• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Will i still be able to get 98+? (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
I suppose it varies quite a bit then. Case by case.

We had more than 10 people out of ~150 in my grade get 98+ (with a rank of 63 in '09).
Yeh true, because school rank is based only on band 6's. So you can have a small amount of people who get all the band 6's, or a large amount getting one or two or something in between.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
You must improve these ranks considerably if you want to get 98+. Here are a few examples:

In 2010, my school was ranked 63. In 2011, my friend did the HSC and got 98.40 and he was ranked: 1st in Ancient & Legal, 2nd in SOR, 2nd in English Advanced, 10th in 2u Maths, 6th in 3u Maths & 1st in History Extension. When we did our HSC, my school dropped down from 63rd to like 79th or something.

By comparison, I was ranked 1st in English Adv + Eng Ext I, 2nd in Ancient & Legal, 1st in SOR, 8th in 2u maths and 20th in 3u maths. I got a 99+ ATAR. (But I did get 98/100 in Ancient and 49/50 in SOR).

If you're aiming for 98+, you need English, Modern and Extension History to be in the top 5. You MUST bring 2u maths into top 10 and Chem+Bio should be no more than 10-15.

Just remember, NEVER let anyone tell you what you can't do.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
At my school, depending on the year - typically rank 35 or so. We get about 5 with 99+, and probably another 10 or so at 98-98.85 and 15 or so at 97-97.95, some years even have 10 people with 99+.

With your ranks at your school (pretty shit - sorry for being harsh), you'd need to be top 2-3 in all your subjects.

bleakarcher

HSC
At my school, depending on the year - typically rank 35 or so. We get about 5 with 99+, and probably another 10 or so at 98-98.85 and 15 or so at 97-97.95, some years even have 10 people with 99+.

With your ranks at your school (pretty shit - sorry for being harsh), you'd need to be top 2-3 in all your subjects.
OP, don't take offence to that. School rank doesn't mean jack shit. It all depends upon the individual, whether they work for it or not.

SanjoyM

HSC
Maybe they had tests to get Sanjoy's cohort to make them go to a selective class.
Yup, they had a test, and all the top classess are selective. Advanced English, Extension 1 and 2, Ancient History 1, Biology 1, Chem 1, Music 1 :)

Examine

same
HSC
Yup, they had a test, and all the top classess are selective. Advanced English, Extension 1 and 2, Ancient History 1, Biology 1, Chem 1, Music 1 :)
Though it still doesn't change the fact that the cohort was gathered before it actually implemented the selective part, (basically a same shit, different name approach I guess)

Wooyeah

HSC
Might as well call it selective classes, does nothing to the school rank just uplifts the school 'name'.

Examine

same
HSC
Might as well call it selective classes, does nothing to the school rank just uplifts the school 'name'.
My school is not selective, though we have a top class (first Gifted and Talented class graduates) which accumulated 16 Band 6s for English, 25 Band 6s for Maths and 6 all rounders. Were comprehensive.

HSC
sorry. 462 it is then.. The rank is just so depressing! It's a good school, has a lot of potential, but some students inevatibly drag the rank down :|. Hopefully it will change by this year..
*inevitably.
I wouldn't be a hypocrite you know.

chibikyara

HSC
N/A
I don't think you should be so fixed on getting top rank. Rather, aim for high marks and the ranks will parallel your marks.

theind1996

HSC
N/A

Penrith has ONLY ~15 with 97+?! WTF?! my school is only like 8-10 ranks above yours yet we have approx ~30-35 ABOVE 98 each year..

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Penrith has ONLY ~15 with 97+?! WTF?! my school is only like 8-10 ranks above yours yet we have approx ~30-35 ABOVE 98 each year..
someth1ng stated that 30 people got over 97, not 15.

burwoodgal

HSC
Thanks for all the advice!
I am going to try extra hard now, hopefully my ranks will move up!

broskies1

Bachelor Law/Arts
HSC
Hey , don't spend too much time worrying about ranks and all that crap. Focus on your studies and do your best. I remember when I did my HSC 3 years ago everyone on this site did nothing but spread negativity. Anything is possible , esp. considering scaling and final HSC performances. Take me for example my advanced english assessment mark was a dismal 69! After scaling AND my final HSC score I ended up with 90+ mark for the course. I went all out in my other subjects too ended up going very well in my HSC and got into a law/arts degree. Also , NO it was not at UWS to all the trolls out there. (also my school rank was like 260+ or maybe even just under 300.. been a while)

Everyone acts like an expert out here.. keep on doing what you're doing. Even if you don't make that 98 Atar there is also alternative entry paths or transfering posibilities. My friend did an arts degree at Usyd , HD all first semester and was accepted into Usyd Law.

Also trolls please don't comment on this saying that it's bullshit , this is just my personal experience! I've been through the process , seen and heard all the stories first hand. Most of you (trolls) havent even sat your trials so please don't judge on a process you havent completed.

enoilgam

HSC
Hey , don't spend too much time worrying about ranks and all that crap. Focus on your studies and do your best. I remember when I did my HSC 3 years ago everyone on this site did nothing but spread negativity. Anything is possible , esp. considering scaling and final HSC performances. Take me for example my advanced english assessment mark was a dismal 69! After scaling AND my final HSC score I ended up with 90+ mark for the course. I went all out in my other subjects too ended up going very well in my HSC and got into a law/arts degree. Also , NO it was not at UWS to all the trolls out there. (also my school rank was like 260+ or maybe even just under 300.. been a while)

Everyone acts like an expert out here.. keep on doing what you're doing. Even if you don't make that 98 Atar there is also alternative entry paths or transfering posibilities. My friend did an arts degree at Usyd , HD all first semester and was accepted into Usyd Law.

Also trolls please don't comment on this saying that it's bullshit , this is just my personal experience! I've been through the process , seen and heard all the stories first hand. Most of you (trolls) havent even sat your trials so please don't judge on a process you havent completed.
I agree with what your saying, but the OP asked for an honest opinion and thats what many of us gave them. Considering its not even halfway through term 2 of the HSC year, heaps of things can and will change for the OP, so 98 is still very much possible at this point. Our estimates are based on current rankings only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)