which is harder to attain a B6 in Eng std or Eng Adv (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Lyounamu, how is your point related to the thread?

You preach the importance of not offending people throughout this forum, and here you are doing the exact opposite. It's pretty obvious, I would have thought, that people doing a higher level of English are more skilled at the subject than those students doing a lower level.

If you somehow think that the english literature skills of those students doing St English are indicative of their abilities across other subjects, you are poorly mistaken my friend.

You puzzle me. You seem intelligent, yet you also seem to lack the basic common sense that many are equipped with. You'll need this if you are to succeed next year.
Okay. May be my wording was wrong. But as an English (Standard) student myself, I thought I had to make myself clear. English (Standard) students are generally worse than English (Advanced) students in English.

And I don't remember saying that English (Standard) people are worse students themselves. Throughout the posts, I have suggested that you can certainly get a high UAI with English (Standard) and I myself believe in that.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
He may not have meant it in the same way but that's how it came across.

I have no idea who this kid is but he's kind of a dick and he's also pretty wrong.
And if you read again in the same post, I suggested that they are worse in English. (in the post in the first section of this thread)

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
He may not have meant it in the same way but that's how it came across.

I have no idea who this kid is but he's kind of a dick and he's also pretty wrong.

I don't think he meant it that way... at least when i read the sentence as a whole
i see it meaning people who take standard are not as good at English as those in advanced?

"why don't people just accept that english standard people are just shitter in english? It's not harder, it's simple: people doing english standard are just shitter.

that's a little silly anyway, people choose to take standard for many different reasons, its not all about academic ability.

Last edited:

peter2

Banned
HSC
Exactly. "OHHH NAMMMUUUU, UR the best and you are going to get an UAI of 100 even though year 12 just started a term ago and we have done barely any of our assessments yet". Fucking chongs piece of shit loser fucks dooo waaaaaa ching. No affence to Namu with this post though only to those people sucking his dick and thinking hes a young Einstein.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
^I made my position clear in few of my past posts. I know that I will find it very difficult to get 100 UAI (actually I don't think I will even get close to it). Whatever others say, I don't have any control over that. And I agree. It's a bit premature to say that at this point in time.

I don't think he meant it that way... at least when i read the sentence as a whole
i see it meaning people who take standard are not as good at English as those in advanced?

"why don't people just accept that english standard people are just shitter in english? It's not harder, it's simple: people doing english standard are just shitter. Lyounamu, how is your point related to the thread?"

that's a little silly anyway, people choose to take standard for many different reasons, its not all about academic ability.
Yes, I was merely generalising which I shouldn't have done.

I know that there are lots of people in English (Standard) course who are capable enough to do English (Advanced) but generally (if people read that) English (Standard) people are just worse in English.

I am not really offending them and myself, it's the truth.

Last edited:

dp624

HSC
he'll do well, that's for sure
not sold on the 100UAI yet... need more time to see =D

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
Based on Scaling Reports, in the last couple of years, there hasn't really been any difference between Advanced and Standard. In 2006 it was harder to get a solid aligned mark in Advanced than in Standard, but the gap between them seems to shrink as you approach band 6. Before then, I believe it was harder to get a solid aligned mark in Standard, but I have no data on that ;).

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. They're scaled the same in regards to UAI calculation. Choose whatever one you feel more motivated to achieve in.

TBK11

HSC
ehh i dont no how the thread got so violent i just merly asked a question lol,
anyway example getting a 85+ in english stnd be on the same line as gettin an 85+ in eng adv will it affect your UAI if so how,
also i red that for 2008 the median for Eng stnd was 67/100
so example if some1 this yr got 70+ this year would they get scaled up

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
ehh i dont no how the thread got so violent i just merly asked a question lol,
anyway example getting a 85+ in english stnd be on the same line as gettin an 85+ in eng adv will it affect your UAI if so how,
also i red that for 2008 the median for Eng stnd was 67/100
so example if some1 this yr got 70+ this year would they get scaled up
85% in Advanced English will be scaled to 76% but 85% in Standard English will be scaled to 72%. So there is a slight difference, but that's according to SAM 2008.

I wouldn't really aim for 70% because that mark will get scaled down to like 41%. If I were you I'd aim to at least get 95%.

As for scaling, barely any subjects get scaled up other then Mathematics Extension 2 and Latin Extension. Through research I've discovered that most Math based subjects, such as Physics, do get scaled up but that's only if you do relatively well in them. I'm talking about getting above 95%.

Last edited:

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
No offense to namu -

but what the fuck is with people sucking namu's dick saying that he'll get 100 UAI? seriously.
wouldn't be surprised if he 99+'d it but 'OMG NAMU IS 100 UAI' is just stupid.
I reckon people are just comparing him with dp624. I mean they both have a lot in common:

Both of them are Asians
Both of them are Immigrants
Both of them are Math geniuses
Both go around helping out other people
Both have conquered the forums (Lol look at how many posts those two have. They've been to like every thread created)

But hey this is just my personal opinion.

Brontecat

HSC
here are some hsc band statistics for the past 2 years of band 5 and 6s

2008 - band 6
Advanced - 10.83%
Standard - 0.23%

2008 - band 5
Advanced - 38.56%
Standard - 5.72%
-------------------------------------------
2007 - band 6
Advanced - 9.18%
Standard - 0.07%

2007 - band 5
Advanced - 37.67%
Standard - 3.32%

Since english is compulsary, the people that have little aptitude for or don't want to do the subject will choose standard - personally i think this is reflected in the statistics.

savio23q

Band
HSC
If you're capable of a band 6 in standard then you should be doing advanced.

TBK11

HSC
If you're capable of a band 6 in standard then you should be doing advanced.
the work load is the onli problem, i mean if u go down to standard after yr11 ull surly have a alot more extra time then u would if u do eng adv (maybe?)

Brontecat

HSC
the work load is the onli problem, i mean if u go down to standard after yr11 ull surly have a alot more extra time then u would if u do eng adv (maybe?)
i think u'd only have extra time if you were rlly good and breezed through the work cause basically they're both 2U

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
I don't think you would get a significant amount of extra time, but then again why would you pick the course which solely provides you with extra time?

I'm aiming for a career in Medicine and that requires a lot of hard work. Initially I wanted to drop Biology for Year 12 but my Career Adviser asked me:

"Who would you rather take a sick person to? A doctor who worked hard for his/her position? Or a doctor who just decided to take the easy shortcut?"

I've decided that I am going to do Biology now, so in total I'd be doing 12 units for HSC. The HSC is about working hard. If you don't work hard than you won't do well in University because there is a lot of work there as well. Judging by your UAI aim, I'm sure that your University course is going to be long and complex. It'll be good if you take Advanced English because then you'll have the chance of developing effective time management skills.

Well it's your choice after all so you don't have to listen to me if you don't want to. Good luck in Year 11 and 12!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'd have to definitely say that Standard English would be harder to reach a higher UAI because the exams are marked together and are the same... Doing Adv. English simply gives you an advantage of a better/higher education and pushed further with work.

dux&src

just a star-crossed lover
HSC
I don't think you would get a significant amount of extra time, but then again why would you pick the course which solely provides you with extra time?

I'm aiming for a career in Medicine and that requires a lot of hard work. Initially I wanted to drop Biology for Year 12 but my Career Adviser asked me:

"Who would you rather take a sick person to? A doctor who worked hard for his/her position? Or a doctor who just decided to take the easy shortcut?"

I've decided that I am going to do Biology now, so in total I'd be doing 12 units for HSC. The HSC is about working hard. If you don't work hard than you won't do well in University because there is a lot of work there as well. Judging by your UAI aim, I'm sure that your University course is going to be long and complex. It'll be good if you take Advanced English because then you'll have the chance of developing effective time management skills.

Well it's your choice after all so you don't have to listen to me if you don't want to. Good luck in Year 11 and 12!

Absolutely.. At my school a student who received dux in year 11 2008 who is currently completing year 12 for 2009 is doing 14 units.

He is taking Adv. English, extension 1 maths, extension 2 maths, Modern history, chemistry, biology, physics, .. i dunno why he is doing 14 units .. but i'l ask him :p

So yeah i guess it would force you to improve your time-management skills.

As for me, i will be juggling work, school and tennis ...

O lordy...

JollyJohn

HSC
N/A
lol dux&src i love ur username, its so straightforward and direct

doesn't fuck around! just says it!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
lol dux&src i love ur username, its so straightforward and direct

doesn't fuck around! just says it!
It is quite forward :D But at least everyone recognises who is posting on the forum :)

P.S. Try not to swear over nothing...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)