you are, so fuck up little one. Colonialism and white supremacy was a fashion statement from the 50's, not for a globalised world like today. Your views have very little merit, include very little real evidence, and continually push that education for whites should be a given, when educating people like yourself seems more of a waste of tax payers money. 'Australians' like you should be sent to the glue factories in a bid to ease the strain on the education system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)