Whats better? (1 Viewer)

MasterSifu

HSC
hello.
just a curious question~
is it better to get top 5 ranks in all ur subjects at ur school which is say.. ranked 200s~
or is it better to go to a school that is ranked around 30s and you achieve average~

kawaiinlove

HSC
hello.
just a curious question~
is it better to get top 5 ranks in all ur subjects at ur school which is say.. ranked 200s~
or is it better to go to a school that is ranked around 30s and you achieve average~
Probably the first option...not too sure though

HSC
Hey,
this is an interesting question.
id probably guess the 30..

75/150 isnt that bad for a 30's school

the thing with the 200th school is that
we don't know how well the cohort is going
to perform..

top 30 schools tend to not move around in the
same trend as schools in 100+

but yeah..as tommy said..it doesnt reallmy matter..
it's just that i would rather have a strong cohort
in case i screw up

allira92

HSC
i would think it wouldnt really matter, although i think going to the top 30 schools would be better just so u had something to fall back on

LordPc

HSC
depends really on the person you are.

if you are motivated and study a lot then the lower ranked school will be enough.

but if you are not really that motivated and get easily sidetracked, then a top 30 school will probably give you a much better working atmosphere that will help you study more than if you were at the lower ranked school.

MasterSifu

HSC
for instance..the 200s ranked school's cohort has a rough average of 70% in their own school assessments and during the "moderation" of internal school assessments ur peers will pull u down even if you do get 99% for the internal school assessment mark, right?

so, wouldnt it be more beneficial to be in the 30s ranked school, so you'd have stronger peers which would help in the "moderation" for ur marks, for eg. if u do bad they can pull u up, and if u do good they wont pull u down as much?

HSC
for instance..the 200s ranked school's cohort has a rough average of 70% in their own school assessments and during the "moderation" of internal school assessments ur peers will pull u down even if you do get 99% for the internal school assessment mark, right?

so, wouldnt it be more beneficial to be in the 30s ranked school, so you'd have stronger peers which would help in the "moderation" for ur marks, for eg. if u do bad they can pull u up, and if u do good they wont pull u down as much?
Unless you completely own your entire year so that the scaling process isnt the same

Heard something about that in anohter thread

Concerti

HSC
I'd say top 30.

I go to SCEGGHS and the atmosphere is usually enough to motivate you

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
It's too hard to tell in my opinion.

What's the definition of "average"? Is it in terms of rank wise or mark wise?

And rank of school is not necessarily a good indicator of performance of people in terms of UAI wise.

It's just too hard to tell.

LynFay

HSC
It depends on how confident you are.
If you don't mind being average, or even below average, then go to the higher ranking school.
If you'd rather stay at the top of the bottom (so to speak) then go to the lower ranking school. Going to the lower one doesn't mean u'll be stupid. YOu might work harder because everyone expects you to be the best - opposed to how you might slack off if you go to a school where nothing but the bare minimum is expected of you.

Personally, i'd judge a school on more than just rankings. Check out the teachers...:)

MasterSifu

HSC
well, yea i think the 30s ranked school , have waaay better teachers ~

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I go to a very low ranking school and the teachers are awesome. They know everything I need to know and two of them have been official HSC markers... so they know their fair share about the HSC. There isn't a great deal difference in the teaching quality I believe, it's just the teaching atmosphere and student's 'wanting' to get better is why some schools have much better results than others (apart from the fact that many are selective and have some of the brightest students in the nation attending).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)