Which language would you teach your kids to speak first? Why? (1 Viewer)

Which language would you teach your kids to speak first?

• Total voters

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Very true, it's quite unfortunate to see the number of Chinese people having absolutely no pride or interest in Chinese culture. I myself regret not knowing more about Chinese history and I would wager probably 95% of the new generation of Chinese kids know nothing about Chinese history.
K-pop and K-drama has taken over the Asian World.

DavDav

Where is the Love?
HSC
Uni Grad
I feel there's more than enough content said on this thread to write an essay on belonging to one's culture.

Not that I would want to go back to the mess that is the HSC. ;)

SayWut

HSC
i'm gonna teach my kids russian because it's fucking bad ass

Caten

HSC
I know this may be pretty far away for me and many of us. But for the people who usually speak another language other than English at home. Would you teach your kids english as their first language? or not?

But then, what if your parents aren't fluent in english then they won't be able to communicate?

Also, I'm pretty sure I'll be speaking english with my partner.

Ahh... I really don't know.

What about you guys?
Considering how bad I am with Vietnamese, I'm probably going to teach them young kids english first because it'll be easier for me and my future partner :L
But they'll definitely learn more of the other languages (depending on my partner's nash) than english as they hang around more with our parents and then in-laws, as well as our relatives !
And as they grow up, i would probably force every single vietnamese word into them from my vocabulary, until they go into Saturday Vietnamese School. muhahaha

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
And as they grow up, i would probably force every single vietnamese word into them from my vocabulary, until they go into Saturday Vietnamese School. muhahaha
Won't work. Too late. They'd be so Anglo in outlook and identity that they won't give a damn. You don't need to teach them English. Growing up here they'll take to English like duck to water. Do you think you would be able to speak Vietnamese today if circumstances did not require you to learn to speak it as a kid?

Caten

HSC
Won't work. Too late. They'd be so Anglo in outlook and identity that they won't give a damn. You don't need to teach them English. Growing up here they'll take to English like duck to water. Do you think you would be able to speak Vietnamese today if circumstances did not require you to learn to speak it as a kid?
I totally agree with you Drongoski ! I would probably not learn it as efficiently as if i wasn't brought up with that particular language. But there are some circumstances when well grown people are able to fully learn 2nd or maybe 3rd languages when they try very hard to get it. I hear it from my parents all the time as motivation to learn vietnamese more in the future. :L

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
English, obviously. Assuming they aren't complete dunces, they can learn whatever other language they want when they are old enough to choose (as long as it is cantonese)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)