Wii (1 Viewer)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
I can't bloody wait :D I've got a 360, but this will be a good break from it. I just love the idea of the controller - just read a preview of madden 07, and you actually have to make a passing motion to pass the ball.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
it better not sell out in oz. i'll only be back on the 19th. ideally i'd love to pick it up at the boxing day sales (along with an hdtv)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
runtlocks said:
Is the Wii expensive, considering it's specs in comparison to the 360, which at $200 extra a lot more powerful?
If you want powerful, buy a PC. If you want FPS, mouse and keyboard > hand controller.

PC > 360.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
withoutaface said:
If you want powerful, buy a PC. If you want FPS, mouse and keyboard > hand controller.

PC > 360.
yes, but a PC has to be constantly upgradeable, plus you'd spend much more to run games at the same quality as they would on the 360 (my stepdad ended up spending quite a bit on his PC and the quality of Oblivion wasn't as impressive as what it was for the 360). Nor does it have a bustling online community. nor does it have achievements. nor is it good for sports games. and if you want to play with a mouse+keyboard on the 360, an adapter is coming soon. plus some people just prefer playing with a controller and console gaming in general

dracnom

HSC
bazookajoe said:
I'm buying it for the games, I don't give a shit about graphics or frame rate etc.
Give me the new Zelda over....I don't even know any 360 games
graphics and frame rates are really important in a game console, wii will lose in this area, but i reckon it will give PS3 and X360 a run for its money with its new motion sensored technology, however, i don't think it will last really long, as the next gen console will have photo-realistic and much more content filled games.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
withoutaface said:

PC > 360.
PCs I find to be a bit too fussy, I much prefer the whole console thing, as well as being able to sit around with a few friends as opposed to going to some LAN cafe where high school students jig class to play CS. Don't have the money for a PC anyway.

There are a few "said" 360 exclusives that are comming that I really want to play, Bioshock, Assasain's Creed and Gears of War mainly, but knowing Microsoft they may just be ported over to the PC anyway if they become too popular:rolleyes:

And for some, strange, ridiculous reason, I prefer to play an FPS with a controller, not keyboard-mouse(?!?!?!?!??!?)
:bomb:

Sefi

HSC
The way i see it, the Wii is in a league of it's own. Sure, it's the most underpowered next-gen console. But while Sony and Microsoft are busy trying to wow everyone with some flashy HD pictures, Nintendo is once again making something NEW and REVOLUTIONARY (excuse the pun).
For example, I've heard there is a starwars game coming out where the remote will be used like a lightsaber. Now thats something you wont see on PS3 or 360.
For gamers, I'm beting most will own a Wii and something else.

Also, theres no comparing PC's to consoles, they both provide a different way of gaming. Sure, you can get a multitude of controlers etc for PC, but as it has already been said, one must keep up to date hardware wise (although this is debateable, I'm running a p4 3.00Ghz @ 3.45 and a 6600TD overclocked to its limits, thus i get great FPS at a low cost). On the otherhand, while a console is a buy-once option, eventually the visual quality of games is limited due to the hardware.

Sony and Microsoft are applauding themselves because of their HD graphics, sure, HD looks nice, but, like everything, you can't judge a game by the accuracy of the light reflecting off the tiny bit of water streaking down the edge of a castle 50m away. The thing that annoys me about new consoles is that they try and ride on the graphics power they hold, which is completely useless when actual gameplay and story are forgotten (why do you think FFVII is still one of the greatest games EVER).
Nintendo has gone the other way, from what I've seen, the graphics are still pretty good (even on an old CRT tv, which the majority of people own), but the real magic is in the new controller/remote.

In short Wii>360 and PS3

stazi

Nightman
HSC
dracnom said:
graphics and frame rates are really important in a game console, wii will lose in this area, but i reckon it will give PS3 and X360 a run for its money with its new motion sensored technology, however, i don't think it will last really long, as the next gen console will have photo-realistic and much more content filled games.
I disagree. Look at the NDS as opposed to the PSP. No one I know who has both systems plays the PSP, no matter how amazing the graphics are for a handheld.

The Wii targets casual gamers, as well as those who want to compliment another console. I see it perfect as an add-on for a 360, as the games are just so unique and different.

The 360 and PS3 won't offer much originality in terms of gameplay, but the Wii certainly will, just like Nintendo did with the NDS.

runtlocks said:
There are a few "said" 360 exclusives that are comming that I really want to play, Bioshock, Assasain's Creed and Gears of War mainly, but knowing Microsoft they may just be ported over to the PC anyway if they become too popular:rolleyes:

And for some, strange, ridiculous reason, I prefer to play an FPS with a controller, not keyboard-mouse(?!?!?!?!??!?)
:bomb:
Assassin's creed isn't a 360 exclusive. Gears of War will be ported over to PC, apparently. You'd need an amazing PC to run it though. I have GoW and it's amazing. Just breathtaking to look at and play.
I also prefer a controller for some reason :p it takes some time to get used to, but i can shoot just as accurately as with a mouse and enjoy it a lot more.

Sefi said:
The way i see it, the Wii is in a league of it's own. Sure, it's the most underpowered next-gen console. But while Sony and Microsoft are busy trying to wow everyone with some flashy HD pictures, Nintendo is once again making something NEW and REVOLUTIONARY (excuse the pun).
For example, I've heard there is a starwars game coming out where the remote will be used like a lightsaber. Now thats something you wont see on PS3 or 360.
For gamers, I'm beting most will own a Wii and something else.
Couldn't agree more. I love the prospect of motion sensitivity. I mean, how cool is it being able to actually fake a throw as the quarterback to fake out a defender in madden and then pitch it strongly to an open receiver. Or to fight someone with a lightsaber by actually mimicking the motions (hell, I could be that fat star wars kid on youtube).

On the otherhand, while a console is a buy-once option, eventually the visual quality of games is limited due to the hardware.
Whilst this is true, you see game visuals continuously improving on consoles as developers figure out how to tap them for power. Whereas for PC it's all too simple to say 'oh well. let's just recommend a new video card'.

Sony and Microsoft are applauding themselves because of their HD graphics, sure, HD looks nice, but, like everything, you can't judge a game by the accuracy of the light reflecting off the tiny bit of water streaking down the edge of a castle 50m away. The thing that annoys me about new consoles is that they try and ride on the graphics power they hold, which is completely useless when actual gameplay and story are forgotten (why do you think FFVII is still one of the greatest games EVER).
Funnily enough, my 360 is getting repaired and the first thing I did was download FFVII for me to play on a PS1 emulator. Hadn't played it before, and I'm loving it.
Nonetheless, HD looks more than nice. It looks amazing. It can really immerse you in a gaming world. Sometimes I forget that I'm playing, say NBA 2k7 and think I'm watching or playing a real basketball game. Or driving a real Ferrari when playing Test Drive Unlimited. Hell, play condemned. That'll scare the shit out of you with its at times photorealistic graphics.

Nintendo has gone the other way, from what I've seen, the graphics are still pretty good (even on an old CRT tv, which the majority of people own), but the real magic is in the new controller/remote.
the graphics have been constantly compared to gamecube graphics. I don't think that's very good. But then again the strength truly is the new controller, rather than the graphics which in this particular case I don't care about.

Wii>PS3+X360
I disagree. I think I'll put 70% of my gaming time into the 360, and 30% into the wii. The wii seems to be made for more occasional relief, especially when you have some mates over. Shit, I can't imagine how much fun it would be to play over some drinks before a night out. It seems to offer more of a break from regular gaming, just as the NDS did for me from 360 gaming. When I'd get bored from my 360, I'd fire up something silly on my NDS like Phoenix Wright or Princess' Peach Island (yes, it's lame, but quite orsum at the same time). Whilst performing an operation in Trauma Centre is fun, it's not something I'd do for hours at a time.

lengy

HSC
My friends got me a PS2 and I was excited. I played it for about a month and got bored. I love my PC.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
stazi said:
I disagree. I think I'll put 70% of my gaming time into the 360, and 30% into the wii. The wii seems to be made for more occasional relief, especially when you have some mates over. Shit, I can't imagine how much fun it would be to play over some drinks before a night out. It seems to offer more of a break from regular gaming, just as the NDS did for me from 360 gaming. When I'd get bored from my 360, I'd fire up something silly on my NDS like Phoenix Wright or Princess' Peach Island (yes, it's lame, but quite orsum at the same time). Whilst performing an operation in Trauma Centre is fun, it's not something I'd do for hours at a time.
Though there will be a lot of good simple/multiplayer titles on offer, I think the Wii will be great for extensive single-player gaming as well, with games like Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy and Metroid to a lesser extent.
As someone who will only have one next generation console because I'm broke, I'm hoping the Wii will be able to cater for all my gaming needs, supplemented by my DS. Still I'm looking forward to games like SSB Brawl the most.
The only game I'm worried about missing from another console is RE5.
Fuck I'd love to play that.

Edit: Also, I'm kinda irritated that there wasn't at least a little more graphical improvement.
It doesn't matter all that much, but it's like Nintendo didn't put much effort into the graphics at all.
Like they conceded defeat to Microsoft and Sony in that area. While gameplay is everything, nice visuals can make everything better

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
dieburndie said:
Yeah well is it true Microsoft and Sony are selling their hardware at a loss, attempting to make it up on games? I don't think it's a mistake for Nintendo to make a profit. If it helps them live on as long as possible, remaining competitive, then I support it.
And of course the Wii will drop to $300 or less within a year, the 360 came out in march at $699 remember.
They claim that's what they're doing, with sony saying they're making huuuuge losses in the billions (sic). I think that's bullshit. They're simply naming how much each individual component will cost if purchased without the use of strategic alliances, economies of scale, etc. i.e. how much it would cost Joe Blow to build. They probably are making minor losses though.

The 360 came out at $649.95, not $699 and hasn't dropped in price. It hasn't dropped in price in the US either where it's been out for a year. There's been no need for it to.

I very much doubt the wii will drop price as well - it wouldn't make sense. It'll have stable sales due to it's low price of $399.

Though there will be a lot of good simple/multiplayer titles on offer, I think the Wii will be great for extensive single-player gaming as well, with games like Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy and Metroid to a lesser extent.
As someone who will only have one next generation console because I'm broke, I'm hoping the Wii will be able to cater for all my gaming needs, supplemented by my DS. Still I'm looking forward to games like SSB Brawl the most.
The only game I'm worried about missing from another console is RE5.
Fuck I'd love to play that.

Edit: Also, I'm kinda irritated that there wasn't at least a little more graphical improvement.
It doesn't matter all that much, but it's like Nintendo didn't put much effort into the graphics at all.
Like they conceded defeat to Microsoft and Sony in that area. While gameplay is everything, nice visuals can make everything better
Games like mario don't really interest me. I can play them for very short amounts of time before I get bored.

I like the fact that the wii supports gamecube games, as there's a few I'm dying to play (Res evil 4 and eternal darkness in particular).

There is a slight graphical improvement. Note these games are very early in the development cycle, so improvements will come. Chances are the graphics will plateau at about a 1/4 of the way between an xbox and an xbox360/ps3

I think gameplay truly is everything for the wii. However, graphics and gameplay are quite equal for the other two consoles. I need my games to look good, I mean that's why I bought a 360.

Sefi

HSC
stazi said:
Whilst this is true, you see game visuals continuously improving on consoles as developers figure out how to tap them for power. Whereas for PC it's all too simple to say 'oh well. let's just recommend a new video card'.
Whilst to a kind of agree with you, i must at the same time point out that often a game engine will scale to run on low-end pc's, but still look awsome on the latest tech.
Whilst it's simply not possible to have great graphics on a card thats 5 years old, just cause some new engine comes out, doesn't necessarily mean new hardware is in order. For example, many games can be tweaked to run great and look great on a certain system.
This is the problem PC developers have, is that they arn't developing for one system which everyone has. They need to accomodate not only for the $10,000 Powerhouses, but also the $2,000 budget system.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
stazi said:
I disagree. Look at the NDS as opposed to the PSP. No one I know who has both systems plays the PSP, no matter how amazing the graphics are for a handheld.

The Wii targets casual gamers, as well as those who want to compliment another console. I see it perfect as an add-on for a 360, as the games are just so unique and different.
Graphics are an important element to a game, in my opinion. Though it's up to the developer to create something fresh and innovative. For example, the leap from Super Mario World>Mario 64 was huge, and would never have been possible on SNES' hardware. Ditto for countless other franchises, Metroid and GTA in particular.

But to be fair, no substantial changes have been seen beyond the 2D-3D conversion, and it's more or less a rarity to find a 2D game. Most changes were made through the 16 bit to Playstation/N64 era, pretty much nowadays all we get are fucking EA rehashes. Players NOW sweat realistically!! Fuck off, please.

Let's just hope the PS3 is strong enough to break the space time continuum and hit the 4th dimension.

A lot of games rely on their graphical prowess as their main point. If you can find a game called Shadow of the Colossus for the PS2 (fucking Australia and imports:rolleyes:) you'll see what I mean.
stazi said:
The 360 and PS3 won't offer much originality in terms of gameplay, but the Wii certainly will, just like Nintendo did with the NDS.
No doubt, though I prefer to lock myself up in a room for hours on end with controller in hand, not flinging around a remote for ten or so minutes, having a little break, getting up again and stopping at ten minute intervals due to fatigue. This is just how I prefer to play games, which is why I'm not really interested in the Wii, but would like to give it a go nonetheless.

stazi said:
but i can shoot just as accurately as with a mouse.
Fucking lie :uhhuh::p:uhhuh:

stazi said:
and enjoy it a lot more
Same, nothing quite like giving your playing buddy a jab in the arm for getting a bit too overconfident. Much more fun than copping a "pwned lolz" comment over and over again from halfway across the world by some fucking thirteen year old American nerd.

Which brings me back to the console style gaming compared to the PC gaming. It's a much more communal, and more importantly fun for me, to be surrounded by friends yelling and all that junk.

stazi said:
Funnily enough, my 360 is getting repaired and the first thing I did was download FFVII for me to play on a PS1 emulator. Hadn't played it before, and I'm loving it.
(FFVII was released for PC, so it would be more fulfilling to be playing the PC version as opposed to an emulated one, better graphics and the such)
But err yeah, wonderful game, great music and takes me back to when I was but a wee lad!

stazi said:
the graphics have been constantly compared to gamecube graphics. I don't think that's very good. But then again the strength truly is the new controller, rather than the graphics which in this particular case I don't care about.
There's no question to it - the Wii will rely on it's controller and it's functionability as well as it's first party games.
I do have a bit of a problem with the way Nintendo have been going about this, much to the applause of Nintendo fanboys all over the world. They put so much emphasis on this new controller of theirs, and they condemn Sony and MS for relying on graphics too much. Most Nintendo zealots will make that tired old point (not that I'm calling you a fanboy) that they don't give a squat about graphics, it's all about the gameplay. Consumers choosing between the three consoles have to consider their priorities, what they want from the machine, whether it be a revolutionary way to play (via the Wii) or stunning graphics (Sony and MS). I'm just wondering, why does it have to be one way or the other? Why not have both good graphics and diverse gameplay?

Sefi said:
The thing that annoys me about new consoles is that they try and ride on the graphics power they hold, which is completely useless when actual gameplay and story are forgotten (why do you think FFVII is still one of the greatest games EVER).
Gameplay is not an underrated component of games. All three consoles will recieve their fare share of "classic" titles. As was stated before, playing games with a standard controller is how I like to play games, so the 360 appeals more to me than the Wii.
And who would consider Final Fantasy VII as having good gameplay?! Story-wise it enchanted me when I was young, but the gameplay has been turnbased boringness from I to X. Fair enough if it's your kind of thing, though :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
"But to be fair, no substantial changes have been seen beyond the 2D-3D conversion, and it's more or less a rarity to find a 2D game. Most changes were made through the 16 bit to Playstation/N64 era, pretty much nowadays all we get are fucking EA rehashes. Players NOW sweat realistically!! Fuck off, please."

I disagree. Have you played a 360 game on an HD-TV? I'm talking about something like gears of war, or even madden or nba 2k7. It's as big huuuuuge leap.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
"But to be fair, no substantial changes have been seen beyond the 2D-3D conversion, and it's more or less a rarity to find a 2D game. Most changes were made through the 16 bit to Playstation/N64 era, pretty much nowadays all we get are fucking EA rehashes. Players NOW sweat realistically!! Fuck off, please."

I disagree. Have you played a 360 game on an HD-TV? I'm talking about something like gears of war, or even madden or nba 2k7. It's as big huuuuuge leap.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
stazi said:
The 360 came out at $649.95, not $699 and hasn't dropped in price. It hasn't dropped in price in the US either where it's been out for a year. There's been no need for it to.

I very much doubt the wii will drop price as well - it wouldn't make sense. It'll have stable sales due to it's low price of $399.
Oh I was wrong about the 360. Shows what I know, I should stop making shit up. Anyway, I think the Wii will drop in price relatively soon, I at least hope that the controllers do.

I like the fact that the wii supports gamecube games, as there's a few I'm dying to play (Res evil 4 and eternal darkness in particular).
You HAVE to play those two games, the second is one of the most underrated games ever as far as I see it.
I played through RE4 multiple times without getting bored, it's brilliant.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
stazi said:
I mean in terms of what gameplay can offer you. Mario evolved from a 2D jump up and down platformer into a 3d game, that kind of thing.

stazi

Nightman
HSC

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Sefi said:
fact is, the average person doesn't have a HD-TV.
fact is, they should invest in one.
You can expect a huge push for hd-tvs late this year before xmas, as HD-DVD players are launching. I got the HD-DVD extension for the 360 (well i'm going to be able to try it out on monday). Should be awesome.

Also, you don't need a TV per se. I'm running my 360 through my 21 inch monitor via a VGAy cable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)