• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Why does my laptop's battery only last for 3.5 minutes? And how should I fix it? (1 Viewer)

Boxes

Banned
HSC
So I pull my lappy out of charge, and 3.5 minutes later, it's warning me that I'm running low on battery.

Do I need to buy a new battery? Or can I fix this problem.

thanks guys.

xx

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
Well it depend's. there is no way to fix a battery normally, if it has been getting worse and worse over time, then it is normal. Battery's have a limited charge cycle

SnowFox

Premium Member
HSC
Depending on the manufacturer, the manufacturing date and battery type, you MIGHT be able to get a new battery.

Failing that, congratulations, you have a desktop laptop!

Sonata

HSC
lol i got a laptop that has terrible battery life, i think it lasts for around 3minz? i dont think its repairable, time to get a new battery

AnandDNA

HSC
it ran out in January.

maybe i can threaten them into giving me a new one?
oh
well i guess you'll just have to buy a new battery. A laptop running on battery for 3 mins isn't really doing its purpose then anyway! how much would a replacement battery cost around for your laptop??

AnandDNA

HSC
fkkkk :( um dw hopefully you got the $950 stimulus thing. use that or else use your parent's stimulus bonus. And if they've spent it all, then im sorry for your loss :(

nisseltaria

HSC
Try charging it fully and then detaching the power supply and letting it run down fully as often as is practical for a few days/weeks (depending on your patience level). There is a chance that this could slightly improve the battery life. There is also a chance that the battery is screwed - talk to a real life computer repairs person about the cost of a replacement, they sometimes have spares from trade-ins.

I have been in both situations, though the one which wouldn't charge beyond 5 minutes ever was made that way without a warrantee (but free & legal).

Jayy-StaRawr

HSC
well its usually due to over charging ur battery like lets say
your using your laptop at home but you constantly have the power plug in thats over charging it it causes the battery life to fluctuate and eventually it'll just shorten and then stop working unless it has a constant power supply.
its very much so like mobile phones if you keep your phone plugged in the moment you get home from school till you go school the next day it'll kill your battery.
you proberly can just buy a another battery or maybe your warranty can fix it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)