Which is the best uni for business/commerce/economics? (1 Viewer)

which uni is the best for commerce

• UNSW

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • USYD

Votes: 10 16.7%
  • MAC

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • UTS

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

pillow12345

HSC
Re: which uni is best?

You shouldn't care about your uni. I guarantee now that if you have good grades and/or match the job profile that you are apply for and are interviewed for, your employer won't give a sh** about where you studied.

Its merely a myth by people who go to certain unis and believe they have to be better somehow because of UAI/ATAR entrance ranks etc etc.

Go to wherever offers the course/s that interest you the most.
Couldn't agree more, it might give you an upper hand but ultimately what is the point of someone from UNSW with an ATAR of 99.70 who can't express themselves or talk which are the main determining factors in interviews, a degree from there might only let you get the interview in the first place, it is all you from there on.

waryap

HSC

hmmm yeah, I see what you mean. So generally, employers don't look at which uni you went to? I mean it has to be an indicator of some sort, right? Because I heard UNSW's exams are much harder than UTS's.

Vagabond

Machine
HSC

You shouldn't care about your uni. I guarantee now that if you have good grades and/or match the job profile that you are apply for and are interviewed for, your employer won't give a sh** about where you studied.

Its merely a myth by people who go to certain unis and believe they have to be better somehow because of UAI/ATAR entrance ranks etc etc.

Maybe if you're applying to Accountants R Us...

Anyone who wants to maximize their chances and options would be doing themselves a disservice by avoiding a G8 university.

ekoolish

Impossible?
HSC

unsw because i go there and by saying it is the best uni i can stroke my ego vigorously

patty4848

HSC

Maybe if you're applying to Accountants R Us...

Anyone who wants to maximize their chances and options would be doing themselves a disservice by avoiding a G8 university.
You know G8 unis are recognised as such for their academic research right...?

Anyone who wants to maximise their chances and options would be doing thems a disservice by choosing a university for the sake of its reputation (or in the case of G8 Unis, for the sake of its postgraduate academic research potential).

Vagabond

Machine
HSC

You know G8 unis are recognised as such for their academic research right...?

Anyone who wants to maximise their chances and options would be doing thems a disservice by choosing a university for the sake of its reputation (or in the case of G8 Unis, for the sake of its postgraduate academic research potential).
I'll accept its difficult to establish causality - maybe employers aren't discriminating - perhaps the reason these patterns exist is because high achievers choose to study in G8 unis in the first place?

I doubt many people are concerned with postgraduate research potential - rather the status of the university as a whole. This fuels into higher demand and inflated course cutoffs which ironically tangibly rewards students via a degree of exclusivity.

frauelize

HSC

macquarie uni has a train station....a fucking train station. who cares about socializing
and a new hospital (owned by MQ uni of course) and a new huge ass library. not to mention macquarie centre heheh

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad

Nah your UAI doesn't matter in the real world, except when your interviewer makes the passing remark "oh a perfect UAI"

But then again if your UAI is 70 it wouldn't really make a difference if you wrote 80. Your CV will be out the door either way

theaussieinhk

HSC

There are always special cases and I don't agree that if you have a low UAI you will be out the door (I have seen people with low UAI get into top companies)

I am working in a big 4 firm next year (I am from MQ) and I wouldn't look down on anyone that has a low UAI.

Once you go into the real world (or even look at your uni), people who do well at HSC is generally a indicator of future success (not always). There is always going to be a percentage of your class that fails not matter what degree or uni you go to.

My belief is that if you are good, you will rise to the top. If you are not confident that you are the best, you will want to 'rely' on the reputation of your uni (or networks) to get you that job.

chrisong1

HSC
N/A
Is B economics better at USYD or UNSW??? also...................................

also.....................

I heard that after you graduate in economics at a university you cant get a job!!!

So if I studied 1 year more and got a masters degree....

would that stabilise a job for me???

if not would a PHD???

slyhunter

Retired
HSC
Re: Is B economics better at USYD or UNSW??? also...................................

You hear lots of things don't you?

UNSW is supreme.

kooltrainer

HSC
Re: Is B economics better at USYD or UNSW??? also...................................

seems like u like economics a lot... so much that ur willing to even further into a phd.. if thats the case just do it and dun worry about it coz worse comes to worse u can be a tutor at ur university just by being a phd student... then u can continue further to become a lecturer... but looking for work in the workforce is kinda hard coz firms in general (say accounting, finance, management) dun need an economic analysis in their team... u can still look at the government sector and work as i duno, prime minster's assistant or sumthing? or commsec ... :)

but yea ur right, there are less jobs for economics RELATIVE to majors like accounting or finance or acturial studies

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)