WhoA! (1 Viewer)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
It was the hardest test, compared with all the past papers I've done. If only it was this hard for 4unit...
Agreed ...

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Um ... is it possible to find 7b a *slightly* diffrent way. I let x = n + 1 (or something) and took it from there ....

No, I'm just wrong, arn't I?

PS: "RELITIVLY" 3U harder than 4U ...

nakata

well, i think for 7bii) there could be other answers
spice girls one could be the most simplest
mine was just derived without integration or wateva, and i got a value in terms of n. whether or not it is the 'simplest' expression, thats impossible to tell. so, im not sure wheter the BOS is goin to accept jus one, like the simplest one, or just any expression which is 'simplest' relative to the sum of that equation.===> it did say as 'a simple expression', not simplest.

ezza

is it just me or are all of you guys extremely smart?

maybe its cause i goto a public school, but everyone in my class reckons they got no more than 41/82

only the 2 4u students reckon they got 60+/82

Ahh well this is the a study website, so i guess most of u are smarter compared to most people in the state

Lugia

ARRRRR the inequality in Q 6 was so easy! I figured it out as we were waiting for the papers to be corrected. How bad was that?! I was like sitting there, REALLY REALLY wanting to write it down...but those evil examiners were looking at everyone.. :( :chainsaw:
And I can't get ANY of the binomial question!
Hopefully I've got 75/84 if I didn't make any silly mistakes...And could have got 78/84 if I thought of what to do 5 minutes ealier.

I reckon 4 u was easier, i mean you would expect not to be able to do those last questions (which was what actually happened anyway) but not with 3 u. aaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

And my friends who couldn't do the 4 u questions that I worked out can do the 3 u ones that I couldn't! not fair! :mad:

drolle

Originally posted by ezza
is it just me or are all of you guys extremely smart?

maybe its cause i goto a public school, but everyone in my class reckons they got no more than 41/82
Yeah it seems to me that most of the people who post on these boards are in the top 10% or so... I used to think I did really well in my exams, until I came on here and half the people did better than me.

I'm still in hopes of a high uai, so I'm going to hope that all the rest of the state isn't as smart as the people on this board :)

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by drolle

Yeah it seems to me that most of the people who post on these boards are in the top 10% or so... I used to think I did really well in my exams, until I came on here and half the people did better than me.

I'm still in hopes of a high uai, so I'm going to hope that all the rest of the state isn't as smart as the people on this board :)
Sorry, I go to a Selective High (Caringbah).

I know a lot of people here go to private schools or selective schools, so they could be considered "smart".

Don't stress, if you feel that were all smart at least your honest about your ability, and probably prepared to cope with a slightly lower UAI. I pity those who will panic with anything under 99.00

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I think some it's t because we've got the guts to sit here and waste time chatting :D. And we can 'help' each other to a better mark.

Don't worry, the rest of the state won't be so skilled. BOS would've had to make the exams much harder for that (they get a clue with our SC) to maximise the range for scaling.

kaseita

yea, I doubt the rest of the state is as good as us :D

but then again, maybe we're too optimistic. why else would we be on here anyway, chatting away about trivial stuff and proving ourselves wrong?

they even look at the SC? as if anyone would try at all in that, surely they know that?

sleepy

sigh

i came out of the exam thinking i did pretty well,
went home and found i lost 26 marks..... so pissed off!!!

i made so many stupid mistakes
eg i didnt see the word "round" for the probability...

my max is gonna be 58/84?

any hope of band 6?

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Originally posted by kaseita
yea, I doubt the rest of the state is as good as us :D

but then again, maybe we're too optimistic. why else would we be on here anyway, chatting away about trivial stuff and proving ourselves wrong?

they even look at the SC? as if anyone would try at all in that, surely they know that?
I think they do... I've read in the UAI scaling somewhere that they compare it to 'what everyone would've got if all year 10 studetns had completed the HSC'.. or some statement to that effect....

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack

I think they do... I've read in the UAI scaling somewhere that they compare it to 'what everyone would've got if all year 10 studetns had completed the HSC'.. or some statement to that effect....
Yes, don't quite know how they do that ...

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
Originally posted by BlackJack

I think it's got something to do with them shoving all the people who left school after year 10 in the bottom percentile range to bump everyone else up. This is due to the fact that with the new standards-based marking scheme, only about 10% people get below 50 in their subjects, significantly less than the 'bell curve' percentages of the old HSC, and hence the HSC averages get bumped up.

So people who got 60s in the old HSC would have gotten between 70 and 80 last year for their subjects. But the UAI is still a ranking, so it would have been comparatively 'lower' than what the marks seemed to vouch for, which is why so many people were disappointed.

I say putting all the people who left school in a <50 percentile will not hurt the rest of us :)

Bob

well i got to the same school as blackjack and mclake. and if i guess right both of them are in my maths class :]
sounds like you went ok guys.

i found this test about on par to the 3unit papers i'd done before. i've done the test twice now. (i did it again when i got home) and so far i found i dropped the one mark. on the last question because i didn't integrate my first constant when i integrated for the 2nd time so my 2nd constant is wrong.
i do agree with the 1/(n+2) answer. (so unlucky :()

there were some tricky parts in this exam for sure.

the question that has caused most trouble with people i've been talking to is 7 a iii.
its a bit of a bitch.

but i wouldn't have called this test much harder than the previous ones. nor would i have called the 4 unit test easy. i think anyone that walks out of a test raving about how easy a 4 unit test is is either:
a) a wanker
b) shouldn't be doing 4 unit because they got them all wrong.

but yeah most people i've spoken to (at a selective school) as estimating their marks at above 70/84
most likely above 75.
and in theory they are supposed to be around near the top 10% of the state. so if you bombed out here and there i wouldn't be particularly concerned because everyone else did too. even the "nerds"

Bob

oh one more thing i forgot to mention.
in question 7 a iii
did everyone else get

y = -ln([x+ root(x^2 - 4)]/2)

the negative at the beginning being the important part.
i added it after i'd done the question because i figured its the only way i could make the inverse fuction be negative. (as mine was in the graph. unless i screwed that up?)

i figured multiplying by e^y introduced invalid solutions?

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
Originally posted by Bob
oh one more thing i forgot to mention.
in question 7 a iii
did everyone else get

y = -ln([x+ root(x^2 - 4)]/2)

the negative at the beginning being the important part.
i added it after i'd done the question because i figured its the only way i could make the inverse fuction be negative. (as mine was in the graph. unless i screwed that up?)

i figured multiplying by e^y introduced invalid solutions?
Worked it out last night... got
y = ln([x- root(x^2 - 4)]/2)
Which is equivalent to your expression... checked it on a graph calc.
Multiplied e^x for all terms and quadratic...???
For the +- parts.... since y is negative, it must be minus for the numerator to be smaller than the denominator...

Last edited:

Raser

Waitara.... Station below hornsby and above Chastw
i think i got every question right except for part 7bii
i had 0 for that but it said something about in terms of n so i think it might be wrong
and i finished the whole thing in 90minutes =P
but i spent the rest of the 30 minutes trying to figure out why there wasn't a "n" in my answer.... so i didn't get to check all my answers......

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)