Women's Room (1 Viewer)

YasminP

HSC
Hi all, first post but I've been lurking here for a few weeks.

Found out today that there is apparently a women's room somewhere on campus with a microwave and lounges, etc. Although I'm a woman I think it is strange that there would be one of these but not a men's room somewhere else.

I'm not saying this is a whopping issue because it's only a room and individuals probably only use it semi-regularly at the most. But surely in the interests of equality we should be trying to get away from even the slightest hints of gender exclusion and discrimination like these, rather than propelling them?

I probably will use the room at times, but in a way I almost feel embarrassed and hypocritical after the years people have spent campaigning for equality.. Then here I am taking advantage of something that exists only because of gender exclusion... Seeing that to my knowledge we have equal access everywhere on campus (excluding men's bathrooms) why SHOULD we benefit from this exclusive women's room? We are also equally able to do well in our subjects, run for SRC elections etc, so in the year 2010 what benefits do the men experience on campus that we don't get?

I've been thinking this over since I found out about it earlier.

Interested in your thoughts / comments?

bio_nut

HSC
If you don't think we should have it, don't use it.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
It's because women are the biggest whingers on the face of the planet. If they started a Men's room, chances are it would be open to women as well because they're stupid bitches like that.

YasminP

HSC
I probably won't use it very much. More because I don't see myself really needing to rather than because I don't think we should have it. I might use it sometimes.

But my opinion wasn't that I don't think we should have it and I wasn't criticising it, I wanted to hear different opinions on why we should / shouldn't. I'm at this point undecided. Just found it weird seeing something like this these days!

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
Whoa, you guys (girls) get a women's room? I think I actually remember hearing about this the other day but passed it off as a joke about political correctness. Queer room and international student's lounge as well? Man, I think the minority seems to be the straight guys here. :p

Aah well I guess if they feel it's vital for 'equality' or 'safety' then whatever... Although the way the girl I spoke to the other day talked about it, it seemed more like she just went there to sleep and cook food than hide and find safety from all those awful knife-wielding men outside.

HSC
Aah well I guess if they feel it's vital for 'equality' or 'safety' then whatever... Although the way the girl I spoke to the other day talked about it, it seemed more like she just went there to sleep and cook food than hide and find safety from all those awful knife-wielding men outside.
I know from other uni's that have Women's Rooms they are only ever used for their microwaves and as a space to breastfeed children.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
I know from other uni's that have Women's Rooms they are only ever used for their microwaves and as a space to breastfeed children.
Breast-feeding to me sounds reasonable and perfectly understandable, but then I guess the argument would then be that parent rooms or whatever they have everywhere else would be suitable. But yeah, it seems like something that may have at first been a necessity for women, with uni being so male-dominated in the past, is now just being taken advantage of for reasons totally unrelated to feminism/safety etc. But ahh well I guess.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
where is this womens room? i want to use those microwaves dammit

do u need an access card to use it? lol

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
There are microwaves everywhere. Law building has those kitchenettes with microwave, kettle and cups that everyone can use.

TheFush

HSC
Does this mythical woman's room even exist? And where?

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
ahh. too far away from all my classes. is there some other microwaves somewhere? preferably near eastern ave & wentworth or something?

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
ahh. too far away from all my classes. is there some other microwaves somewhere? preferably near eastern ave & wentworth or something?
There are microwaves on the bottom floor of wentworth.

Not sure if you'd want to use them, though.

bio_nut

HSC
Love that I now get hot food cooked for me instead of a chocolate bar and coffee for lunch, hehe.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)