Which one is best to you? (1 Viewer)

S

sami06

Which Windows Operating do you like most between Windows 7 vs Windows 8?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Haven't tried Windows 8 (dont really like the previews for it either) so for now, Windows 7.

jackl25

HSC
I love the familiarity of Windows 7.

I will keep an open mind as to Windows 8. I love Windows Phone, (in fact I am purchasing a Nokia Lumia 800 this week), but I don't think that 'Metro' looks as good on bigger screens.

But I am thankful that Windows 8 is as fluent with touch as it is with mouse and keyboard (even if the UI in present state has hindered the usability of mouse and keyboard).

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't like the look of Windows 8. Way too simplified. No chance of me upgrading if they don't retain the standard interface.

Arcorn

Ban ned
HSC
I don't like the look of Windows 8, all this flashy UIs are just crap. If I wasn't so lazy, I'd set up OpenSUSE on this machine properly. But finding drivers for everything is a fucking bitch, I must have got the least Linux friendly laptop ever.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Windows 8 wouldn't be too bad with a touchscreen but I don't envisage doing so in the near future. I feel much more comfortable using a mouse & keyboard so the new UI would be useless to me. If anything, my productive would decrease.

skyhawkmatthew

Your Captain
HSC
I tried out the Windows 8 preview - it's totally jarring going between Metro and the normal desktop. They need to get that worked out - and Metro kinda works with keyboard and mouse, but it would be a total pain having to use it all the time, I think.

Demento1

Philosopher.
HSC
I think the constant improvements on Windows is like a double edged sword :D. You gotta enjoy the new improvements that are to be expected in future but you gotta hate yourself for only just purchasing windows 7 recently like me.

nahi11

HSC
Don't like the look of Windows 8. Way too simplified. No chance of me upgrading if they don't retain the standard interface.
They do, both the standard and metro desktops are provided (with some difference made to the standard).

passionxmusic

HSC
N/A
Windows 7 definitely - I know all the hot keys, shortcuts and am familiar with all the program functions. Windows 8 preview - still trying to explore... giving it a 7.5/10 for now.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
They do, both the standard and metro desktops are provided (with some difference made to the standard).
From my understanding though, Metro is used as the 'home' screen in all cases?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It seems very similar to Windows 7 except they made it more touch screen friendly and they are ribboning up everything :(

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't care for Metro, etc... just feels like they change for sake of change and with all the legacy users and applications, I don't see the point. Microsoft's advantage comes from the billions of long term users who know how to use their software, and the billions of applications out there which are cheap and work on Microsoft OS's. If anything, forcing people to change may just increase adoption of alternate OSes- if you're going to force people to change, then they may as well change to something they like.

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
I don't care for Metro, etc... just feels like they change for sake of change and with all the legacy users and applications, I don't see the point. Microsoft's advantage comes from the billions of long term users who know how to use their software, and the billions of applications out there which are cheap and work on Microsoft OS's. If anything, forcing people to change may just increase adoption of alternate OSes- if you're going to force people to change, then they may as well change to something they like.
^ (mostly) This.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
XP was good but too slow and cluttered compared to W7 imo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)