which is harder to attain a B6 in Eng std or Eng Adv (1 Viewer)

2S1D3

HSC
here are some hsc band statistics for the past 2 years of band 5 and 6s

2008 - band 6
Advanced - 10.83%
Standard - 0.23%

2008 - band 5
Advanced - 38.56%
Standard - 5.72%
-------------------------------------------
2007 - band 6
Advanced - 9.18%
Standard - 0.07%

2007 - band 5
Advanced - 37.67%
Standard - 3.32%

Since english is compulsary, the people that have little aptitude for or don't want to do the subject will choose standard - personally i think this is reflected in the statistics.
exactly

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Mmmm, I totally agree with that statement. It is about the candidates effort and will to want to go well in the subject.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Mmmm, I totally agree with that statement. It is about the candidates effort and will to want to go well in the subject.
Yeah - but the capable students in Standard (usually those who dropped to standard from advanced) will slack off and will not work as hard as they did in Advanced. That affects the statistics.

In my opinion - just choose what you feel comfortable doing and work your hardest at that level. I chose Extension but I didn't feel comfortable with the amount of English work so I dropped and i don't regret it.

melissaLOL

HSC
i think its easier to get b6 in adv because the course's standard gives you more opportunity to show off your skills, hence easier to get b6

binary star

HSC
From what I've heard, not many people who do standard manage to get B6.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
True - I think there's only ~ 27 Band 6s up for grab for Standard English in the HSC.

Don't quote me on this though - I could be wrong.
The places are not limited. It can be even 1000 places if people are good enough.

bored of sc

HSC
The places are not limited. It can be even 1000 places if people are good enough.
True. Actually, I think there will be growing number of band 6's in standard as canditure increases.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
True. Actually, I think there will be growing number of band 6's in standard as canditure increases.
Hm, not entirely correct. English (Standard) has been quite steady in terms of the number of students. It has been always around 30000 people.

If that's the trend we see (i.e. increasing number of students), the percentage should stay about same but percentage dramatically increased over the years. I think it just suggests that the quality of the students undertaking the course is dramatically improving too.

LeetSpeek

HSC
Standard obviously, Also bonus points are not awarded to students doing standard in UNI prefrences as they are considered to be doing the bear minimal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)