Why is Corby guilty? (2 Viewers)

spell check

HSC
miss_b said:
Yes. They should be able to shape their society in any way they want. It's not as if it affects you in any way. You have the choice of not going there if you are against the way they work, just as schapelle had the choice whether to go to bali or not...
women in those societies don't have the choice of not having their genitals mutilated though

they shouldn't be able to shape their society in that way

face it, some societies are objectively fairer and more humanitarian than others

i'm not saying western countries are perfect in any way, but the death penalty for smuggling 4kg of marijuana is objectively ridiculous

and that thing about choice, that doesn't make sense, we live in a global community.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
withoutaface said:
There are some obvious boundaries to that concept, but I don't think that 20 years is intrinsically wrong for what Schapelle has done, although many might disagree.
Is there anything that is actually intrinsically wrong?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
spell check said:
i'm not saying western countries are perfect in any way, but the death penalty for smuggling 4kg of marijuana is objectively ridiculous
I agree.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
miss_b said:
Is there anything that is actually intrinsically wrong?
I believe that there are some boundaries where a subject has such a strong subjective case that it in effect becomes objective. Hitler gassing the Jews, for instance.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
spell check said:
women in those societies don't have the choice of not having their genitals mutilated though

they shouldn't be able to shape their society in that way

face it, some societies are objectively fairer and more humanitarian than others

and that thing about choice, that doesn't make sense, we live in a global community.
Those women may not seen it as "mutilation" because they grow up accepting it. Like ear piercing, isn't that a form of "mutilation" and self inflicted pain? Yet we accept it...

There is no such thing as objectivity. All our thoughts and opinions are coloured by our cultural influences...

biggles04

Banned
HSC
N/A
Lindy Chamberlain case opinions/discussion/questions.

As I believe her case reflects the controversial decision, however, by our legal system, rather than the Indonesian legal system.
Which is different as Chamberlain was not travelling to Indonesia at the time she/the dingo murdered her baby, but still, I would like to hear people's opinions on Chamberlain in comparison to their Corby opinions.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
withoutaface said:
I believe that there are some boundaries where a subject has such a strong subjective case that it in effect becomes objective. Hitler gassing the Jews, for instance.

Why do we always base our arguements on the assumption that all humans are equal just because they are human?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
miss_b said:
Those women may not seen it as "mutilation" because they grow up accepting it. Like ear piercing, isn't that a form of "mutilation" and self inflicted pain? Yet we accept it...

There is no such thing as objectivity. All our thoughts and opinions are coloured by our cultural influences...
If a society brought women up telling them that at the age of 25 they had to pick up a gun and blow their brains out, and women accepted that, would you stand idly by and allow it to happen?

spell check

HSC
miss_b said:

don't bullshit yourself

genital mutilation isn't self inflicted anyway, they don't have a choice. i can't even be bothered explaining why that comparison is so stupid.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
miss_b said:
Why do we always base our arguements on the assumption that all humans are equal just because they are human?
All humans should be equal

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
withoutaface said:
If a society brought women up telling them that at the age of 25 they had to pick up a gun and blow their brains out, and women accepted that, would you stand idly by and allow it to happen?
Yes. You see, i am someone who can accept anything as long as it does not affect me...

Those women could accept that, so why can't i? After all, i am not even part of that society...

spell check

HSC
miss_b said:
Yes. You see, i am someone who can accept anything as long as it does not affect me...

Those women could accept that, so why can't i? After all, i am not even part of that society...
the women only accept it because they have no choice

all that says about you is that you're one cold bitch, not some intellectual wizard who can look at everything in some better way than everyone else

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
miss_b said:
Even if they aren't equal, does that mean they deserve to be murdered in order for Racial cleansing to occur?

There have been clear lines drawn by the UN conventions, and I believe that these should be followed in all cases, no matter what the culture. We must respect a countries principles up to a point, but there is a line that, when crossed, demands intervention.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
miss_b said:

Please tell me you're not serious, and sorry but if you really believe that then I'm inclined to agree with spell check.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
spell check said:
the women only accept it because they have no choice

all that says about you is that you're one cold bitch, not some intellectual wizard who can look at everything in some better way than everyone else
I guess "cold bitch" is one way of putting it :rolleyes:

And i didn't say that i looked "at everything in some better way than everyone else" you merely got that impression. I just try to not care about things that don't concern me...

Do i have to accept that i can't go around killing people because i have no choice? Is this unfair?

tempco

HSC
does anyone know what carries the death sentence in indo, apart from drug smuggling and murder?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)