Windows 7 RC Public Beta (1 Viewer)

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
i'll be installing some new games, stalker clear sky
Hehehe. :p

There should be a considerable gain in performance if u were to run games in W7. - Not as cluttered with processes/W7 was built ground up. Don't have all the eye candy that was built ontop of XP that you have in vista.

I've got 2 HDD's atm - 1TB all up.
Partitioned it to be:
320gb HDD
1. Windows XP on a harddrive on its own (320gb)

750GB HDD
1. Ubuntu - ~200GB
2. Multimedia (NTFS) - ~320GB
3. Other Files (NTFS) - ~150GB

Can't be bothered to format XP to get Windows 7 atm. Too much things i'd have to back up from this hard drive -- too many things to redownload as well :(

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
it is far superior to vista, i have it running on my netbook, and it is quick, speedy and very reliable, i think it is better then windows XP, and vista
It still uses a lot of RAM though. Ive got 4gb so it doesn;t affect me, but ive seen it using at least 700mb at idle. Running firefox and Free download manager while writing this was using 1.04gb... but otherwise its pretty damn good. Way better than vista

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
It still uses a lot of RAM though. Ive got 4gb so it doesn;t affect me, but ive seen it using at least 700mb at idle. Running firefox and Free download manager while writing this was using 1.04gb... but otherwise its pretty damn good. Way better than vista
RAM wise mine is only using 809MB with F3 open with a few Tabs, Windows live messenger, and windows explorer open, aero and all the pretty stuff on

HSC
hmm, just wondering i heard that vista is quite okey it just a problem because it so different to XP and most people don't like it, beside the speed and amount of ram it uses, does it have any good features???

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
hmm, just wondering i heard that vista is quite okey it just a problem because it so different to XP and most people don't like it, beside the speed and amount of ram it uses, does it have any good features???
If you've got a PC that can hack it, then DirectX 10 is a good feature, and it generally boots up quickly and the looks are okay, i guess. Also, the display drivers aren't run in the core of the OS, meaning if you have a display driver crash (something vista tends to do frequently, from what i hear), you don't have to rebbot the PC. Also, if you install a new graphics driver, you also don't have to reboot - something that annoyed me in XP.

But personally, if you havn't got vista and are considering an upgrade, don't bother. Either wait for the full version of Windows 7 to come out or grab the RC.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
I have a Toshiba Satellite A300/500 Laptop. It did have Vista 32-bit on it...

I formatted completely, for however long that took (I left it overnight)... from booting up and starting the installation I was on the net in 15 minutes. I had all my hardware except my recording interface, and all my games and programs installed in the first hour...

Runs faster, cleaner, uses less battery and is more stable and secure than Vista and XP. Gets better framerates for my games (granted I did go from x86 to x64...)

not sure, because i downloaded windows 7 beta 64-bit (my laptop has 4gb ram and a 64bit compatible OS), but i found it didnt run as quick as my vista ultimate 32bit (came with laptop), and i'd rather not bother with reinstalling drivers and games and transferring uni files and movies etc.

so i probably wont try it out, but depends on how others find it.
That's quite strange... what is your laptop. I have a MUCH faster boot time and a much faster running PC with the 64bit RC over 32-bit Vista.

Jumb:

I recently bought a new computer and installed the Windows 7, 64-bit version. I've found a number of compatibility issues, but they are problems that are also in 64-bit Vista. My old computer had XP, so I'm enjoying the update.</SPAN>
What have your compatability issues been? If it's program issues try running the XP Virtual Machine... or use 32-bit because the issues are more than likely people not writing 64-bit drivers for lots of hardware. I run my recording interface through the Virtual Machine (because there are no 64-bt drivers for it) and it works great!

i might make a partition and try it out.

i need xp for a cad program i'll be using next year at uni, so i'll barely need over 2-3 gigs for that, and in my main hdd i have some games (burnout paradise, dont wanna lose that save file, and other smaller games, like banjo kazooie, dont wanna lose that save file either, once exams finish i'll be installing some new games, stalker clear sky, dark sector, and the new riddick), so i might split my second harddrive (currently is 115gb), give 5gb for XP, and the rest for Windows 7 RC.

...thats if i can even bother, dunno if i should tho, vista ultimate 32bit is going perfectly fine for me..

would games run better in W7 64bit?
Games run better yes... unless they're MUCH older games... at which point I'd dual boot with XP, simply because Games don't work well with Virtual Machines... but for the cad program... use a VM... because Cad programs are notoriously hard to remove... that way you can just delete the VHDD.

Windows 7 uses approximately the same RAM as Vista... but not for the same reasons. It's designed to essentially pre-load heavily used programs... I won't go into how... but iTunes boots in 3 seconds not 15...

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
windows vista uses much more ram then windows 7, like check out this attachment i am using:
- Live messenger
- Firefox
-word
-excel
-itunes
-photo gallery

and i am using like 850MB of RAM on windows vista i used much much more ram for less programs

Omie Jay

gone
HSC
That's quite strange... what is your laptop. I have a MUCH faster boot time and a much faster running PC with the 64bit RC over 32-bit Vista.

Games run better yes... unless they're MUCH older games... at which point I'd dual boot with XP, simply because Games don't work well with Virtual Machines... but for the cad program... use a VM... because Cad programs are notoriously hard to remove... that way you can just delete the VHDD.
yea boot time was quite quick with W7, but apart from that i didnt find it any different to vista 32bit.
my laptop has 2.53ghz dual core centrino 2, 4gb ram, 512mb ati graphics.
i play the latest games, i remember when i had the W7 64bit beta i installed assassins creed on it and it ran exactly the same as it did on vista 32bit.
itunes loading in 5 seconds seems cool, but as i said, cbf with reinstalling games/drivers/itunes/other software/transferring all my uni stuff and all my general stuff, laptop's fine as it is.
i'll just make a 5gb XP partition for my cad.

btw im fairly computer literate, so im sure i'd be able to work out how to remove the cad program :), plus i have this tuneup utility which, apart from tuning up my lappy, can completely remove/shred any program/files i want, so yeah.

whats VM?

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
go to where you want to post it, then new thread (where the post reply button is now.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A
yea boot time was quite quick with W7, but apart from that i didnt find it any different to vista 32bit.
my laptop has 2.53ghz dual core centrino 2, 4gb ram, 512mb ati graphics.
i play the latest games, i remember when i had the W7 64bit beta i installed assassins creed on it and it ran exactly the same as it did on vista 32bit.
itunes loading in 5 seconds seems cool, but as i said, cbf with reinstalling games/drivers/itunes/other software/transferring all my uni stuff and all my general stuff, laptop's fine as it is.
i'll just make a 5gb XP partition for my cad.

btw im fairly computer literate, so im sure i'd be able to work out how to remove the cad program :), plus i have this tuneup utility which, apart from tuning up my lappy, can completely remove/shred any program/files i want, so yeah.

whats VM?
VM=Virtual machine

Gibbatron

HSC
N/A
Windows 7 uses approximately the same RAM as Vista... but not for the same reasons. It's designed to essentially pre-load heavily used programs... I won't go into how... but iTunes boots in 3 seconds not 15...
Vista did have a service that did that... maybe not as efficiently though, or something, idk but i think 7 generally has less processes running that Vista, as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)