• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Which subject is best and why? Chem, physics, bio (1 Viewer)

ForbiddenND

HSC
Out of chemistry, physics or biology, which subject is the best and why?

-tal-

HSC
chemistry, because it's more factually based. physics .. sucks, because it's actually very boring, and it's the same over and over again. Can't use it in real life very much, not even in everyday situations. whereas chem, oth, can be used everyday.

eg, boiling water. a short container boils water faster than a tall one.

Muz4PM

HSC
I agree with Kat that it depends upon what you are interested in. I don't to biology, so I cannot comment on it, but a number of my friends do it and don't enjoy it. I do both physics and chemistry and in Year 11 I found physics to be better, but now I have found that in Year 12 chemistry is easier.

I think chemistry is pretty common sense (except solubility rules), does not require as much maths as physics and does not have as many abstract ideas to work out as physics does.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Chemistry cause it sorta links with all the other sciences.

IMABOYDAMON!

Banned
HSC
They're all shit, hence I didn't pick any, and hence I cannot make a judgement, and hence, I'm going to stop using the word hence.

Cerry

HSC
It depends what you're like at maths to some degree. If you suck at maths, then Bio would be the best subject for you to take, because I don't think you need maths at all. Chem, on the other hand, has some really fun pracs (and then there's titration...), and the maths is alright once you get your head around it.

Aznmichael92

HSC
i say chemistry is better as you get more enjoyable practs at least that is the case at my school. Also, it is an assumed knowledge in almost all science courses. Which will make your life easier at Uni if you did it at school.

bored of sc

HSC
kaz1 said:
Chemistry cause it sorta links with all the other sciences.
QFT.

Chemistry is the science (bar senior science) closest to having snippets of Biology and Physics in it. Thus, it is possibly the subject that gives you a better overall picture in terms of scientific knowledge.

protocol1992

HSC
hmmmm..I'd have to say Biology...but chem is good too...hmm id say bio cauz its interesting (except for some bits which dont make sense) and its easy to understand:read:

jules.09

HSC
PHYSICS FTW!

I think physics is the most interesting of them all. This doesn't have any relevance to my love of math though. Physics is essentially very applicable to all sorts of situations, like driving, cycling and flying. Then there's electricity and different ways of harnessing energy for our consumption. Our electrical appliances are very much the product of physics.

But in terms of high school and purely getting a good mark for the HSC, biology is memorisation and scales worst out of the three sciences. Then there is chemistry which is still memorisation and a bit of math here and there and heaps of formula applying. Physics I find is personally much more conceptual and seeks to explain why things exist today (first cause). It also scales best, relatively. But we all know scaling doesn't mean much if we're average or bad students. It's also 75% male dominated from what I saw on UAC '07 records lol.

At the end of the day, we are all interested in different areas and there is no actual best subject!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
jules.09 said:
PHYSICS FTW!

I think physics is the most interesting of them all. This doesn't have any relevance to my love of math though. Physics is essentially very applicable to all sorts of situations, like driving, cycling and flying. Then there's electricity and different ways of harnessing energy for our consumption. Our electrical appliances are very much the product of physics.

But in terms of high school and purely getting a good mark for the HSC, biology is memorisation and scales worst out of the three sciences. Then there is chemistry which is still memorisation and a bit of math here and there and heaps of formula applying. Physics I find is personally much more conceptual and seeks to explain why things exist today (first cause). It also scales best, relatively. But we all know scaling doesn't mean much if we're average or bad students. It's also 75% male dominated from what I saw on UAC '07 records lol.

At the end of the day, we are all interested in different areas and there is no actual best subject!
Exactly, forget about chem, forget about Bio, Physics FTW!
Also, about the scaling, I agree with the fact that scaling has nothing to do with it, but usually only capable students choose Physics? I know at my school, they required us to get an A in science to do Physics, and that most non-capable students would go "stuff.. physics" - couldn't think of a better way to phrase that.

-tal-

HSC
jules.09 said:
PHYSICS FTW!

Physics I find is personally much more conceptual and seeks to explain why things exist today (first cause). It also scales best, relatively. But we all know scaling doesn't mean much if we're average or bad students. It's also 75% male dominated from what I saw on UAC '07 records lol.
ok, that, is COMPLETELY off target. chemistry is by far, the best scaling science. i checked uac, and did the maths, and checked other people's results.

To get scaled to a 40 aggregate mark (roughly a mark of 90-95 on test) you have to get a mark of at least 82. whereas physics, a 40 aggregate means you have to get at least a mark of 84.

jules.09

HSC
-tal- said:
ok, that, is COMPLETELY off target. chemistry is by far, the best scaling science. i checked uac, and did the maths, and checked other people's results.

To get scaled to a 40 aggregate mark (roughly a mark of 90-95 on test) you have to get a mark of at least 82. whereas physics, a 40 aggregate means you have to get at least a mark of 84.
Ok, well from what I'm reading off the tables, to be in the 90th pecentile and above, the scaled mark required was 42.6 for chemistry and 41.7 for physics. I guess my idea of it is that you wouldnt have needed as high a mark, in 2007.

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
I do chem, bio and SS, and my favourite would probably be bio. But especially where bio and chem are both involved- like in kidneys and nephrons, where it helps if you know some chem.
I agree with vulgar though, BOS seems to make it 9405943059403850934 times shitter =)

Bahhh, and for chem, we're doing the industrial chem option, instead of something interesting like, oh, Biochem or forensics?

Hollieee

You're unbelievable.
HSC
bored of sc said:
QFT.

Chemistry is the science (bar senior science) closest to having snippets of Biology and Physics in it. Thus, it is possibly the subject that gives you a better overall picture in terms of scientific knowledge.
I agree. That's one reason I really like chem. I'm at a bit of a disadvantage because I'm not brilliant at maths. I would have liked to do physics, because I find the concepts very interesting (esp in relation to chem) but I don't think I could handle it.
Kinda wish I had of done it though. =)

runnable

HSC
I think Physics has the most relevance to our lives. If one day our child asks us something random in the middle of the day its going to be:

1) How do our kidneys work? What is divergent/convergent evolution?
2) How does the television/speaker/cooktop/braking work?
3) What is a ionic/covalent bond?

Although it may come in more in our lives, it doesnt mean its better than the other 2.

HSC
i think they all have their good and bad points, and it depends what you're interested in...
some of the physics things are pretty interesting, and you just think wow... but then some are really boring like the life cycle of stars (sorry if you're interested in that but i'm not)
bio in a lot of ways is quite boring... theres SO much of it and you just have to memorise it!
in chem, it looks complicated, but if you get your head around the simpler things it all makes sense :) and it is interesting to a point...

so yeah, i dont know :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)