why did you chose the degree you are doing? (1 Viewer)

Cab31

HSC
Mainly coz it pays well. Man i hate a lot of the subjects i do though....Sigh

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
I do actuarial because its one of the most exciting degrees available...who could resist thhe maths, stats, economics etc. all part of the degree...

honestly though, i made my decision based on career prospects...i want to move into IB, and actuarial sounded like a good way of getting into it...well i was kind of wrong :p but it still has very good career prospects...plus i also like maths and finance, so actuarial was a logical choice for me...

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
i chose my degree because music was something ive always had a flair for, and being self taught and getting a scholarship with the conservatorium of music just validates and encourages me more to do my best.

i don't know if i'll revolve around music after my degree, it would certainly be in my life, but i'm young and i'll have other opportunities if music doesnt (and highly likely) promise an income.

Serious Performance
HSC
N/A
Supra said:
i want to move into IB, and actuarial sounded like a good way of getting into it...well i was kind of wrong :p
lol, *golf claps*

Sometimes i actually wish i could do actuarial, I do love all that high-level mathsy type stuff.

jellybeenz

HSC
I liked English and History at school- so bang, Arts degree was the next logical step. I also lack direction and dislike work.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Sarah168 said:
yeah, cos unless you're doing something liek visual arts or music, you have no passion for what you're doing and you're just in a line up of mindless drones in the university system :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Wow. He was merely pointing out that many students are more likely to take such a degree than any other if they are forced into studying something by their parents (it's a generalisation that few would dispute). There's no need to cry if you happen to be taking a vocationalised degree, because he wasn't criticising such degrees or their students.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
011 said:
lol, *golf claps*

Sometimes i actually wish i could do actuarial, I do love all that high-level mathsy type stuff.
lol and sometimes i wish i could do law :p
I would have enjoyed com/law better, and personally i think im more suited to com/law, if i had the choice again, i would have done commerce at nsw and transferred into combined law or something (as i got 97.45 and not the reuired 99+)
but now i just want to get through actuarial...and hopefully think of some sort of post grad law if thats even possible...

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
Supra said:
but now i just want to get through actuarial...and hopefully think of some sort of post grad law if thats even possible...
My sister does graduate law. At UNSW though, not at MQ.

I enjoy learning foreign languages, it's like the only thing I'm decent at...so I chose Commerce haha. Double major in a language and something else. They complement each other anyway, and it might lead to opportunities overseas. So it's all good.

Although it gets a bit tiresome having to always explain that I don't do comm/arts

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Komaticom said:
I can't comprehend how anyone can opt to do 15 years of uni, on top of the 13 years spent in primary/high school. Congratulations, you've graduated and you're pushing 30. Have a nice life.
Some people just enjoy learning. It doesn't mean you can't work at the same time.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
klh said:
er...may i ask how long have you been at uni for, with all those changes?
thats alot of changes...do you mean 4 degree changes as in the 2 double degrees?
im sorta on the brink of restarting again, but maybe not.
What year is... when you add and carry the 1...this is year number 4. :D

I changed from Pysch/Law to Commerce/Law to Commerce to Commerce/Arts

The changes haven't impacted hugely except for a few more semesters of uni. A minor problem considering that I'm now doing something I thoroughly enjoy.

A lot of subjects that I chose to start off with happened to be ones which could be counted as credit towards other degrees and majors... the fact i've been doing Commerce for a while allowed me to focus on completing core commerce subjects meaning that I was actually completing part of a degree. The other subjects that I've done I'm simply using as elective subjects so they still count.

So a 4.5 year degree structure will most likely end up a 6 year degree structure.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Someone told me there were heaps of hot chicks that do engineering.

In hindsight, I think that guy was gay.

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
withoutaface said:
Not many, but those that are there are pure quality.
I noticed that the other night at the UOW Unibar when I was talking to not just one attractive female mining engineering student, BUT TWO!!!!

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
withoutaface said:
Not many, but those that are there are pure quality.
There's a couple in civil, chem and enviro, but the other strands only have fuglies and boys.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Yeah I'd agree that the elec and aeromech streams run pretty dry.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I woke up one day and accidently found myself well into some double degree, and then thought "might as well finish it off". *Shrugs* Maybe the next time I wake up, I'll find myself almost finished with some other qualification. =p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)