When are you going to start revising for the Half-Yearlies? (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Half-yearlies are going to start the first term we come back, when do you usually start revising? Since the first week? A few weeks before the half-yearly exams? Are your study hours going to increase to do your best?

matchalolz

HSC
HAHAH like now?

The earlier the better, as you commence school things will be dumped onto you and you'll find yourself struggling to find the time to do personal studying as opposed to completing assignments and set work.

Honestly, I haven't done as much work as I wanted to, but it's better than nothing. I'm going to maintain a similar regime (3-4 hours daily) until 1-2 weeks before exams.

I've been doing little tasks these holidays that will probably help me save some time later on so that I can focus more on studying later

xenophanes

HSC
I would recommend studying pretty hard for those half-yearly exams, rather than cramming for them. This way, you won't need to study this earlier stuff again too carefully before your trials. In the July break, you will have more work than you bargain for, especially if you're a umat candidate.

laviloki

HSC
Finishing all the topics that will be in the Half Yearlies for like maths physics chemistry eco and doin random past papers but not full hardcore study as if they were in 2 weeks time

Also part of the fail half-yearlies krew?
lmao

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I would reckon at least 4 to 5 weeks in advance.
2-3 is a bit short considering you don't just do one subject.
6 is a bit excessive (maybe if it was trials or the hsc)

Last edited:

iStudent

HSC
I started 2-3 weeks before (not "revising" but rather cramming). If you start too early you'll probably forget the content - and hence, waste time that could've been used to work ahead. Depends on each individual tbh.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I would reckon at least 4 to 5 weeks in advance.
2-3 is a bit short considering you don't just do one subject.
6 is a bit excessive (maybe if it was trials or the hsc)
Let's say I was to study 4-5 weeks in advance, would I spend a whole week revising maths and the next week chemistry?

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
I wouldn't approach that like that

Say you were doing the same subjects as me:
I would do 2 papers for maths (one ext 1, one ext 2)
do some chemistry study/paper; same for physics
and revise for English by using my prepared material in practice essays.

Each week that is

basically you set aside time, depending on the requirements needed for each subject. Do the assessment papers for maths, do practice essays for english and humanities, practice skills for languages/music, revise content for sciences and humanities

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I wouldn't approach that like that

Say you were doing the same subjects as me:
I would do 2 papers for maths (one ext 1, one ext 2)
do some chemistry study/paper; same for physics
and revise for English by using my prepared material in practice essays.

Each week that is

basically you set aside time, depending on the requirements needed for each subject. Do the assessment papers for maths, do practice essays for english and humanities, practice skills for languages/music, revise content for sciences and humanities
So you would do all that revision in one week?

EDIT: Nevermind.

Last edited:

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Didn't want to create a separate thread for this question so I'm posting it here.

Are there any advantages to creating your own notes compared to using other people's notes other than it's easier to memorise your own notes?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Didn't want to create a separate thread for this question so I'm posting it here.

Are there any advantages to creating your own notes compared to using other people's notes other than it's easier to memorise your own notes?
Yes, and major advantages that too. If you write your notes (note that I said write and not type), you're more likely to remember the notes. Like, a lot more likely. Plus, if you don't understand something, you'll realise when you write it down that you don't exactly know a certain dot point and then can read up on it. I made my own notes, but I also read other people's notes before making my own. It's best to take information from a lot of sources, that way you don't miss any information and then it's up to you to decide what you think is worth to write down in your own notes.

HSC

from my experience of making my own notes, I find that:
-another person's notes may have missing gaps
-some notes aren't detailed to your liking
-or some are not simplified enough
-expression of information is different to yours
-the lay-out is not to your liking (some stuff are better in tables)
-your own notes can be a combination of past notes

tip: you don't have to start from scratch, get past notes and edit it into your own way (whether that's handwriting or typing)
hope this helps!

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
I think spend these holidays really understanding the topics you studied in term 4 and getting your study notes sorted. Obviously you'll start new topics in term one, so it's all about consistency in maintaining what you know. Obviously the intricate details will not be remembered until exam time, but building up and already making notes and reading up will mean that you only have to go over it.. That way, 3-4 weeks before half-yearlies you can go full force and really study and you'll find it so so so much easier studying the earlier content because you mastered that in the holidays.

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
Term hasn't even started and you're all studying wtf it's not hsc yet peeps

FlameLash

HSC
Term hasn't even started and you're all studying wtf it's not hsc yet peeps
You'd find that most people who actually care about their education would be studying already. It's not about whether the term has started yet or not, but about consolidating a solid work ethic and routine, as well as getting a head start.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)