why did you chose the degree you are doing? (1 Viewer)

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
start of yr 11 i wanted to be an accountant. mainly because i was doing it at tafe and was kicking arse, but i soon realised that i had too much of a personality and wasnt nearly as boring as is required to be a professional accountant

ok i lie. i stopped wanting to be an accountant start of yr 12 as it was getting rather boring, and once KMPG rejected me i knew it was a sign ... i was destined to greater things!

so as i flicked through the UAC book, i noticed MQ was offering hrm as a new course in 05. it sounded so cool and i picked it. but it wasnt meant to be, i missed the uai cutoff by .3!!! so the fairy tale ends after i transferred last semester, after needing to pass all my units

im worried about finding a job though. accounting would of been safer in regards to finding a job, but oh well wait and see

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
natstar said:
omg!!111 We are not all like you and have no sense of humour, so don't talk as if we are. And what makes you think I dont like studying?
Anyway, if you carefully looked at what i said, you would see that I was not serious, and just joking- you kno- "lol"
I tried reading that. I really did. It just wasn't meant to be.
I should drop out of Japanese, I'm obviously not meant to be a linguist. I can't begin to understand things when they're written like the writer tripped over in Cambodia and hit her head on a land mine. Maybe one day there will be subjects in various universities teaching us how to read and write like complete morons. Not now though. :)

Computing isn't nearly as boring as everybody thinks. I think it's really fun. Also, maths is quite fun. Do mathematics, everyone. :)

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
poloktim said:
Computing isn't nearly as boring as everybody thinks. I think it's really fun. Also, maths is quite fun. Do mathematics, everyone. :)
Totally agree. Hence the transfer to comp science/pure maths next year @ unsw :)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
acmilan said:
Totally agree. Hence the transfer to comp science/pure maths next year @ unsw :)
...Maths. Is. Fun...?!... :|

I was about to say : don't you feel that a life of Maths is wasted? But, thinking back on all the good it's done for society - engineering, computers etc, compared to English - essays, annoying movie reviewers, I'm inclined to finally see that Maths > Arts(English)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
b commerce (liberal studies) Cos I wasn't sure of a career yet and wanted to be able to try alot of things...also, abit because i had the uai (which i never expected) so i went for it. also, because i wanted to study things like economics whilst also being able to do history (which i have loved since high school) and other 'interest' subjects

now, wanting to move into economics specifically, i might head into a b ec degree

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
natstar said:
Are you putting off life lol. Thats like a guy i know at uni who's doing his 3rd MBA, cuz he likes to study and doesent want to get a job and his father is paying

I don't get people who do that - I can't wait for my 3 years to be up so I can go back to working full time. I'm so sick of waiting, I've gotten a job as an AIN in Sydney.

oh and im doing my course to be an RN, oddly enough.

Last edited:

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
I like learning things and being a school/uni environment so I tend to think I would like to be a student for as long as possible...But yes, I do have days of "Fuck, when is my degree gonna finish. I wanna get out of this stupid place..." Those moments usually happen when I'm in the middle of a 2 hour history lecture :p otherwise, I'm fine lol

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I chose mine (after much deliberation jumping around from pharmacy, speech pathology, liberal arts and everything in between) because I wanted to do an arts degree that had a vocational outcome of some sort, and I was interested in being a journalist because I enjoy writing.

I don't regret my choice.... I mean, everyone has those "did I pick the right course" days, but for me they are few and far between so yeah. I want to work as a journalist, at least while I am young... then maybe I will work as a teacher in a high school or university when I am older. I do want to study more though, probably law, business or a dip ed. Maybe a couple of them. I like what LeftrightOut is doing, I would like to study some postgrad courses while I am working when I finish this degree.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I wanted to do an arts degree mainly so I could indulge myself in studying the humanities purely out of interest. But I wanted a degree with a focused outcome as well. Media sounded interesting. I study both broadcast media and new media, with particular emphasis on the latter. I'm not sure what I want to do when I'm finished. I'm enjoying working with digital animation at the moment, but we'll see.

I do have my days where I wonder "what if I'd done such-and-such instead", but ultimately I enjoy studying media comm. It's a fantastic field that I didn't really know anything about prior.

Last edited:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
I thought doing a combined degree would give me a range of options and meet my interest in Commerce, the humanities/social sciences and sciences. Also the ability to major in 3 different areas was also attractive.

It has but also it's shown me that I do have a strong interest in some areas and unfortunately, doing a combined degree restricts the number of credit points i can do in that certain area.

Another reason I guess are the career opportunities.

HSC
N/A
Got the hell out of Sydney for a break... now I'm working hard to get back up there cos I've discovered I hate the cold in Melbourne!

Doing a Bachelor of Arts which was effectively all I wanted to do after giving up the idea of teaching full time. Just came down to finding somewhere i could do my favourite subjects in one course... so now, Sociology (Policy Studies) and Literary Studies are my majors and Professional Writing is my elective. Very exciting. I quite like it, anything else I would have sucked at big time.

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
Lundy said:
I wanted to do an arts degree mainly so I could indulge myself in studying the humanities purely out of interest. But I wanted a degree with a focused outcome as well. Media sounded interesting. I study both broadcast media and new media, with particular emphasis on the latter. I'm not sure what I want to do when I'm finished. I'm enjoying working with digital animation at the moment, but we'll see.

I do have my days where I wonder "what if I'd done such-and-such instead", but ultimately I enjoy studying media comm. It's a fantastic field that I didn't really know anything about prior.
What does new media include? Is there a lot on blogging?

HSC
Computing was the only thing that really interested me, and I don't find the elitist pencil-dick comp sci attitude terribly appealing, so I decided that B. Info and Comm Tech was a happy compromise. I'm not particularly satisfied with some parts of my degree, but on the other hand I can't think of anything else that sounds remotely worthwhile, so we'll see how it goes.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Gavrillo said:
What does new media include? Is there a lot on blogging?
New media is a really broad term but basically encompasses any recently emerged media form that is based on information technology. e.g. the internet, video games, digital photography/video/animation/sound, dvd, multimedia, etc etc.

The school now makes us keep blogs for each class we do. I'd show you my multimedia production blog but there's nothing in it yet :p

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
I chose my degree cause I want to change the world, so I thought I'd start with the young ones

X

xeuyrawp

LeftrightOut said:
Chose my first degree (B.CompSci) because I liked computers, found out I hated the science of computers so switched to a BInfoTech and got the hell out of town (graduated).
Second piece of paper was for work (GradDipVocEd).
Third was for a bit of a laugh (MOE).
Next one will be in case I decide to go teach english overseas (MAppLing) and one to have another bit of a laugh (MArts).
Then i'll probably do one for fun (MIT) and another for a bit of a laugh just to say I have one (BArts).
Then I might actually do one to increase my job prospects (MBA).
Finally a PhD in there somewhere would be a laugh too and a DBA or DEd.

All up around 10 pieces of paper, only 7 to go, should take me 5 or so years.

I haven't found a piece of paper that really takes my fancy yet so I will just keep trying different ones. The prices are quite reasonable so why not.
So you want to do 15 more years (conservative estimate based on full-time attendence) of uni just for a laugh, but then decide to knuckle down and get an MBA, change your career path from a teacher to a businessman and earn some real money? By this time, you'll have three doctorates, three masters, a bachelor's, and a diploma?

Last edited by a moderator:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Why not, PwarYuex?

I wanted to study a particular major, yet I didn't feel like commuting to UNSW each day. Add to that the realisation that I could quite easily add on a BA for the sake of personal interest and that I didn't really consider the fact that I could have studied the major within a 'better' degree (in terms of my current interests), and you should be able to see why I'm currently enrolled in this generalist programme (BSc, BA, as noted in my signature).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)