When does the POPE revisionist period start? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
angelduck said:
i agree, context ppl, he did great things for the world, and he was an amazing pope
yep ask any homosexual or anyone with aids if he was an amazing pope...
god you people are fucking blinded by the need to see him as a good bloke simply because of the virtue of the fact that he died...
everyone fucking well dies, why does death give people a reverance and holiness that they do not deserve?
and put it in context? im putting this subject in its perfect context, the pope was not an all round great guy. he was a homophobic, intolerant bigot.
all you women, do you also know that he refused to have women work directly for him... how do u feel about that?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
TurboTom said:
yep ask any homosexual or anyone with aids if he was an amazing pope...
god you people are fucking blinded by the need to see him as a good bloke simply because of the virtue of the fact that he died...
everyone fucking well dies, why does death give people a reverance and holiness that they do not deserve?
and put it in context? im putting this subject in its perfect context, the pope was not an all round great guy. he was a homophobic, intolerant bigot.
all you women, do you also know that he refused to have women work directly for him... how do u feel about that?
TurboTom, I will make a few points to you:
1. He did make a lot of changes to the Church, maybe not as many as he could have, but noone's perfect, and he did set the Church well on the way to more progressive thinking (he encouraged Catholics not to be prejudiced against gays).
2. He never made these policies, they are in the Bible, and it's extremely hard to find a loophole upon which to ignore such policies which have been so explicitly stated. Also, if the AIDS sufferers in Africa respect his opinion so much, why do they not follow the idea that is actively encouraged now abstinence prior to marriage. In his mind sex is only right and proper in one situation, and to encourage contraception would be, in his mind, to demean the true meaning of sex as a procreative action.
3. Everyone makes mistakes. Does that mean that we should not acknowledge someone as a great person if their good actions outweigh their bad ones 1000:1. No.
4. Go fuck yourself buddy, you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I cannot see why anyone would bother to defend such regressive sexual practice policies given the nature of the problem in Africa, and in time the consequences of that one 'mistake' may well more than outweigh the results of his more progressive achievements (however, this is Africa, remember, so I doubt that anyone of great import would care).

He had the chance to act, yet he didn't. Great catholic, though. Conservative to the end.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Personally, I disagree with his view on contraception as well, but the impression I got from TurboTom's posts was that he thought the Pope's decision was actively against HIV sufferers:
TurboTom said:
the pope was a homophobic bigot who had a mssive thing against people with HIV
And I was merely pointing out that he had a basis for his judgement, and that it was not an inherently malicious decision. Also (from what I can gather from googling) only around 15-20% of Africa's population are Roman Catholic, and while a future decision by a Pope to encourage contraception may help the problem, it will by no means mend it anywhere near completely.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
withoutaface said:
Personally, I disagree with his view on contraception as well, but the impression I got from TurboTom's posts was that he thought the Pope's decision was actively against HIV sufferers:

And I was merely pointing out that he had a basis for his judgement, and that it was not an inherently malicious decision. Also (from what I can gather from googling) only around 15-20% of Africa's population are Roman Catholic, and while a future decision by a Pope to encourage contraception may help the problem, it will by no means mend it anywhere near completely.
your an absolute fucking idiot. ok so i worded that poorly but read between the lines you moron. the popes stance on aids, and i looked this up is that the money and medicine should be going to people who have a non sin related disease, like cancer.
how the fuck can someone actively campaign against contraception and then expect people not to get aids?
and i notice that you have nothing to say about his dealings with weapons manufacturers... oh im sorry does that contradict everything youve said...

asscookie

dork.
HSC
iambored said:
:confused:

asdasdsadsad

I meant that the dominant religion/Christian denomination in Australia isn't Catholicism, so it's generally not going to be a bunch of Catholics who are going to be in your face preaching about their religion. Compared to somewhere like Italy, where the government would pay a lot more attention about what the Pope says (because it's a Catholic country).

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
TurboTom said:
your an absolute fucking idiot. ok so i worded that poorly but read between the lines you moron. the popes stance on aids, and i looked this up is that the money and medicine should be going to people who have a non sin related disease, like cancer.
how the fuck can someone actively campaign against contraception and then expect people not to get aids?
and i notice that you have nothing to say about his dealings with weapons manufacturers... oh im sorry does that contradict everything youve said...
Since when did JP2, the Vatican or Catholicism promote or encourage dealings with weapons manufactureres? Cause this is the first ive heard of it

dave_119

Banned
HSC
asscookie said:
I meant that the dominant religion/Christian denomination in Australia isn't Catholicism, so it's generally not going to be a bunch of Catholics who are going to be in your face preaching about their religion. Compared to somewhere like Italy, where the government would pay a lot more attention about what the Pope says (because it's a Catholic country).
you really are an ass, asscookie... Roman Catholicism is the dominant religion in australia along with anglicans...

sadsadsadsad

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Korn said:
Since when did JP2, the Vatican or Catholicism promote or encourage dealings with weapons manufactureres? Cause this is the first ive heard of it
wanna know why youve never heard it? because the majority of media institutions in australia would never go against or speak against the church
i assure you its true. im not talking shit. i really wish i was

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Im going to add random things:

1. Who says that they are considering making him a saint? The church surely didnt, and if you quoted that from anywhere else youd be a fool. There is a scrict criteria that must be followed, and the Pope doesnt match any of it yet.

2. Whether you like it or not, he was an outstanding man, and what he did bad is a matter of opinion, just because you dont agree with it doesnt mean others didnt.

2. Christianity represents over 70% of Australian population (and that doesnt include people who fill it out incorrectly and dont get included). And of that, Catholicism makes up the majority. If that isnt a majority then i dont know what is.

superbird

HSC
asscookie said:
Compared to somewhere like Italy, where the government would pay a lot more attention about what the Pope says (because it's a Catholic country).
May I remind you that Australia is a Catholic country

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
withoutaface said:
2. He never made these policies, they are in the Bible, and it's extremely hard to find a loophole upon which to ignore such policies which have been so explicitly stated. Also, if the AIDS sufferers in Africa respect his opinion so much, why do they not follow the idea that is actively encouraged now abstinence prior to marriage. In his mind sex is only right and proper in one situation, and to encourage contraception would be, in his mind, to demean the true meaning of sex as a procreative action.
2. The bible is not clear cut in anything. It is translated multiple times and in all cases even the original words have changed context many times over the history. It is open to intepretation as multiple things (for example the passage about homosexuality could be intepreted just to be about male prostitutes).

In any case Papal Infalliability would mean he doesn't have to find a loophole. He seemed to go well with the Big Bang theory even though that doesn't agree with the bible word for word.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
With a catholic majority

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
No. With catholics making up the largest section. Not a majority.

coco_87

get your facts right

iamsickofyear12 said:
He was just a religious figurehead, nothing more.
just a religious figurehead?? he brought nations and religions together, he had the ability to reach out to people of any culture, religion and age...

asscookie

dork.
HSC
There are definitely more protestant Christians in Australia than there are Catholics.

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
Xayma said:
No. With catholics making up the largest section. Not a majority.
That's true - funnily enough atheists/people who didn't fill out the form correctly are running second. It actually suprises me that people are still more attracted to Catholicism than the Church of England.

Regarding the AIDS/contraception/homosexuality thing, they've been tenets of Catholicism since the inception of the church, of course the Pope wouldn't overturn that. Morally, he should've, but the fact that he didn't shouldn't be suprising.

And why should we believe you that he encouraged arms deals? Where did you get your information from?

EDIT: Depends on how you define protestant, asscookie. If you define it as "not Catholic" then of course tehre are going to more of them. But according to the 2001 census, there are more Catholics than Anglicans.

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Well that has changed since the 1900 where more were Church of England.

asscookie

dork.
HSC
Monkey Butler said:
EDIT: Depends on how you define protestant, asscookie. If you define it as "not Catholic" then of course tehre are going to more of them. But according to the 2001 census, there are more Catholics than Anglicans.
I should've worded that differently. I meant that most Christians aren't Catholic (by those statistics and by my own observation). Looking at the stats I'm a little surprised at the low number of people who claimed affiliation with the Uniting Church/Baptist church.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)