World Youth Day (1 Viewer)

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
1. The Bible was written by people
2. It wasn't written until several decades after Christ, and the official version (which books were canon or not) wasn't settled until several centuries after Christ
3. It makes no sense if you read it 100% literally in modern English without the historical context
4. evangelical Biblical literalists ignore all the tradition (unlike Catholics or Orthodox) that was just as much a part of Christianity as the Bible
oh and
5. Serious Biblical scholars who do know about the history of the books and the times they were written in don't seem to think they mean the same things as the fundies seem to think they mean... wonder who's right? :D

Last edited:

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
1. The Bible was written by people
the people who were eye witnesses (well in the gospels anyway) other then that is still the word of God

captain Gh3y said:
2. It wasn't written until several decades after Christ, and the official version (which books were canon or not) wasn't settled until several centuries after Christ
not the case at all

captain Gh3y said:
3. It makes no sense if you read it 100% literally in modern English without the historical context
i disagree although knowing when it was written can help to understand it and how it applies today, but you can still get the main point

captain Gh3y said:
4. evangelical Biblical literalists ignore all the tradition (unlike Catholics or Orthodox) that was just as much a part of Christianity as the Bible
only the unbiblical ones, like i know my church has communion e.t.c.

captian Gh3y said:
oh and
5. Serious Biblical scholars who do know about the history of the books and the times they were written in don't seem to think they mean the same things as the fundies seem to think they mean... wonder who's right? :D
i disagree and what is wrong with your own interpretation of the bible as long is it actually biblical and you can are getting the big picture, we constantly look at the history of the books to assist in understanding which does involve looking to biblical scholars

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
not the case at all
No, Captain Ghey is actually correct. (refer to pwar's post in the thread which got closed last night).

Anyway, in the third third and finally the fourth century the Church Council began to issue decisions on what constituted the canon of the Scriptures (and discarded those which weren't aligned with the Word of God ie - those which weren't canonical). The final, definitive and absolute list was not made until the 16th century.

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
CharlieB said:
No, Captain Ghey is actually correct. (refer to pwar's post in the thread which got closed last night).

Anyway, in the third third and finally the fourth century the Church Council began to issue decisions on what constituted the canon of the Scriptures (and discarded those which weren't aligned with the Word of God ie - those which weren't canonical). The final, definitive and absolute list was not made until the 16th century.
i meant that it was written decades after the death of christ sorry

HSC
ooome and my fanily were gonna host some of the people whom come here from round the globe... were not religous or anythng just thought it would be nice ... but dad said no said it would be wierd for the strangers to be at our house, as they would have to be on fold out beds, and dad said that, the fold out beds wernt good enuf
sooo... yer tats my woffle

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
.:AmBeR.SmItH:. said:
ooome and my fanily were gonna host some of the people whom come here from round the globe... were not religous or anythng just thought it would be nice ... but dad said no said it would be wierd for the strangers to be at our house, as they would have to be on fold out beds, and dad said that, the fold out beds wernt good enuf
fold out beds are great!

I have four people who are staying at my place and they are going to be sleeping on my living room floor.

As long as they have roof over their heads and somewhere warm to sleep they will be fine.

Reyn Reyn

HSC
N/A
heys, i'm going to wyd.
you don't have to pay to go to the final mass,
but the people who have paid and registered get first priority.

CharlieB

?uestlove
HSC
Reyn Reyn said:
heys, i'm going to wyd.
you don't have to pay to go to the final mass,
but the people who have paid and registered get first priority.
yep! It's all cleared up on the wyd website now.

lol i just found this

UNSW Aheist Society said:
The UNSW Aheist Society is hosting an epic WCYD raid on the 17th of July, 2008. It will be the Society’s response to an event that is costing NSW millions of dollars.

The Society has a few plans for the event, but needs attendees of the raid to help out with the following;

1. Obtaining 1000-2000 condoms, National Council of Women Contraception Pamplets, and Abortion Advice Booklets to hand out to Catholics at the entrance to the racecourse;
  2. Covering the city with satirical media, and infiltrating the media with our words of protest; and
  3. Holding an Alternative 'World Heathen Day' event on the day after our raid to celebrate.

The Society is looking for a few hundred helpers for this and are asking you to invite anyone and everyone you can. They’ll set up an executive and planning teams in the next few weeks. Many meetings will be held at UNSW and USyd.

also their condom supplier just dropped out haha

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
CharlieB said:
yep! It's all cleared up on the wyd website now.

lol i just found this

also their condom supplier just dropped out haha
How pathetic....

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
goddamnit the evangelicals "catholics aren't christians" thing pisses me off

THEY'RE THE REAL CHRISTIANS YOU LUNATICS
then what of the Great Schism?

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
emytaylor164 said:
also one of the ones furthest from the bible,

btw the reason i do not support wyd is cos of plenary indulgences been offered (search that on the wyd site) completely unbiblical
Well according to you I'm going to hell so I take what you have to say with a grain of salt. Be off on your merry preaching ways, try and save a few more souls! At least the Catholics don't have to market for members.

JaredR

Save Sderot
HSC
.:AmBeR.SmItH:. said:
Catholic classrooms are going to be filled with pilgrims sleeping on the floors and in halls. I know of one instance where a hall (wooden floored, no air conditioning) will be filled with pilgrims. Now that's penance!

emytaylor164

HSC
N/A
The oldest ones found were written almost straight after christs death.
The newer ones, are almost identical to the old ones other then spelling mistakes

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
I don't think anyone would dispute the Gospels were second or third hand accounts written around 60-110AD :D
Wrong. Of the synoptic gospels, Matthew and John were eponymously named after two of Jesus' original disciples. The Gospels of Mark and Luke were written around 60AD, not long after Jesus was crucified and resurrected.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
PwarYuex said:
...What about it? :-/
Well in response to
Captain Gh3y said:
goddamnit the evangelicals "catholics aren't christians" thing pisses me off

THEY'RE THE REAL CHRISTIANS YOU LUNATICS
Obviously the orthodox churches had a point of disagreement to have made the decision to split off from the supposed "real christians". I don't know what point he's trying to make.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
Exphate said:
He's wrong...but you agree?
:S
I never agreed. I simply brought up the dates as a response to the implication that the gospels were introduced long after Jesus' life on Earth, which is clearly not the case.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)