Will Australia ever have an Aboriginal Prime Minister (1 Viewer)

Will Australia ever see an Aboriginal Prime Minister

• Yes

Votes: 24 27.9%
  • No

Votes: 62 72.1%

• Total voters

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Trefoil said:
Haven't the Greens and Family First had aboriginal ministers?
There's only been one Aboriginal member of Federal parliament, being Senator Neville Bonner.

Lentern

HSC
I doubt we'll ever have a predominantly aboriginal one. Perhaps we'll get one whose great grandmother's aunty was aboriginal or something but I think the entirely indigenous Australian will be a very rare thing in thirty years time. If you're talking black prime ministers I think much more likely will be a filo.

boris

Banned
HSC
ol nev aint such a bad bloke. hates lazy coons. the average coon isnt even a darkie these days anyway. icky half casts.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
withoutaface said:
There's only been one Aboriginal member of Federal parliament, being Senator Neville Bonner.
And Senator Aden Ridgeway.

Notable that both were Senators. I doubt you'll see an aboriginal MP for a while yet.

ur_inner_child said:
You think the equivalent for us is aboriginal? because they're black or???

I would've thought Asian (despite how little they've assimilated).

Still painfully unlikely though.
An Asian PM is more likely than an aboriginal. There is an asian cabinet minister currently.

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
personally i disagree...
aboriginals would be closer aligned as 'australians' than asians...
i think you'd need an uber cool trent who can relate incredibly well to the masses to make it as a party leader
otherwise we are more likely to see quasi-caste aboriginals to make it high up
australia is too xenophobic

i will clarify and say however:
asians are uber useful as ministers cuz they are hard working and smart...

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
withoutaface said:
...and Aden Ridgeway, a Democrat

Last edited:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
reh said:
I shall rephrase... where i say 'founded on christian values'....replace with 'influenced by Christian values'
i was alluding to the idea that the society from which australia originated was largely christian.
It really isn't. The Constitution is primarily concerned with assigning powers to the states and federal government and creating the organs of federal government i.e. the senate, the legislative assembly, the judiciary and the executive. Read the Constitution. You could try to claim that our modern legal system is founded upon Christian values, but even that isn't clear (as you claimed). The only seven commandments that made the statute books are murder and theft, and those are pretty universally frowned upon regardless of a countries culture or religion.

always.dreaming

sporadic attendee
HSC
N/A
reh said:
Given the imminent potential success of the first African-American Presidential Candidate, lets turn our eyes to our own shores. Is it possible/reasonable to assume an Aboriginal will have success in a Federal Election in the future?
From what I understand Obama is only half african-american, and his 'black' father is a Kenyan rather than an african-american person.

So I guess maybe if the candidate running for PM was only half aboriginal.

And his aboriginal parent belonged to a different country.

i.e. if one of Obama's children married Mel Mclaughlin.

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Rafy said:
And Senator Aden Ridgeway.

Notable that both were Senators. I doubt you'll see an aboriginal MP for a while yet.

An Asian PM is more likely than an aboriginal. There is an asian cabinet minister currently.
We'll probabyl never know
Like Howard's gay minister

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
neo o said:
It really isn't. The Constitution is primarily concerned with assigning powers to the states and federal government and creating the organs of federal government i.e. the senate, the legislative assembly, the judiciary and the executive. Read the Constitution. You could try to claim that our modern legal system is founded upon Christian values, but even that isn't clear (as you claimed). The only seven commandments that made the statute books are murder and theft, and those are pretty universally frowned upon regardless of a countries culture or religion.
Murder certainly isn't frowned upon when a woman commits adultery in a Islamic state... They are still stoned to death i am led to belive, at least executed for this crime

I can't believe you are 4th year law. Very first sentence in the constitution "Whereas the people of New South Wales, Victoria, South Australia, Queensland, and Tasmania, humbly relying on the blessing of Almighty God, have agreed to unite in one indissoluble Federal Commonwealth under the Crown of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and under the Constitution hereby established:"

do not tell me that is not a clear allusion to christianity within the constitution.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
always.dreaming said:
From what I understand Obama is only half african-american, and his 'black' father is a Kenyan rather than an african-american person.

So I guess maybe if the candidate running for PM was only half aboriginal.

And his aboriginal parent belonged to a different country.

i.e. if one of Obama's children married Mel Mclaughlin.
Why is the equivalent of an african-american going for president the equivalent of an aborigine running for prime minister?

I really can't draw the distinction except the fact that they're black/non-anglo.

I'm sorry I realise no one else here really gives a shit about the comparison, but I am disturbed by it. It would make sense to compare an aborigine for prime minister had Obama been a Native Indian.

It just astounds me that people can go around and say "too many asians in australia" and then disregard that they might seek representation/equality/someone to identify with the same way African-Americans currently seek in Obama.

Captin gay

Supremacist.
HSC
That is not the purpose of Senator Obama's candidacy. The reason blacks will vote for Senator Obama is because, historically, they have identified with the Democratic Party and because it's sort of a catharsis for the black community. They already have the Congressional Black Caucus.

zstar

HSC
N/A
I wonder what Obama would look like if he were Aboriginal?

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
How can one compare an African American with an Aboriginal? There are numerous influential and successful African Americans who extend across media, politics, Hollywood, literature, sports and culture.

The Aboriginal people simply do not compare. That's not racism - it's honesty.

No, there will never be an Indigenous Prime Minister.

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
the intention was not to compare or draw parallels
But Obama's election certainly allows for us to ask the question of ourselves.
I'm not trying to say they are one and the same by any means, you are just reading that into the question

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
Then I'm arguing that African-Americans are so much more to the American people than are Aboriginals here. Therefore an African American President is more likely than an Aboriginal Prime Minister.

reh

Long Thick Member
HSC
sure...
but you're still arguing off topic...
the topic is 'will australia ever have an aboriginal PM'
not
'who is more likely, an African American President or an Aboriginal Prime Minister'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)