• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which is harder, Accounting or Microeconomics? (1 Viewer)

awal1959

HSC
in your opinions, which is more challenging and why?

thanks

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
econmics....because it is just too hard

accg - is bs. you generally get fed bs and can wing it

econ- from my exp it is nott the easiest thing - conceptually a challenge like driving home and trying to avoid rbts

tlodg

HSC
N/A
micro requires talent more than intro acct

if you have background in accounting prior to tertiary studies then introductory accounting would likely be easier. (meaning even if you did took econ in high school you still may find micro hard)

when u get to financial accounting, that's a different story.

EDIT: I found micro easier than intro acct but my marks did not reflect that.

dude01

HSC
Seriously, I found intro accounting harder. A lot harder. One of the reasons being it is just so boring, I never did any work for it. Thus, I literally learnt the whole subject in a few days before the final exam (I failed every other assessment). Somehow I managed to pass that subject.

Microeconomics is really interesting, and I found it easy. My marks also reflected that.

turtleface

HSC
Having done well in VCE Acc, Acc 1A was a joke compared to Micro. However the failure rates in Acc 1A is higher than intro micro so others must find it harder.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Micro was harder for me (and I did HSC economics and was good at it!). 1st year micro anyway.

Acct is boring as all hell but it's just a numbers game. Do all your work, pay attention and it's hard to fall off the tracks.

Micro is more intuitive and you have to "get it".

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
@ turtle

people always say that if do VCE accounting and ace it ull fly thru first year uni acc since its all the same, is that srsly tru?!

Conspirocy

HSC
totally true...acct is a numbers game, do the work and should get through it.

also true, that people usually find micro easier, but their marks dont reflect that. im in my 3rd year of economics, ive found there is a certain way they want you to write and if you dont have that style then your marks suffer. people from my subjects usually get all the content, but for some reason dont translate that onto paper. i know someone who had 2 weeks to study for their final which was 70 % of the total mark, they were on 24/30 up to that stage, and they ended up with a credit which they found very frustrating. they basically just passed the exam. sometimes you really wonder about the marking in the economics department

HSC
AppleXY said:
@ turtle

people always say that if do VCE accounting and ace it ull fly thru first year uni acc since its all the same, is that srsly tru?!
why not concentrate on finishing year 11 first?

pete_mate

HSC
they award the nobel prize in economics, physics, chemistry etc.

not accounting....

its just debits and credits ffs

turtleface

HSC
appleXY said:
@ turtle

I think you still have to work. I know a guy who got like a study score of 46 in VCE and did really well (mid 90's) for Acc 1A but I also know a guy who got like a study score of 48 and ended up with 67 for Acc 1A. I think its how seriously you treat the 1st accounting course. Theres only about 40% overlap I estimate, however if you are 100% proficient in VCE accounting I think you can (only just) pass Acc 1A without going to any classes. But don't quote me :)

pete_mate said:
they award the nobel prize in economics, physics, chemistry etc.

not accounting....

its just debits and credits ffs
Im not sure why everyone likes to dismiss accounting as debits and credits. Have you gone beyond 2nd year Accounting? Nobody mentions debits and credits anymore. Thats just likre saying Economics is "just supply and demand ffs". Obviously there is more to it then that basic model.

As for no nobel prizes in accounting, I think thats because accounting is not a science like economics, physics, chemistry and medicine are. Hence there are no nobel prizes in fields like History, Law, Management either. But there have been accounting related awards for the nobel prize in economics such as the one to Sir Richard Stone I think for an income accounting system.

Archimedes

HSC
First year micro eco is fairly difficult, as first year subjects go. I'd definitely rate it more difficult that 1st year accounting.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
I'm fairly confident with my mid semester micro exam (had it last monday) and is expecting around 70-82%. There's an accounting exam coming up in 3 days, I'm looking forward to seeing which subject is harder.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
first year economics is bloody easy. once you hit 2nd year is ok. third year is, wow, wtf is this?

Chris.

HSC
dyun said:
I'm fairly confident with my mid semester micro exam (had it last monday) and is expecting around 70-82%. There's an accounting exam coming up in 3 days, I'm looking forward to seeing which subject is harder.

looking forward to it?

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
noneother said:
first year economics is bloody easy. once you hit 2nd year is ok. third year is, wow, wtf is this?
oh really? so it is safe to assume you obtained a HD for micro1 with minimal effort?

denise_

So fetch!
HSC
I think Microeconomics IMO would have to be the harder of the two. Accounting is not really hard, you just need time to actually sit down and do all the work.

Epic_Postings

lol wut?
HSC
dyun said:
Just did the accounting exam. all i can say is lol, micro is definitely more difficult.

Hopefully my results reflect that

volition

arr.
HSC
I reckon generally speaking accounting is harder because heaps of people in Commerce/Economics degrees have done HSC economics which prepares you pretty well for Micro 1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)