• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

World Youth Day 08 (1 Viewer)

WYD08

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
JaredR said:
Yes I don't like my tax dollars going to it either...

In fact I don't like getting penalty rates on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Christmas Day.

(Please detect sarcasm)

Deal with it, you enjoy the benefits of Christianity right down to the fact that you get Sundays off or at penalty rates and that you have the opportunity to attend better educational institutions thanks to private (often Christian) schools.
And by Christianity and Christian holidays, you actually mean pagan holidays that have been the same for milennia.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Kwayera said:
And by Christianity and Christian holidays, you actually mean pagan holidays that have been the same for milennia.
because without Christianity we would be slaughtering babies every Easter Sunday rite?

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
oh and if one use of money is poor, than an even worse use of that money is therefore acceptable.
Not saying that, I'm saying it's hypocritical to be outraged at this as opposed to spending, for example, $150 million (so far, could greatly increase) on invisible fighter planes. Although I suppose it's subjective...maybe the majority of people opposed to the government contributing money to a Christian event are in strong support of spending almost double on an unnecessary upgrade?

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Aren't you assuming though, that most people are in favour of Government spending, just because the Government does it and says its what people want doesnt make it true. E.g. the proposed tax cuts, something like 90% said they'd prefer it spent on better services.

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
bazookajoe said:
Not saying that, I'm saying it's hypocritical to be outraged at this as opposed to spending, for example, $150 million (so far, could greatly increase) on invisible fighter planes. Although I suppose it's subjective...maybe the majority of people opposed to the government contributing money to a Christian event are in strong support of spending almost double on an unnecessary upgrade?
As far as $ go, I really don't think the outrage is too justified... It should be more a question of whether this is the sort of event we want to have in our city, is it worth the disruption and does it benefit enough of the community?

*Minka*

HSC
No way.

There is not much I hate in this world more than the Catholic Church.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
CharlieB said:
because without Christianity we would be slaughtering babies every Easter Sunday rite?
Lol hey lets go bashing those crazy old Pagan holidays that were so awesome and universal that the Christians took them over. Jesus wasn't even Biblically born in December; it was something like three months earlier.

Islamofascist

HSC
N/A
This is government discrimination! Why should they spend so much money on the Christians! Islam is the 2nd biggest religion in the world and if Australia wants to be more inviting they should be spending money like this on helping our Muslim brothers come to Australia not on the filthy Catholic Church. I will not attend unless it is to protest

bazookajoe

Shy Guy
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
I for one, can tell you that I oppose the spending on this Christian bollocks as well as wasted expenditure on defence. In fact I'm a strong advocate of massive cuts to our defence budget.
Yeah ditto, but I'm not that opposed to this just because I think the amount of money coming back sort of makes up for the spending.

Enteebee said:
As far as $ go, I really don't think the outrage is too justified... It should be more a question of whether this is the sort of event we want to have in our city, is it worth the disruption and does it benefit enough of the community?
Yeah I don't think it benefits us much at all tbh

melsc said:
Aren't you assuming though, that most people are in favour of Government spending, just because the Government does it and says its what people want doesnt make it true. E.g. the proposed tax cuts, something like 90% said they'd prefer it spent on better services.
Yeah but I don't remember there being this much outrage over government spending before, but I don't really keep up with the news so I could be missing something completely obvious. How much did we spend for APEC?

boris

Banned
HSC
Jesus wasnt even born in like 1AD either, it was something like 7AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)