Who feels really bad about their Atar? (1 Viewer)

tonyharrison

HSC
The only reason i'd be disappointed is if i didn't get an atar high enough to get into the course i wanted.
It doesn't matter how high or low, it's getting into the course that is the reason you did it.
In my opinion, even if you think you got a bad mark, if you get to do what you want at uni, you're blessed.

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
Cheer up guys, it's just a number

Think of it as getting a ticket but missing your train.. okay, that might piss you of a little bit, but then there are various other paths/trains you can catch

Remember: All Stations to Central :karate:

HSC
Before you guys attack me I'll give you a reason why im pissed bout my 91.65:
*Worked like a dog all year for Adv English 2U Maths and the science trio
*Don't understand how i went so bad in the HSC exams. Thought i gunned it..
*Parents are dissapointed in me
So yeh thats it.
i understand your point of view as it was lower towards your expectation and you worked harder to get more, but at least your lucky imo, some people would do anything to attain that ATAR.

Things will work out in the end :eek:

bubbrubb

HSC
i dont want to sound harsh but uni i hear is 10 x harder than highschool...

if you cudnt get above 70 atar then unless you undergo a complete transformation in work ethics then you wont be able to achieve the credit average or whateva u need to transfer into the course you want

HSC
i dont want to sound harsh but uni i hear is 10 x harder than highschool...

if you cudnt get above 70 atar then unless you undergo a complete transformation in work ethics then you wont be able to achieve the credit average or whateva u need to transfer into the course you want
that's oversimplification

PattieBoi

HSC
The only reason Uni is harder than Year 11 and 12 is because you don't have teachers spoon feeding you (admit it bitches, you all got spoon fed at some stage during senior high school). I mean, if you're smart enough to go through Year 11 and 12 without failing, then you should be smart enough to get through Uni.

Just my own personal opinion.

I do feel bad about my ATAR. Band 5,4,4,3,3,2 and I end up with a 47.90!?

penguin.ali

HSC
Who is to say that just because you got an ATAR under 70 it means that you have no work ethic? I know plenty of people who worked their hands to the bone in preparation and study for the HSC and only achieved something in the 60's. This is due to many other factors happening in their lives, not just their ability to work hard and retain knowledge.

Indeed, if you did have no work ethic University would be incredibly hard and frankly, a stupid idea if you don't plan to work hard at all, but we can't pigeon-hole people by saying <70 = Didn't put in effort.

HSC
Who is to say that just because you got an ATAR under 70 it means that you have no work ethic? I know plenty of people who worked their hands to the bone in preparation and study for the HSC and only achieved something in the 60's. This is due to many other factors happening in their lives, not just their ability to work hard and retain knowledge.

Indeed, if you did have no work ethic University would be incredibly hard and frankly, a stupid idea if you don't plan to work hard at all, but we can't pigeon-hole people by saying <70 = Didn't put in effort.
+infinity

and i'm over it now, what's done is done think about the future.

copeys

HSC
+1. Too true. I feel so bad, but not because I went bad. A friend of mine worked her ASS off to get her mark (60s). Got 3 months off work, studied for HOURS, and I mean it. Getting up at 6 to start at 7 with 1 hr off for lunch and 1 hr off for tea, and in bed at 1AM. I think her problem was she tired herself out, but she did have time off before the HSC. But when compared to mine (87.6) I feel guilty as if not putting in enough effort - I feel as if I don't deserve it as much as she would.

But on the subject of work ethic for Uni's, I had minimal spoon feeding (apart from the odd afternoon before the HSC when I would facebook the teacher to ask a question). I never had tutoring, and I never had extra lessons. I feel I worked, and to be honest, I can't wait to watch the people who told me they needed to fork out $100^/week to "study" and get a good mark, fail in uni. Yes, that may be mean, but they had ZERO work ethic, relying on the extra lessons and tutors to spoon feed them answers. And it will be a shock when Uni rocks around.

Abbiesaurus

HSC
Your atar is rarely an indication of how well you will go at uni. Because at uni you should be doing something you have a great interest in and therefore will be interested in learning and thus earn better results. My friend got an atar of 65 and is now getting all D's and HD's in IT.

In a few months time when you start uni/tafe or whatever nobody will give a crap what your atar was.

jellybelly59

HSC
But on the subject of work ethic for Uni's, I had minimal spoon feeding (apart from the odd afternoon before the HSC when I would facebook the teacher to ask a question). I never had tutoring, and I never had extra lessons. I feel I worked, and to be honest, I can't wait to watch the people who told me they needed to fork out $100^/week to "study" and get a good mark, fail in uni. Yes, that may be mean, but they had ZERO work ethic, relying on the extra lessons and tutors to spoon feed them answers. And it will be a shock when Uni rocks around.
That's so bullshit. I hate when people bag out others and say tutoring is just a bunch of spoon feeding. Going tutoring and applying yourself to the lesson requires freaking god damn effort especially if it's right after school. Why not have a certified teacher who can help you beyond the normal school working hours? My parents aren't particularly wealthy btw and i really appreciated the extra lessons - cause hell they helped a lot. Tutors nowadays don't 'spoon feed you answers' rather they actually revise material and might teach you ahead.Just because you didn't go tutoring - don't apply stigmas, prejudices and generalisations because they are way off.

Thangquangtu

QUANG(*)
HSC
I was a bit disappointed when i got my atar back, in the 60's but my parents encouraged me to do whatever course i was interested in so its all good. UWS :)

Njn

nvrB♯nvrB♭.alwaysB♮
HSC
That's so bullshit. I hate when people bag out others and say tutoring is just a bunch of spoon feeding. Going tutoring and applying yourself to the lesson requires freaking god damn effort especially if it's right after school. Why not have a certified teacher who can help you beyond the normal school working hours? My parents aren't particularly wealthy btw and i really appreciated the extra lessons - cause hell they helped a lot. Tutors nowadays don't 'spoon feed you answers' rather they actually revise material and might teach you ahead.Just because you didn't go tutoring - don't apply stigmas, prejudices and generalisations because they are way off.
Not all tutors simply spoon feed you answers, yes I can agree to that. However I would also say that you yourself are also applying a generalisation; "tutors nowadays don't spoonfeed you answers"? There are actually both good and bad tutors out there, and I have had tutors a while back who overcharged just to teach me the quick methods to answering questions without truly trying to explain the concept to me.

However, I think the point that others are trying to make is that both teachers and private tutors will usually chase you up on anything; they are a motivation factor that can possibly help you to achieve higher than you would on your own - something that you might not have at uni.

copeys

HSC
Sorry if it came out wrong - I am speaking about the kids who do NOT believe in themselves and rely on tutors to pick up their slack. The ones who sit in class and go "I don't understand this, my tutor will tell me"

I can't wait to watch the people who told me they needed to fork out $100^/week to "study" and get a good mark
Now that I read it again, it really does make me sound like a douche. It isn't what I meant to say - people who rely on their tutors, not even teachers or other students, but go to their tutors for help on everything. These are the people who will studying more difficult in uni.

Don't get me wrong, I was going to get a tutor to help me out for english, but there were none available. That just made me work a hell of a lot dam harder in english, and I went from 15th to 3rd. Now, I've seen people with tutors whom they rely on drop rankings, and I am not joking either. It really depends on the student. Some will utilize their tutor effectively, others will find relief in the fact that they are paying money for "extra lessons" in which they sit there and get spoon fed.

Last edited:

Berin

HSC
Ugh i worked my absolute ass off for the hsc doing adv english, general maths, bio, earth and pe buttt right at the trials first i had swine flu in the 2 weeks before and the week before i had the trials i had a horse riding accident, fractured my skull and because i desperatly wanted to do better (even tho i couldnt concerntrate and was absolutely screwed) i decided to do my trials a week after i was meant to so i appealed and then i stuffed the trials despite studying my ass off got into the english forgot everything and was really really sick but kept my gob shut having too much pride trying to do well for my dad then for all the others i was stuck in hot loud rooms and i was having heaps of trouble with migraines and that frikken dizzy and sick the entire time but desperatly wanted to prove to my ever demanding family that i could do well... anyways so got my hsc marks back, one mark off band 5's for EVERYTHING and got the shittiest ATAR ever despite for example my class mark for gen maths was 91... earth 85 pe 87 and bio 89.... then for the hsc i was so stressed i was sick and stuffed it up... atar of 69.15, i cried...
sounds stupid but im so devo...

Freakstyler09

HSC
Ugh i worked my absolute ass off for the hsc doing adv english, general maths, bio, earth and pe buttt right at the trials first i had swine flu in the 2 weeks before and the week before i had the trials i had a horse riding accident, fractured my skull and because i desperatly wanted to do better (even tho i couldnt concerntrate and was absolutely screwed) i decided to do my trials a week after i was meant to so i appealed and then i stuffed the trials despite studying my ass off got into the english forgot everything and was really really sick but kept my gob shut having too much pride trying to do well for my dad then for all the others i was stuck in hot loud rooms and i was having heaps of trouble with migraines and that frikken dizzy and sick the entire time but desperatly wanted to prove to my ever demanding family that i could do well... anyways so got my hsc marks back, one mark off band 5's for EVERYTHING and got the shittiest ATAR ever despite for example my class mark for gen maths was 91... earth 85 pe 87 and bio 89.... then for the hsc i was so stressed i was sick and stuffed it up... atar of 69.15, i cried...
sounds stupid but im so devo...
the HSC is so unfair, may god help us all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)