what subject to drop??? pls help! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi! I'm currently in year 11 and will be in year 12 next term.
I study 3u maths, 3u english, 2u bio, 2u chem, 2u beginners italian and that is all currently 12 units

My dilemma is that I don't know what to drop. I want to do something science-y in the future so I expected to drop ext eng, but it is actually my best subject right now (96%). Maths is really lettting me down and I got my lowest mark ever in ext (68%) but I feel like dropping it is really unwise and super uncommon. Beginners Italian will also be not really helpful (i think) for getting into my desired uni course, but I do well in it and I think it'll boost my grades. However, all this means keeping all 12 units going into year 12. I'm doing pretty ok right now, I have the most free periods out of my year group bc I have a few morning, lunch and afternoon classes. I also don't do outside of school co curriculars except a small side job. But like, I'm worried that it will get too much next year.

1. what do u think I should drop!!!??
2. is it ok to do 12u or will that actually harm my marks?
3. is it too risky to do 10?? or is it better so i can focus on those units? but what if one of them fail me (more like i fail it lol) or I have like an accident and do horribly

any advice will be greatly appreciated :)

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
Since you are happy with all your subjects, I recommend keeping all 12 units until at least the end of the year (including term 4).

See how you go in your term 4 assessments for year 12, and make a judgment then. 12 units is not too much, especially at the beginning of year 12.

A lot can happen with your marks when going from year 11 into year 12, so 10 units at the beginning of year 12 is a little risky, in case you start to hate one subject or are not doing well in something.

Halfway through year 12, you should have a clear idea of what you want to do. You may want to keep all 12 units for trials (and then likely the HSC), or you may want to drop your worst subject at that point.

Hope this helps!

HSC
Since you are happy with all your subjects, I recommend keeping all 12 units until at least the end of the year (including term 4).

See how you go in your term 4 assessments for year 12, and make a judgment then. 12 units is not too much, especially at the beginning of year 12.

A lot can happen with your marks when going from year 11 into year 12, so 10 units at the beginning of year 12 is a little risky, in case you start to hate one subject or are not doing well in something.

Halfway through year 12, you should have a clear idea of what you want to do. You may want to keep all 12 units for trials (and then likely the HSC), or you may want to drop your worst subject at that point.

Hope this helps!
Thank you for the advice!

carrotsss

HSC
I agree with scaryshark, something to keep in mind is that the workload in year 12 is (imo) less than the year 11 workload because stuff is a lot more spread out. The difference in marks from doing 12 units would be pretty minimal in the grand scheme of things, if you enjoy all of your subjects then there’s nothing wrong with keeping them.

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Just wanna quickly add...
1. i think keeping all for now is fine, but in yr 12 if you want to drop a subject then drop whatever your doing the worst in.
2. i did 12 units too in yr11 lmao - some people still do 12 in yr12 and do extremely well, while others not so much, just depends on whether you are willing to divide your time to an extra subject. This also means you have 2 extra units that will not be considered for your atar, so if you end up absolutely flunking a subject it wouldnt be the end of the world.
3. some people do 10 since they are confident/doing well in all. you get more time on each subject, but if you do badly in one it does negatively affect your atar. So if you currently have pretty inconsistent results, i suggest you keeping 12 to at least t1 of yr12 like scaryshark said :)

Remember eng ext is only 1 unit, and there isnt really much preperation for the hsc otherwise than 1 prepared essay since you have to write an essay/creative/reflection on the spot. And since you're doing pretty well I'm guessing your good at english which is extremely advantageous in yr12.

Also mx1 scales really well, even your 68% raw mark (which doesn't correlate but for the sake of argument lol) can scale to a band 6 if you get that in the hsc, which is miles better than an equivalent band 6 in like english extension and bio.

So I feel like if you HAD to drop a subject, maybe do one of the others since 96% in english ext is really good and even though u think you did poorly in maths it still might give you better atar equivalent than other subjects. (Math is also the easiest to improve as opposed to like english, so your in a good position)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)