what to do with an arts degree? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tjhunt11

HSC
Just wondering what can you do with an arts degree? do you normally transfer into the field you want to do? what can you do with an arts degree after uni??

HSC
Uni Grad
Just wondering what can you do with an arts degree? do you normally transfer into the field you want to do? what can you do with an arts degree after uni??
well i don't think there's much you could do with an arts degree except work for government or if you combine it with another degree... (this is pretty much the general consensus)

however if you did particularly harder or more demanding arts majors like international relations or political science combined with a language then you could possibly get a job working in a transnational company or something :p

but imo it's to combine it with another degree like commerce, science, education, law or whatever you want to do

ptrgrgry

HSC
I was thinking of doing arts to maybe become a writer, novelist, journalist, editor, etc. (Possibly Sydney B Arts (Media and Communication)). But that was before I got into law!
More seriously though, I have an arts/commerce relative who majored in Asian Studies (or something...) and really used her
arts degree for language, social and cultural skills to obtain lucrative IB work around the Asia-Pacific region.
Another relative did Sydney Arts (languages) before doing medicine so her work wasn't so relegated to the Anglophone world. Another majored in Government and International Relations before doing law to obtain advisory work in Canberra. Plus, the best English teacher I've ever had did Sydney Arts.

So... there's my two cents.

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
Why would anyone do arts? Good luck getting a jOb that pays well!

muzeikchun852

HSC
doing arts as a single degree could be difficult to find a job in the future but having it as double degree isnt a bad choice..

red-butterfly

HSC
You'll have to go post grad study before you can get any job that will pay well...

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I have a few friends doing plain Arts... should I, tell them this? Or is it just conjecture and I'd be scaring them?

Lauren264

HSC
Not everything is about money. Ever considered the fact that Arts students simply have a passion different to yours?
Art students can get good jobs if they work hard. Like in any degree, hard work will be rewarded. Maybe not with a sublime salary...but I for one know I would rather have a mediocre paying job doing something I enjoy than a high flying job that I hate. You're going to be working for the majority of your life, do something you are passionate about, not something that simply pays the bills.

And back to the original topic! :]
If you do simply want to be a writer, you'll have to do more work than just a BA - building up a "portfolio" so to say, and industry connections.
And like ptrgry and 4025808 said, if you choose classes smartly, you could score a job in a wide range of NGO's, government agencies and even international organizations such as Amnesty or Oxfam.
If worst comes to worst, do a MA of Teaching for a year after you finish and become a teacher! (This is my backup)

Don't let people bully you into thinking an Arts degree is the path to failure :] If you're passionate, willing to work hard, and network, you'll find a job.

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
Not everything is about money. Ever considered the fact that Arts students simply have a passion different to yours?
Art students can get good jobs if they work hard. Like in any degree, hard work will be rewarded. Maybe not with a sublime salary...but I for one know I would rather have a mediocre paying job doing something I enjoy than a high flying job that I hate. You're going to be working for the majority of your life, do something you are passionate about, not something that simply pays the bills.

And back to the original topic! :]
If you do simply want to be a writer, you'll have to do more work than just a BA - building up a "portfolio" so to say, and industry connections.
And like ptrgry and 4025808 said, if you choose classes smartly, you could score a job in a wide range of NGO's, government agencies and even international organizations such as Amnesty or Oxfam.
If worst comes to worst, do a MA of Teaching for a year after you finish and become a teacher! (This is my backup)

Don't let people bully you into thinking an Arts degree is the path to failure :] If you're passionate, willing to work hard, and network, you'll find a job.
If you go to university to NOT earn shiteloads of money afterwards there is something wrong with you

Freestyler94

HSC
If you go to university to NOT earn shiteloads of money afterwards there is something wrong with you
Oh so, following your passion and doing a course you want to, would mean there is something wrong with you?
Looks like someone is doing med for the money, you probably fluked the interview with your alter ego.

suling

HSC
Some people view success in terms other than earning a heap of money....there is nothing wrong with following your passion.

I would rather do an arts degree and hence something I love, than do medicine/law etc. just because of the money/prestige.

NewiJapper

HSC
You could learn a langauge and get into translating or teaching english in foreign countries.

izzy88

HSC
Many of my friends that did arts are now doing masters programs eg. journalism, management, curatorship etc. Some are doing graduate diplomas in languages before they start a PhD. Some are starting post grad law. Some are going to work for the government. Others are working/travelling for a year before they figure out what they want to do.

It is not a useless degree- you can go to university for interest/passion not just for funneling you into a profession...

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
Oh so, following your passion and doing a course you want to, would mean there is something wrong with you?
Looks like someone is doing med for the money, you probably fluked the interview with your alter ego.
I didnt fluke my interview and I ended up getting in. OF COURSE IM DOING IT FOR THE MONEY! Wasting 5 years of my life for something other than money is retarded

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
Some people view success in terms other than earning a heap of money....there is nothing wrong with following your passion.

I would rather do an arts degree and hence something I love, than do medicine/law etc. just because of the money/prestige.
Wow thats very wierd, why would you do something you love if it doesnt pay well? I may love cleaning toilets all day but that wont earn me much will it?

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

This is a great summation of the way I view success as well. Although I must agree, unless someone excels in their Arts degree and plans to take mammoth -sized steps toward further education then they're not going to be employed based on their degree really.

Aquablack

Banned
HSC
This is a great summation of the way I view success as well. Although I must agree, unless someone excels in their Arts degree and plans to take mammoth -sized steps toward further education then they're not going to be employed based on their degree really.
Exactly thats what Im saying, where on earth are you going to get employed with an arts degree for good money? lol

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Exactly thats what Im saying, where on earth are you going to get employed with an arts degree for good money? lol
I agreed with you, you won't get employed unless you pursue an academic career or something as a critic or along those kind of lines.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
graphics designer, artwork designer for films, advertisements, video games. easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)