What would you like to see on BOS? (1 Viewer)

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
Re: What would you like to see on BOS 2007?

hahaha thats a good one deano

plodge

HSC
N/A

a counselling corner? have it private helping people with there problems some people dnt like to be open in big discussion

lengy

HSC

a reason to renew premium

Born2baplacebo

Get Behind Me Satan
HSC

Ah, a writers corner so writers can post their own poetry and stuff.

Dukessa

HSC

sladehk said:
if plaigarism is an issue. perhaps a wiki approach to uni subjects can be introduced. i dunno if its too much of an undertaking but a WikiUni thing would be revolutional (if that's a word =P ) where students can add/change stuff, mods/admins can lock stuff and there are bots running to stop stupid ppl messing about with it
Hi,
I just wanted to say that WikiUni exists already (and exactly for the reasons u mentioned)

And Im willing to give each country a subdomain for FREE obviously (like en.wikiuni, nl.wikiuni, fr.wikiuni etc)

Atm theres the it.wikiuni (italian) and we are still workin on its growth, but its active and ready.

If you guys are interested just contact me with a PM and I can set up the english WikiUni straight away.

Btw the link is www.wikiuni.net

C ya :wave:

Niksta123

HSC

I would like to see only the best concise, straight to the point notes on the site. Some of the resources aren't the best and it would make it alot easier to have only the best ones on the site. Also double ups of information should be looked at - to reduce duplicates...

I would also like to see for each subject:

- for each core, topic or chapter specific info:

e.g. for english adv :

module A: Hamlet + R & G info including:
- setting
- context
- short plot outline
- purpose
- audience
- characters
- language
- audience
etc etc

that would make it a lot easier to find what you need so you can compare your own notes to the ones on this website.

The above would probably only work specifically for the english subjects, but there are other ways the website could set out the documents to allow easier finding...

Hopefully this makes sense! lol

What does everyone else think about this?

Niksta123

HSC

Without Wings said:
The resources pages are for anyone to submit their notes to share with other members for reference, their aim is not to provide the best possible set of notes, but to give students the opportunity to share their notes and compare with others. That being said i'm sure you understand that it would be hard for us to tell everyone that they have to format their notes in a specific style (it would also take away students chance to format notes in the way that suits them best). Bored of Studies does not guarantee that any of these resources are correct, in full etc :) If you want a set of the best, straight to point, concise, well structured notes without having to sort through all those resources then I recommend you consider Premium resources - this is their aim.

I also recommend you check out the Biki. It has a range of notes for a lot of subjects set out by the syllabus.
Without wings - you make some good points here...

Thanks for letting me know out Premium resources - i don't know much about them!

itsme1

HSC

Are there any premium notes for VCE?

gdt

HSC
N/A

jhakka said:
PLAGIARISM ISSUES. Is anyone else aware of the fact that the unis have software to check for plagiarism? Do you realise that using non-acknowledged sources is plagiarism and carries heavy penalties? To have a uni notes section would give BOS a reputation of encouraging plagiarism - a reputation that we already do have in some areas. We have been referred in the past (by schools and in the media) as a cheat site or a "bogus Board of Studies" website. We don't want to encourage this reputation by entering an area where plagiarism is a massive, massive issue.
There are two issues with university notes and plagiarism and they are worthwhile distinguishing.

Firstly, a uni student goes to a lecture, takes word-for-word notes and posts them to BOS. That is both plagiarism (it is not the student's own work) and a breach of the Copyright Act (the "word-for-word" aspect of the notes).

Secondly, a student uses content from BOS in submitted work, without acknowledging the source. That's plagiarism.

I wouldn't let fear of the second class of plagiarism stop you extending into aiding people at university. All instructional materials run this risk. In that way the media attacks on BOS are most unfair -- textbooks don't get criticised for encouraging plagiarism, despite being the source of most of it.

Where I would be cautious is with the deeper depth of knowledge required for university. One of the reasons BOS is successful is that there are many people that can help -- from professionals in a field like me, to students that did the subject in previous years, to fellow struggling students. But there isn't the same number of people attached to BOS that know about "CPU scheduling techniques for non-uniform memory access", or many of the other arcana university teaches students.

I also wonder if using BOS would be a good first tactic for uni students struggling with a particular topic. You are paying massively to be at uni. Take advantage of what you have purchased and attend the consulting session for your subject to get your understanding ironed out one-on-one with an expert. If there is no consulting session with staff then that would be interesting to hear about on BOS. "Ease of access to staff" is one of those things vital to the quality of your education which doesn't appear in any university course guide.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC

Don't know if this has been suggested yet (haven't bothered reading every post).
But, I would like to see a 'Debate' sub-forum. Simple one on one, or two on two debates, with a moderator (moderating) and selected people capable of voting. (Debates would be structured, and remain archived in the sub-forum.)

I think it would add alot to the forums, and also reduce unneccesary flames and posts being made.

Tohru Honda

HSC

i think that there should be more info on novels like "looking for alibrandi" and maybe a profile page where you can decorate it how you like.:)

undalay

HSC

A more organised resources sections? The amount of resources are constantly growing, and its getting more and more chaotic in there.

Kujah

HSC
N/A

^ I agree, and a faster server.

Maybe for the resource sections, add a separate column on the notes page to tell us how many downloads have been made on a specific set of resource.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)