Why is Science Fiction stereotyped as poor so often? (1 Viewer)

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
I'm an avid fan of Science Fiction... and good Science Fiction... I like series like Kevin J. Anderson's "The Saga of Seven Suns" and Otherland. And my favourite Televsion Science Fictions are Battlestar Galactica and Firefly.

What I don't understand is why it has become this looked down upon culture. When Jules Verne wrote 20,000 Leagues under the sea and journey to the centre of the earth, when The Matrix was released, when Transformers was released, people seemed to love it. Some people thought they were cheesy (particularly Transformers - but that WAS the point I'd imagine).

Yet Every Science fiction series just seems to get pushed and pushed back to dodgier and dodgier time slots and eventually removed from the air.

Is it because of the Science? Because of the nerdiness of Star Trek and Star Wars and the like? That's my thought...

But with other literature and media, people will chew up any of it, even when the majority of it is terrible. Crime shows and Novels are one example.

HSC
Sci-fi = geeky nerds who watch/read them?
That stereotype probably arose with Star Trek/Wars etc.

sando516

HSC
Just gotta say, cause you mentioned it, Firefly: it rocks. As does the movie they made out of it.

Relating to what you said before, does it really matter what stereotypes people associate with any activity/characteristic/etc? You should do what you want with your life and everyone else can go to hell. But that's just me.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
This isn't news.

Science fiction has always been a critical joke, from the very earliest days. Much serious fiction is marginalised by the label "science fiction".

It's particularly been a critical joke. People have trouble accepting science fiction as high culture.

Many of the greatest novels of the twentieth century are works of science fiction, but they've always been relatively critically and popularly marginalised.

"I have been a soreheaded occupant of a file drawer labeled 'science fiction' ever since, and I would like out, particularly since so many serious critics regularly mistake the drawer for a urinal."

u-borat

Banned
HSC
firefly and battlestar galactica are two of the most amazing tv shows out there.

lucidassembly

HSC
I completely agree unfortunately. It speaks wonders about general perceptions of science fiction that Battlestar got snubbed for Best Drama this year at the Emmys (the most likely reason being that a sci-fi show couldn't possibly be considered a 'drama').

Even if the Star Trek and Star Wars fans are more obsessive than most, it's no reason for the entire genre to gain a terrible reputation. There are so many sci-fi shows and films which contain far more truth, honesty and realism than the majority of what's being produced. Whether it's because people tend to steer clear of things that they can't instantly recognise or understand (I can't describe the number of people who have laughed at the notion of Thesulac Demons or Carrionites threatening the livelihood of earth), or because they think it's too stereotypical a genre, I'm sure we'll never know. There's usually not much arguing with them either way.

Narrow-minded people have no idea what they're missing out on :mad1:

pman

Banned
HSC
Sci fi is a generic genre, its easy to write badly and very hard to write well.
If you can write it well however it is amazing, its just the high percentage of crap sci-fi

shcottydont

sweet i get a title!!!
HSC
I think the answer lies in the fact that science fiction is such a broad topic, it could be anything from space travelling smugglers (firefly) to a group of humans with personalities stripped from them so they can be programed and rented to 'clients' (dollhouse) to (following the example of the topic starters avatar) Warhammer High Elves.

and what about stargate (and stargate universe)? forgetting one of the classics

firefly is amazing, Doc Who is up there, torchwood is great too, dollhouse, star wars, Kings and many many other series

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
I think the answer lies in the fact that science fiction is such a broad topic, it could be anything from space travelling smugglers (firefly) to a group of humans with personalities stripped from them so they can be programed and rented to 'clients' (dollhouse) to (following the example of the topic starters avatar) Warhammer High Elves.

and what about stargate (and stargate universe)? forgetting one of the classics

firefly is amazing, Doc Who is up there, torchwood is great too, dollhouse, star wars, Kings and many many other series
lol way for people to have resurrected a thread.

lol you Know Warhammer High Elves... I totally get Irressistable force for my posts on any double roll :)

Stargate isn't a serious show, neither is Atlantis or Universe. They are fun, but hardly can be classified as works of Grand Fiction. Battlestar in it's entirety however is amazing.

Nyxie

HSC
I simply must post on a thread that mentions firefly... it is a necessity as firefly simply is just that brilliant. Can't take the sky from us Browncoats !

Unsatisfied

HSC
because the actors and directors fail, sci fi movies and series always look so forced and fake, its hard to invest any interest into them

2001 a space odyssey was the only good sci fi film ever

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Warhammer is not science fiction. Warhammer is fantasy that happens to take place in a futuristic setting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)