• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Who hates right-wing (religious) conservatives? (1 Viewer)

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
you know, not much change at all except the fact that the president-elect had to be approved by 2/3 majority in parliament which is really dodgy.

i know i know, its a safeguard and its taken straight out of mein kampf where hitler reckoned the masses were sheep and had to be told what to do and who to elect. any half-wit with decent media manipulation skills could easily be voted in as president and god-king imperial of the free world under george w. bush but thats what probably gave most people the shits over voting for a republic.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Asquithian said:
Oh. A NSW young Liberal. Shouldn't you lobbying to outlaw abortion along with the hobbling of judges discretion because judges can't be trusted to deliever justice.

You make arguments in the area of torts that are certainly not conservative at all.

You do realise as being a young Liberal you should be arguing that negligence is TOO EASY TO PROVE and that peoples payouts are TOO HIGH and that they is why premiums are massive.

Not the otherway around.

--------

As for being a pro constitutional person, being a law student, I'm sure you are aware we are a republic in all but name.

The GG always been the last word in Australia. There were calls when Whitlam was dismissed to overrule the GG. She did not and her lawyers issued a statement was recognised Australian's virtual independance.

A republic would not change much at all. We are a republic in everyway except by name. There is no appeal to the Privy council and the Queen of Australia, even when she had has the oppotunity to overrule the GG, she has not. The statement given by her legal staff suggested that she has no responsibility at all to Australia and our political affairs.

I don't get the cerfuffle over the whole republic debate anyway. It would virtually remain unchanged. Would it be any different if we said we were a republic but called the the head of state the GG still?

It makes no difference. In terms of a republic a direct election model is faulted in that it would give the head of state elected power and hence supremacy over the parliament. The direct election model is a very poor model. But sadly a popular one.

I believe we are become a republic. Like everyother nation that was once at the teet of Britian. It seems that Australian was the only nation that has never wanted to leave the commonwealth and become truely independant.

In reality we could change our name to the republic of Australia and still in the constittuion have reference to the Queen of Australia.
Asquithian, if someone believes that abortion is murder... what kinda psychopath would they be to support it?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
I think that these evangelicals need to stop forcing their beliefs onto others, then everyone would be happier.

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
withoutaface said:
I think that these evangelicals need to stop forcing their beliefs onto others, then everyone would be happier.
just curious, how many christians have actually gone up to you and forced the bible down your throat?

and if it has happened, it wasnt me.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
blackfriday said:
just curious, how many christians have actually gone up to you and forced the bible down your throat?

and if it has happened, it wasnt me.
Plenty, I've had several people around train stations and even at my door force me to accept pamphlets just to make them go away. Spreading the Good News is one thing, but harrassing people who don't want to hear anything about it is quite another. I usually play along for a while then at the end tell them that they're preaching to the converted. Problem is that half the time that doesn't work because their denomination is apparently a better one.:)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Asquithian, may i meet this couple that "Cannot afford a child" ?

I know some girls that are complaining about how much their kid costs... meanwhile they're going out whenever they can, ordering take-away food, and spending too much money on pointless crap.

I'm not going to say it's not hard, just the truth is most people, especially in a country like australia... can afford a kid. Sure for richer families it's easier, but don't you think people should be made to take responsibility for their actions? If not a lifetime of responsibility i can't see why they they shouldn't at least be made to give birth (yes i understand it's not an easy experience giving birth) then put the baby up for adoption.

jennylim

HSC
hahaha...who IS a right-wing religious conservative? me! i find these things highly amusing, seeing as i'm a christian young liberal. to be honest i really don't give a damn one way or another, but i wish free speech could be respected by all...i allow the left to have their own misguided opinion...why the heck can't i have mine?

Jonathan A

HSC
blackfriday said:
omg i figured it all out! hillsong church is actually a cult set up by an offshoot of the liberal party in order to encourage the rise of conservatism and fake christianity in order to get heaps of votes.

remember kids, there are christians, then there are those who go to hillsong.

That's nice. Hillsong is based in London. The Liberals there are NOT conservatives, there is a Conservative party there that is aligned with the Liberals. Before you spurt out stupidity, do your research otherwise people will end up taking action against your false claims and accusations.

Remember kids, there are lefties, then are those who are just plain stupid.

Jonathan A

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Wow blackfriday u sure are insane, good luck with the next election.

I would like to run against him, wont take much if he researches off the back of a matchbox and reads "The Green Left"

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
i object to being called leftie and even more offended at being linked with the greens, im a proud Christian and i accept Jesus as my Lord and Saviour. hillsong church give us christians a bad name.

Jonathan A

HSC
Asquithian said:
Oh. A NSW young Liberal. Shouldn't you lobbying to outlaw abortion along with the hobbling of judges discretion because judges can't be trusted to deliever justice.

You make arguments in the area of torts that are certainly not conservative at all.

You do realise as being a young Liberal you should be arguing that negligence is TOO EASY TO PROVE and that peoples payouts are TOO HIGH and that they is why premiums are massive.

Not the otherway around.

--------

As for being a pro constitutional person, being a law student, I'm sure you are aware we are a republic in all but name.

The GG always been the last word in Australia. There were calls when Whitlam was dismissed to overrule the GG. She did not and her lawyers issued a statement was recognised Australian's virtual independance.

A republic would not change much at all. We are a republic in everyway except by name. There is no appeal to the Privy council and the Queen of Australia, even when she had has the oppotunity to overrule the GG, she has not. The statement given by her legal staff suggested that she has no responsibility at all to Australia and our political affairs.

I don't get the cerfuffle over the whole republic debate anyway. It would virtually remain unchanged. Would it be any different if we said we were a republic but called the the head of state the GG still?

It makes no difference. In terms of a republic a direct election model is faulted in that it would give the head of state elected power and hence supremacy over the parliament. The direct election model is a very poor model. But sadly a popular one.

I believe we are become a republic. Like everyother nation that was once at the teet of Britian. It seems that Australian was the only nation that has never wanted to leave the commonwealth and become truely independant.

In reality we could change our name to the republic of Australia and still in the constittuion have reference to the Queen of Australia.

I am a Conservative, through and through. I believe in what the Law says, I believe in what judges say and I believe that an ineffective government can allow the law to get out of hand as seen in many cases in NSW. I want judges to have power. I am conservative who believes that things should be left the same unless they need fixing. There is no need to fox the law of torts apart from some obvious adjustments to the offshoots. I don't believe in rolling over to cheap-journo pressure.

I know many liberals (conservative as well) who don't like Carr's changes to torts law, and that may also include the changes proposed by some NSW Liberals (who may I add aren't from the conservative faction many of them).

I agree with you on the Constitution - you are right and I like your legal arguments.

Jonathan A

HSC
jennylim said:
hahaha...who IS a right-wing religious conservative? me! i find these things highly amusing, seeing as i'm a christian young liberal. to be honest i really don't give a damn one way or another, but i wish free speech could be respected by all...i allow the left to have their own misguided opinion...why the heck can't i have mine?

Good to hear!!

Jonathan A

HSC
Asquithian said:
I don't think there is a moderate on the front bench of the NSW liberals.

You are quite a knowledgable person, however if only you knew what I knew about the NSW Liberals. If you read John Brogden's maiden speech you would wonder if this former ALP member was actually a liberal, he actually states that you wouldn't see him a member of the liberal party.

That's coming from a member who is an executive on the old Branch Brogden used to be apart of and the Electoral branch that 'created' factionalism in the party - if you wanna put it that way as some would.

Last edited:

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I do agree that in some ways bob carr is fairly right-wing.
Truth is tho, u have to move to the right in our country at the moment to win elections, these days it's not about being moderate.. ie; john howard didn't have to move to the left to win the last election, however to have had a chance labor had to move to the right.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
I recommend reading 'Case against capital" if you really do believe that capitalism only works by influencing peoples selfishness, greed & exploitation.

Why don't u trust people to make the right decisions with their money Asquithian?
Heaps of people have brought into private health insurance... heaps of people buy into private education, seriously u must admit some people would still even if we didn't have this public buy these things.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Some would, some wouldn't... think about how much most parents invest in their kids educations now, even if they go to a public school.
But that's because people feel that they can best decide what they want from their hard earned dollars...

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
of course, that's why our current system is fine... we have the public system which offers a good quality education. But if you're willing to pay a bit more you get the same quality education, but in a more comfortable way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)