Why are sciences and mathematics scaled so well? (1 Viewer)

Freakstyler09

HSC
As i've said before:

"So let me get this straight. You want everyone to do the same subjects ie english, maths, science, history and geography.

All the maths kids would be disadvanataged by english, history and geography whereas all the english kids would only be disavanataged by maths and science. That's an unfair system whereby one side is disavantaged by 3 subjects and the other two.

In short, you want to revert back to the SC system where one could walk into the exams with study and come out with all band 6s. Right..."

Not only is that a stupid idea but that defeats the purpose of students being able to choose subjects that will help them in tertiary education if they choose to undertake it.

Oh how i wish i could rep you. Congrats on your 3rd bar :)
Was that what I said Anna ? hmmm...pay attention please

Freakstyler09

HSC
Oh well, that's it I quit this thread, it's getting boring, all I am going to say now, is that we're all in the same boat and despite the stupid cirriculums that are imposed on us by the government, all we should care about eventually is our marks. :rofl2:

jet

Banned
HSC
Lol, a lot has been going on. It won't really affect us, but the whole point of ATAR and the NAPLAN is to provide consistency - by having people go through to year 11/12 (thanks to the new leaving age) - they can use the results from those tests to make things more consistent.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Get back to your bloody cramming for MX1 Anna! >_< lol

You love to argue :p
Yeah, i haven't had a good argument in a long time and thanks for the reminder.

I'm going to attempt to not go on BoS again after lunch so i can actually do some study XD

Was that what I said Anna ? hmmm...pay attention please
You said you wanted a system where everyone does the same basic subjects, i simply equated to the year 10 SC system where everyone was tested on the same, basic subjects.

Who should be paying attention now? ;)

Oh well, that's it I quit this thread, it's getting boring, all I am going to say now, is that we're all in the same boat and despite the stupid cirriculums that are imposed on us by the government, all we should care about eventually is our marks.
Aww and here i was going to mention the people who aren't good at english/maths/science but are pro at skills subjects such as DnT and VA. I guess my fun is over *sighs

Lol, a lot has been going on. It won't really affect us, but the whole point of ATAR and the NAPLAN is to provide consistency - by having people go through to year 11/12 (thanks to the new leaving age) - they can use the results from those tests to make things more consistent.
True, true. I doubt they'll ever change the scaling system though as it's the only way you can really compare marks in different subjects right now.

jet

Banned
HSC
True, true. I doubt they'll ever change the scaling system though as it's the only way you can really compare marks in different subjects right now.
Exactly + 1. The people who don't want scaling live in a perfect world without competition and demand for careers.

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Although scaling is by far the fairest solution there is at the moment, it's not perfect.
The scaling of a subject is dependent on how well that cohort does in every other subject. Take 4u maths as an example. Nearly everyone does really crap in the test (low raw marks) but since most of them do well in other subjects, the subject is scaled up.
But that's not fair to the artsy subjects. I'm pretty sure very few of us would be able to score well in Visual Arts or Dance or whatever, but we're lucky to be good at good scaling subjects. People that are good in those subjects are unlucky since it has low scaling 'cause the cohort isn't good in other subjects (ie. english). And then they actually have to top their subjects to get a good ATAR, which is too hard etc. etc.
In the end, you just have to live with it.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Although scaling is by far the fairest solution there is at the moment, it's not perfect.
The scaling of a subject is dependent on how well that cohort does in every other subject. Take 4u maths as an example. Nearly everyone does really crap in the test (low raw marks) but since most of them do well in other subjects, the subject is scaled up.
But that's not fair to the artsy subjects. I'm pretty sure very few of us would be able to score well in Visual Arts or Dance or whatever, but we're lucky to be good at good scaling subjects. People that are good in those subjects are unlucky since it has low scaling 'cause the cohort isn't good in other subjects (ie. english). And then they actually have to top their subjects to get a good ATAR, which is too hard etc. etc.
In the end, you just have to live with it.
You certainly worded that in the most politically correct and fair manner possible ^_^. Well done.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i find it pretty insulting that some of you dare put arts and humanities on par with science/math.

Last edited:

Uncle

Banned
HSC
I think engineering and the sciences, especially Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics should be sacred.
Scientists, engineers and doctors should be considered sacred gods amongst society for they bring their plans and designs to fruition and real existence and maintained and gave us this better standard of living the arts and humanities people also take advantage of.
Scientists, engineers and doctors are the true gods.

Problems that the arts and humanities people consider impossible, the godly scientists and engineers are quite able to solve.

This is why the HSC sciences and mathematics have many students who are superior in quality hence this is reflected by the potential of higher marks.
No need for a debate.

sorry guys ^_^

I do and am XD
Excellent. >=)

The fields of science are VERY important to the way we live... For without engineers and scientists where will you get your medicine and what will you let alone walk into to get the medicine without people to build/design things.
My goodness I salute!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I think engineering and the sciences, especially Mathematics, Chemistry and Physics should be sacred.
Scientists, engineers and doctors should be considered sacred gods amongst society for they bring their plans and designs to fruition and real existence and maintained and gave us this better standard of living the arts and humanities people also take advantage of.
Scientists, engineers and doctors are the true gods.

Problems that the arts and humanities people consider impossible, the godly scientists and engineers are quite able to solve.

This is why the HSC sciences and mathematics have many students who are superior in quality hence this is reflected by the potential of higher marks.
No need for a debate.

sorry guys ^_^

Excellent. >=)

My goodness I salute!
This is why I <3 you! Scientists, Engineers and Mathematicians bloody rule!

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I'm not sure if this has been said before, because I CBF'd reading the entire thread, but perhaps, shock, one of the reasons that the sciences/maths scale so well is because they're friggin difficult.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not sure if this has been said before, because I CBF'd reading the entire thread, but perhaps, shock, one of the reasons that the sciences/maths scale so well is because they're friggin difficult.
Certainly are! Haha (although not how scaling works... It might as bloody well be).

Clifford

HSC
I read the start of this then skipped everything because it got boring, but I did dip into the scaling report and if you look, humanities (apparently) aren't being as hard done by as people would suggest. Rank the top 10 subjects ascaled mean whatever) excluding languages, because that would be heck tedious. This according to 2008

1. Maths Extension 2 - 44.5 (Elite maths)
2. Maths Extension 1 - 40
3. English Extension 2 - 36.5 (Elite English)
4. English Extension 1 - 36.3
5. Music Extension - 34.2
6. History Extension - 33.9 :)o)
7. Music 2 - 32.3 (what?)
8. Chemistry - 31.6 - coming in pretty low for the pro science option
9. English Advanced - 31.3
10. Economics - 30.7

Physics isn't even top 10 (Well, it's number 11, so it's not as bad as it sounds)

So this whole thing should be put to rest, as although extension maths cleans up, English, extension history and Music clean up the sciences.

So I guess they don't really scale worse. Very suprising.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)