why english is compulsary (1 Viewer)

torta1994

HSC
i dont know why english is compulsary, its not like you and me are going to use it after the hsc, like is simile really going to help me find a job, you may say that english helps with elocution but seriously that could be learnt later on in life.

another bone to pick with english...who here really believes that shakespeare is still relevant to this day? lets take taming of the shrew for example, shakespeare's inner misogynistic values are illustrated, puhlease, how could we still learn this play in this day and age, how can one believe shakespeare being one of the best playwrights.

in my opinion, chemistry should be compulsary...sick and fed up about damn bogans not knowing anything and going on today tonight to complain about toxic chemicals ie: dihydrogen monoxide affecting their sex lives

:evilfire::evilfire::evilfire::evilfire::evilfire::evilfire:

determine

Premium Member
HSC
i dont know why english is compulsary, its not like you and me are going to use it after the hsc, like is simile really going to help me find a job, you may say that english helps with elocution but seriously that could be learnt later on in life.

another bone to pick with english...who here really believes that shakespeare is still relevant to this day? lets take taming of the shrew for example, shakespeare's inner misogynistic values are illustrated, puhlease, how could we still learn this play in this day and age, how can one believe shakespeare being one of the best playwrights.

in my opinion, chemistry should be compulsary...sick and fed up about damn bogans not knowing anything and going on today tonight to complain about toxic chemicals ie: dihydrogen monoxide affecting their sex lives

you come on here, and this is the FIRST post you make? TROLL MUCH?

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
LOL, if OP managed to at least look around the site, she'd notice about 3 threads on this exact same subject within the past month.

Suck it up - English is here to stay. No amount of student power is going to change that.

Mudkip94

HSC
Kinda agree, peeps need to know English but why like Shakespeare, poems, creative writing 'n' shit? I reckon Standard English should be like General Maths (real world applications) and Advanced/Extension should be like higher maths (theoretical shit).

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Kinda agree, peeps need to know English but why like Shakespeare, poems, creative writing 'n' shit? I reckon Standard English should be like General Maths (real world applications) and Advanced/Extension should be like higher maths (theoretical shit).

Everyone keeps saying this but i'm telling you right now, you would likely be complaining twice as hard if you were having grammar shoved down your throat all year instead. Kills the soul.

Mu5hi

Banned
HSC
Everyone keeps saying this but i'm telling you right now, you would likely be complaining twice as hard if you were having grammar shoved down your throat all year instead. Kills the soul.
I would probably be happier with that. Also english should be compulsory but dont make it count towards ATAR. Maybe only 1 unit so students still put in effort.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
LOL, if OP managed to at least look around the site, she'd notice about 3 threads on this exact same subject within the past month.

Suck it up - English is here to stay. No amount of student power is going to change that.

yeh dont you know useful a good knowledge of shakespeare is in these modern times?

random-1005

Banned
HSC
extension maths has real world applications lol

who knows when you might want to find the greatest coefficient in a binomial expansion??

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I would probably be happier with that. Also english should be compulsory but dont make it count towards ATAR. Maybe only 1 unit so students still put in effort.
lol, you have obviously never studied complex grammar, 90% of students would be gnawing their arms off after the first month.

random-1005

Banned
HSC
lol, you have obviously never studied complex grammar, 90% of students would be gnawing their arms off after the first month.
see thats what i dont get, if it is convention to have all these commas and apostrophes and that rubbish why doesnt the computer automatically put them in, and does it really matter if they are not there, it makes very little difference to the meaning of what is written.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
see thats what i dont get, if it is convention to have all these commas and apostrophes and that rubbish why doesnt the computer automatically put them in, and does it really matter if they are not there, it makes very little difference to the meaning of what is written.

Well it doesn't to you since you have known the language from a very young age, you are able to recognise different words in different forms without even realising it.But for people learning english as a language for the first time they are essential markers of meaning.

But this is my point, most students are like you and i and have known the language from such a young age that learning such things is just tedious and not really helpful or applicable cuz we recognize the meanings anyway. It does improve your writing skills though and you do get an appreciation of the complexity of the language.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
You're going to be using english your whole life to communicate and so a workforce which can communicate effectively is important. If you know you're going to be doing engineering at uni then at least you'll graduate university with the ability to communicate verbally and through written devices effectively. I see what you mean in that why would we need Shakespeare? but its the technques we learn such as analysing in creative ways that we can apply to later life.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
100000000th thread on this topic.

It's compulsory as others have metioned before so that you learn to communicate and write properly. But in imo the Advanced course has done jack shit on that cause they emphasise too much on analysis and techniques which is useless. Personally I wouldn't do any form of English if it wasn't compulsory even if the course wasn't so shit.

iMAN2

HSC
N/A
The time we can spend discussing if english should be compulsory can rather be spent finishing of an essay or finishing off a dot point. So get started pplz!!! :)

jenga218

HSC
Why english is compulsory: So that people can learn how to write properly.

I thought this would be a thread telling me why English is compulsory, not just someone else wingeing about it. :p

"Why is English compulsory?" should be the title of the thread, doorknob...

speedofsound

HSC

this is why it's compulsory.

darkcounty

thas unaustralian... hic
HSC
It's more about comprehension and expressing yourself effectively. Higher education subjects involves complex language and all subjects require essays and reports to be written. English is all about improving your writing style and being able to argue points succinctly so it isn't an eyesore for lecturers to mark.

Of course, if you are doing dog grooming at TAFE, you might have a point.

Jaylee42003

HSC

Compulsory

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)