Will Australia ever have an Aboriginal Prime Minister (1 Viewer)

Will Australia ever see an Aboriginal Prime Minister

• Yes

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 62 72.1%

• Total voters

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
Given the imminent potential success of the first African-American Presidential Candidate, lets turn our eyes to our own shores. Is it possible/reasonable to assume an Aboriginal will have success in a Federal Election in the future?

Yes or No,

Why?

If Yes, what would be a reasonable time frame

savio23q

Band
HSC
Im not into politics, but I say no. I don't know many Aboriginals in politics. There may be in the very distant future, but for now, I say no.

SH33P

k lol...
HSC
no.... would you vote for an aboriginal prime minister?

they would get land rights back! more reconciliation! Native Australia Policy! who wants that?

they would get revenge and cause another stolen generation! whipping white kids out of homes and sticking them in sacred sites hunting native animals with sticks!

remember a true australian is one that's nationality is from a different country

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
We've only had 26 Prime Ministers, and Aboriginals make up about 2% of our population, so give it another 100 years or so.

Pacchiru

like bonnie and clyde
HSC
nope.

never.

it will ruin everything.

how about an arab president? that could go quite well, right?

savio23q

Band
HSC
Pacchiru said:
nope.

never.

it will ruin everything.

how about an arab president? that could go quite well, right?
Yes, death to the infidels.

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
SH33P said:
no.... would you vote for an aboriginal prime minister?

they would get land rights back! more reconciliation! Native Australia Policy! who wants that?

they would get revenge and cause another stolen generation! whipping white kids out of homes and sticking them in sacred sites hunting native animals with sticks!

remember a true australian is one that's nationality is from a different country
Do you think though that the G-G safety net/advisors/any form of rational political motive might prevent that?

i LOL'd at your last line!!

HSC
they would probably light fires inside parliament house to cook their tucker and burn the fucking place down

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
In retrospect, I think the McCain campaign shouldve been like "No ma'am he's not a muslim, HE'S AN ATHEIST"

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
do u think that religion is a large influence on voting in australia? personally, no
although the constitution is clearly founded on christian values, it is a secular state.
Whereas the same conclusion can be drawn for the USA, it is intrisically christian.
I think in Australia, values more closely aligned with being 'an aussie', are more important than religious preference.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
Iron said:
In retrospect, I think the McCain campaign shouldve been like "No ma'am he's not a muslim, HE'S AN ATHEIST"
Sure, why not. One more lie won't make much difference.

Although when Senator Dole tried that in her latest ad against Hagen, Dole slipped from a tie race to being behind 10%. ;)

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
It took america 145 years following the abolishment of slavery in the Union States by Lincoln to bring about an african-american president.

Now lets draw an incredibly simplistic comparison between America and Australia.
Abolishment of Slavery = 'Sorry'
Thus by that logic, we must wait 145 years from 2008 = 2153. But in that year, the PM will be half way through his term (assuming all subsequent terms following the 2007 election endure the 4years). Therefore we must wait a further 2 years to 2155, Before we will see the election of an Aboriginal PM

sound reasonable?

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
interesting question...
given that i founded this thread based on a comparison with USA
If the candidate was anything the quality 'leader' (obviously the policies would be different) that Barrack Obama was, then i'd have no hesitation.
Race would not be a question, given a suitable candidate, i would vote in favour

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)