Who thinks the HSC is unfair? (1 Viewer)

philphie

Banned
HSC
i'm talking about the hsc here not anything beyond that. of course i'm aware quotes aren't all that. i've already expressed my concerns on how fail English and other humanity subjects are taught in the hsc

1337z4u12

HSC
obviously not study guides allowed... but clean copys of the text you have studied. I agree that English in the HSC is bullshit... its more of a focus on manipulating and twisting questions rather than applying related evidence from a text.

1337z4u12

HSC
obviously not study guides allowed... but clean copys of the text you have studied. I agree that English in the HSC is bullshit... its more of a focus on manipulating and twisting questions rather than applying related evidence from a text.
again for the record im not having a bitch and a moan (not that there is any point anyway seeing as im done); i was ranked 1st in english. I still think its a pretty dumb old fashioned system

noelknows

HSC
I lived in the ACT and started the college system there. ATAR is calculated over both year 11 and year 12. I moved, and started the HSC; so i can compare at least with first hand experience the two systems.

The HSC is quite a old fashioned system - highly rewards "academic" subjects such as Mathematics and Chemistry for example (fyi i did these subjects in my hsc). Including the HSC exams and all the internal exams, almost all of ATAR calculation, in the end, is exam based.

To sum up briefly, in the ACT students in the eqivelent maths course to 2 unit were allowed graphics calculators, texts are allowed in exams, and since the both 11 and 12 'count' there is more scope for stuffing up in a exam, and you get alot more free peroids. Whether you like it or not, that system rewards "applied" knowledge rather than memorising.

Essentially i belive that the HSC rewards students who excel in traditional "academic" subjects; holding the stigma attached to creative subjects. In other words, intelligence is perceived as Maths and Science, not Arts.

In any case, i believe it IS unfair that completely different systems (in my case NSW and ACT) still are considered in the same pool of students for ATAR ranks. Rather ironic that there are all the measures in place for cheating, checking, exam protocol, when there is such inconstancy at the base of the system.

For the record - 86.25
Are you on drugs? And what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

1337z4u12

HSC
Are you on drugs? And what exactly is the point you're trying to make?

1. that the hsc is a old fashioned system
2. including students students in the same ATAR pool who do different state systems discredits the consistency of the hsc.

broskies1

Bachelor Law/Arts
HSC
Yeah i for one think the system is VERY UNFAIR. Then again im happy i got into Law/arts this year:D . But overal this system lacks transparency and is over shadowed but unclear and complex systems which in turn fuck over the student. I got 89 in Polish continuers had a scaling value of zero =='' i was furious! lucky my other subjects saved my ass and a whole lot of help from God.

why cant the system have simple and clear scaling allocations? You get over a certain band u get scaled by that much no matter how many ppl get into that band. Or just get the average of all yur HSC marks and bingo thats your atar.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
Yeah i for one think the system is VERY UNFAIR. Then again im happy i got into Law/arts this year:D . But overal this system lacks transparency and is over shadowed but unclear and complex systems which in turn fuck over the student. I got 89 in Polish continuers had a scaling value of zero =='' i was furious! lucky my other subjects saved my ass and a whole lot of help from God.

why cant the system have simple and clear scaling allocations? You get over a certain band u get scaled by that much no matter how many ppl get into that band. Or just get the average of all yur HSC marks and bingo thats your atar.
idiocy at it's best.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Yeah i for one think the system is VERY UNFAIR. Then again im happy i got into Law/arts this year . But overal this system lacks transparency and is over shadowed but unclear and complex systems which in turn fuck over the student. I got 89 in Polish continuers had a scaling value of zero =='' i was furious! lucky my other subjects saved my ass and a whole lot of help from God.

God help everyone the day they start doing this.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I'm not even going to -begin- telling you the flaws in that statement.

piotr

HSC
N/A
hahaha it was just a general statement , dont get your pindick in a twist you dolt. The point is this system has clearly has flaws. Idioicy at its best? hmm and what course did you get into? that's what i thought. 96+ atar. Law/arts Usyd 2010.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
The point is this system has clearly has flaws.
That I agree with. Doesn't take away from the fact that your system is fundamentally flawed, and most certainly doesn't mean that your system is any better.

Idioicy at its best? hmm and what course did you get into? that's what i thought. 96+ atar. Law/arts Usyd 2010.
Just because you got into Arts/Law doesn't mean that you're 'smart'. Besides which, in terms of ATAR, you'd be one of the kids with the lowest ATAR doing Arts/Law.

broskies1

Bachelor Law/Arts
HSC
Congratulations on getting in Combined Law at Usyd , parents must be proud :D

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
Life is unfair, cancer is unfair, the HSC is unfair. Deal with it.

Schoey93

HSC
I'm not even going to -begin- telling you the flaws in that statement.
Agreed, the statement is void. The average of all your aligned marks would make ATARs very high. Perhaps we could take the average of raw marks and then adjust the result based on the average results for each of the candidate's subjects, e.g. if 60% of people scored above 75% in General Mathematics and the candidate scored 90, he loses a few ATAR points due to the course results being good all around.

This system probably wouldn't work that well, would it? I'm not sure. I would be happy to have the current system modified a little: raw marks are listed on the HSC record of achievement, but for your HSC Internal Assessment Mark you receive your rank and the HSC External Examination mark from your class' results that corresponds to your rank.

E.g.

Biology: 3rd-90%, 94%, 92%

Then scaling is done on your raw final HSC marks and you receive your scaled marks, aggregate and ATAR without having to apply for them through UAC.

cutemouse

Account Closed
HSC
N/A
lol, I would've gotten about 88 if the ATAR was simply an average of all my HSC results. Which is wrong by quite a bit.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Which doesn't automatically suggest that he/she would be at a disadvantage in a uni environment.
Never said he would be. I'm just saying that he shouldn't be flaunting it around like a badge he won on camp night.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
hahaha it was just a general statement , dont get your pindick in a twist you dolt. The point is this system has clearly has flaws. Idioicy at its best? hmm and what course did you get into? that's what i thought. 96+ atar. Law/arts Usyd 2010.
Lol wow you think cause you got 96+ ATAR you're smart? Go back to your shitty law degree you unimaginative, pretentious parasite.

It's good you're in Usyd though, you'll fit in quite well.

broskies1

Bachelor Law/Arts
HSC
wow , so much hate on these forums o_O'' why can't people discuss the actual thread, instead of bagging the shit out of eachother? Yeah my comment before about creating a newer HSC format were obviously a bit cynical and OBVIOUSLY unrealistic. As said before , this system is unfair and we have to deal with it. Unless someone here has the money and the connections to actually create some sort of laws / have influence to change these educational institutions around. Obviously this subject is very touchy to many students.

I feel sorry for everyone who did the HSC last year and beyond. Lucky there are alternate pathways out there.

Maybe with time this country will stop being so backwards in education. Anyone who has studied in Europe or Asia will most probably agree.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)