Banned
HSC
Sequences and series...ARRGGGHHHH!!!!!!

But thanx anyway mojako and mervvyn :)

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
For those of you thinking of doing 4u because of 'interest', I can assure you that such interest will dissipate within the first 3 months for more than half of you ;) Of coz if you're one of those AMC medalists, then the interest may grow even stronger, but it certainly didn't happen for me (not that i was a AMC medalist...)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
ROFL lolz.. for 4U.. to end up with good marks.. still maintain sanity ..
u need to be dedicated or/and decently bright (AMC medalist >= 4u >= credit in AMC)
its alot of time and effort.. it is hard to tell if its worth the scaling..

if u lik maths.. ull love 4u.. especially if u hav a good teacher who can put things into perspective.. :) other go for the 1 term thing.. if that doesnt work.. do 3u.. its still good..
btw.. if u dun lik 4U maths.. reconsider doing Uni maths.. cos its very similar..

on a separate note: kimmeh.. 4u can be breezy.. just not for normal ppl lik us :p

Last edited:

tempco

HSC
withoutaface said:
I'm actually interested in the 4u content.
WOAH.

I hate it. But I'm still doing it... I have no idea why... :confused:

Oh yeh for the scaling :D

zergcave

HSC
a raw mark of 50% in 4u is quite enough - which will give u an overall mark of 95-100.

to succeed in such a demanding subject? get a tutor - a private 1-to-1 mentor who will guide u thru every aspect of the topics. preferably a friend.

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
zergcave said:
a raw mark of 50% in 4u is quite enough - which will give u an overall mark of 95-100.

to succeed in such a demanding subject? get a tutor - a private 1-to-1 mentor who will guide u thru every aspect of the topics. preferably a friend.

o....k :/
i've never heard of that before.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
i heard it was like.. as long as you get 60% you get an overall mark of around 100 somewhere and ur 2 unit mark is 100..

is this true? cos it sounds very.. un-true xD~

illin

Ill factor
HSC
Constip8edSkunk said:
.any decent 2/3 unit mark in yr11 would be enough AS LONG AS YOU ARE COMMITTED in yr 12 ...lotsa ppl bum around in yr 11 and despite what they say about maths u can pick it up pretty quickly if you have understood, albeit a bit unlearly, most of the yr11 and pre yr11 stuff. the only thing that matter is practicing alot.

half of my grade did 4U ... more than half of them hated maths and did it for the scaling and most were rewarded in the end. interest helps but by no means is it necessary for 4U maths

also none of the math math comps have any correlation to 4u results unless u r at the very top(ie. medalling in AMC and consistently getting prizes in UNSW)... heaps of ppl got better marks then me in 4U when i did better in AMC..

I hate ppl who just do subjects, even though they hate it, just for the scaling. It is stupid. "But i want to get a high UAI'. But still its stupid and its unhealthy doing 6 or more hours a day on something that u hate. Apparently heaps of ppl who want to do well no matter what do subjects like Latvian continuers and Classical Greek extension just for the scaling. I really hate those ppl! u have to like maths to do it, with a bit of insanity, but u have to like it in the first place. Im goin to do it next term because i like maths and am good at it. AAArrrgghh I really hate ppl who just do high scaling subjects just for the scaling! :vcross:

But anyway if ppl want to do extensions that they dont like, it is really stupid because u'll end up hating the subject and then do it for the sake of doin it.

mojako

HSC
boasboy said:
i heard it was like.. as long as you get 60% you get an overall mark of around 100 somewhere and ur 2 unit mark is 100..

I dont think it is true
You can use SAM to check...
But remember that for Extension 2, the HSC papers are harder than most trial papers.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
boasboy said:

No. You do not have any mark for 2 unit, you will get told that you would probably achieve a band 5/6 but not given a mark for it.

Your maths ext 2 score will be worth 2 units and your maths ext 1 score worth 2 units.

60%, would let you do fairly well but I wouldnt call it great.

m_uppet

well u see 4 unit maths is like a good women... it depends how much a you are willing to do!
if u wanna go well then u have to go extreme and like kiss her... but if u wann a go average, then sitting next to her in class is fine

A_J_Gray

4 unit maths is easy. I think people get scared when they here the word Extension, but realistically theres no diffrence between 4 unit Maths and Physics for me.

Hotsauce

Denied
HSC
m_uppet said:
well u see 4 unit maths is like a good women... it depends how much a you are willing to do!
if u wanna go well then u have to go extreme and like kiss her... but if u wann a go average, then sitting next to her in class is fine
Nice analogy lol :uhhuh:

Gundi

The Man
HSC
yeah bro i reckon 4 unit maths is too easy
im so over just doing 3 hours maths every night, i reckon it should b 6 hours a night its just not a challenge any more

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
i am glad to see your guys passion for 4unit. personally i do 20-30 min worth, an i feel it is just as rewarding

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
My marks for 2 and 3 unit year 11 have been:

2u: 98%, 88%, 96%, 91%
3u: 49%, 81%, 52%, 71%.

Some people here would say that there's no way I should do 4 unit maths. I think they're wrong. The 49% was for a circle geometry test in first term and the 52% was for an open-book investigation in which 52% was the highest mark. Excluding 2 unit, my 3 unit marks aren't terribly good, but I can increase them by actually studying, and since I already love mathematics, that's not going to be hard.

Really, I think you should make the assessment about whether you are capable of doing 4 unit maths by yourself. Teachers or students may give you misleading advice, or advice which doesn't apply to you.

Well, anyway, I'tll be interesting to see how I go. This time next year I'll hopefully be saying "I told you so" to those who said I would not be able to handle 4 unit maths. :)

One thing is certain for me - if I do screw up 4 unit, I'll do it again. I'm the youngest person in my grade anyway.

mojako

HSC
umm, in 4U you'll have to face another circle geo
only now its harder

Estel

Tutor
HSC
My thoughts on 4U are now that it is incredibly difficult =/
Illusions of grandeur have faded...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)