• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which Excel books for year 11 (1 Viewer)

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Hi there,

I will be doing year 11 this year, and I am thinking about buying some excel books.

Am I doing the 'old' course or the new one? So which excel books match the syllabuses I will be doing (the old course of the new one)?

Anything else I should keep in mind?

HAPPY NEW YEAR :),

Regards,
googled

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
oh, and are they good for the whole two years?

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
googled said:
oh, and are they good for the whole two years?
Nothing in the Preliminary course is examinable for the HSC, with the exception of Maths. Year 11 basically lays the groundwork and theory for Year 12 study, for example, in Physics, you learn about electricity in Year 11, and extend on it with the Motors and Generators topic in Year 12. For this reason, I wouldn't buy Year 11 Excel books, since nothing in Year 11 is covered in the HSC for most subjects.

I_F

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
insert-username said:
Nothing in the Preliminary course is examinable for the HSC, with the exception of Maths. Year 11 basically lays the groundwork and theory for Year 12 study, for example, in Physics, you learn about electricity in Year 11, and extend on it with the Motors and Generators topic in Year 12. For this reason, I wouldn't buy Year 11 Excel books, since nothing in Year 11 is covered in the HSC for most subjects.

I_F

yeah but you still want to go into year12 with the best possible marks! anyways get excel business studies prelim if your doing it. but don't get the HSC one, it's crap lol.

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
yes, but are the excel books published in 2001 for the syllabus THIS year?

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
What I am asking is

<b> will a prelimary HSC excel book from last year have the course work in it of THIS YEAR's SYLLABUS, and if not, how do I tell which ones to buy? </b>

Riviet

HSC
N/A
googled said:
yes, but are the excel books published in 2001 for the syllabus THIS year?
The last major update of the syllabus was in 2001, and there have not been any big changes since then, so the excel books published for the 2001 revised syllabus are still up to date.

If in doubt, check the board of studies website, where they have all official syllabus for all hsc and preliminary subjects.

A l

HSC
N/A
Check the Board of Studies website for any recent amendments to the syllabus. As far as I know, there have been very few syllabus amendments recently, so I guess the latest editions out now are fine. Also, please state what courses you are intending to take, so we may be able to note any recent syllabus changes.
One thing I do know is in the case of English, you people are the first to undertake a new Area of Study, so you'll have to wait until those are published.

googled

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Subjects I'm doing are:

Advanced English
Extension English
3unit Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Modern History
French Continuers

Any major changes in the syllabus to any of them? Is it likely that a syllabus change could occur between now and the start of the school year?

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I highly doubt that there will be a syllabus amendment to the maths courses anytime soon, they have been the same for quite some years.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
There are so many new year 11 already stressing about what they to get for preliminary year. Remember you don’t want to burn out to soon you need to peak in the HSC year as that’s the one where all your marks count.

I would suggest you wait before rushing out and buying study books who knows you might not even need them…

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
Advanced English
Extension English
3unit Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Modern History
French Continuers
That's 14 units. Most people drop straight back to 12 in the Prelim year, so I would at least hold off until you know what you're going to keep and what you're going to drop. It's odds on you won't keep 14 units for the HSC. I still think you shouldn't bother for the Prelim year, but to each his own. :)

By the way, most Excel books will be updated to keep up with the syllabus, so if you buy new, you'll have no problems. Apart from that, I can't think of any syllabuses that have changed significantly since 2001.

EDIT: Corrected.

I_F

Last edited:

A l

HSC
N/A
After recent browsing through the Board of Studies website, the Area Of Study might not change in 2007 after all..............but don't quote me on that...................

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
ahahahha so my cousin has to suffer after all although im sure the new one would have been similar and just as bad :p

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
timobr0 said:
ahahahha so my cousin has to suffer after all although im sure the new one would have been similar and just as bad :p
i find journeys quite interesting.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
googled said:
Subjects I'm doing are:

Advanced English
Extension English
3unit Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Modern History
French Continuers

Any major changes in the syllabus to any of them? Is it likely that a syllabus change could occur between now and the start of the school year?
My Subjects-Text books i've got:
English- Excel Prelim English
Maths- Maths in focus,
Maths Ext 1-Cambridge 3u Yr11, Mathematics essentials 1 by Terry Lee, Accelerated Maths Learning 'Understanding 2+3U yr 11'
Chem- Nothing yet, im waiting to see what my school issues me (i would reccomend chemistry contexts, conquering chemistry)
Physics-I've got excel prelim
Modern History- I've got Macquarie Preliminary Modern History

Excel dont make an advanced or extension book for prelim only an enlgish prelim one.
Don't get an excel book for chem everyone says it's "really crap".

Don't buy your HSC books now, only prelim because of the HSC 2006 syllabus change.

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Wooz said:
Don't buy your HSC books now, only prelim because of the HSC 2006 syllabus change.
Some might also ask why you are buying prelim books before the year has started who know you might not need them. Plenty of people go without study guides and still do well even top the year. All things examined in prelim will be covered in class and if you want extra clarification then there is always the textbooks most course receive and the internet. But each to their own, good to see someone keen to start school.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
Kid.@dmin said:
Some might also ask why you are buying prelim books before the year has started who know you might not need them. Plenty of people go without study guides and still do well even top the year. All things examined in prelim will be covered in class and if you want extra clarification then there is always the textbooks most course receive and the internet. But each to their own, good to see someone keen to start school.
I have bought prelim books because i was told to catch up since the selective school that im changing to has already started there prelim over a term early.

xvelidras

HSC
googled said:
Subjects I'm doing are:

Advanced English
Extension English
3unit Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Modern History
French Continuers

I doubt a syllabus change is likely. As for the excel books, the biology ones are quite good. I wouldn't bother with excel chemistry, its a disgraceful study guide, the macquarie revision guide for chemistry is ALOT better. Not particularly sure abt the rest of the excel books

Kid.@dmin said:
Some might also ask why you are buying prelim books before the year has started who know you might not need them. Plenty of people go without study guides and still do well even top the year.
Most of the time, because you're too lazy to make your own notes, so you just revise from a study guide =P. It definately gives you a headstart on what you'll be learning. There may be people who do well without them, but the less time you have to spend on rereading textbooks and editting notes, means all the more time to do past papers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)