Would you boycott bali? (1 Viewer)

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
if Corby is found guilty, would u/will u boycott bali?

yes/no? why?

Me: i dunno, i dont think i'd purposely avoid it, but i dont think i'd strive 2 go there either, that judge being interviewed is just wrong, the problem is, they're only half democratic (democratic from a western-US perspective). i.e. indepenat judiciary, but they're from the old system and no jury, so the president cant interfer, but the judges are cold-hearted

sped_kid01

FindWhatIsYet2BeFound
HSC
im going in January!!

so i guess not....

im a little scared of going, because i dont want drugs planted in my bag...but at the same time, i still feel safe!

u also have 2 think of the balinese people, they lose out BIG time when there are no tourists!!! and lots of them are already very poor

Comrade nathan

HSC
they're only half democratic (democratic from a western-US perspective
Their law system is based on a Western law system, Dutch and French i think. It's actually still in use in some cases in Europe. They had some professor from an Australian uni who has knowledge on the law of countries of the South East Asian area.

so the president cant interfer
So you think it would be more democratic if the President could just intervene whenever he could.

Hey here is a better idea we just give the president the power to do what the hell he likes. Im sure giving the president more powers is the way to democracy.

but the judges are cold-hearted
This is just stupid. What country would be proud to have lovey dovey judges, aren't judges mean to hard?

Its quite funny you people who watch all that sensenalist bull crap on TV. You only care about because it is a white pretty women from Australia.

If it had of been a fat Aboringal male you would be screaming death penalty and calling him a idiot.

Can you people for once think straight and not get emotional.

Last edited:

jennylim

HSC
townie said:
they're from the old system and no jury, so the president cant interfer
answer: probably not

but presidents interfering??? i thought that would be a hallmark of democracy!! you know, separate branches of power and so on...

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
u've misinterpreted me, i dont mean in a democratic system the president should interfere, in a non-democratic one, they can, but they arent like thata anymore, my point is from a UNITED STATES (or Australian) WESTERNER perspective, they're not totally democratic state either, so Corby is stuck in the midddle, in the old system, the president would probably just interfere, so she gets off, in a full US-western system, a jury would probably let her off, but she's in neither of those positions.

so, yeah, just 2 clarify my post, sorry 4 any confusion

Monkey Butler

Pray For Mojo
HSC
The inquisitorial system is still used in Europe today. It's no better or worse than the adversarial system (actually, I'd argue that it's better, bu it does have it's fair share of problems) and is in no way undemocratic.

I wouldn't boycott Bali just because of the verdict of the Corby case. Whether she is found guilty or not would not be the issue for me, it would be how safe I would feel in leaving my bags unattended. I'd probably put locks on all my bags or whatever, but I wouldn't not go just because she was found guilty.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
What annoys me is that everyone is saying she is innocent without knowing any of the evidence. Even the other night when they did the "innocent or guilty, you decide" they didn't say anything about the guilty argument . The guilty argument actually turned out to be more of an argument that she was innocent.

Of course she is going to say she is innocent.
Of course the Australian media is going to say she is innocent.
Unless you have the right information you can't say "she's innocent I will boycott Bali"

They have 3 witnesses at customs in Bali that say when they asked to search her bag she opened the top section, but when the customs guy tried to open the section with the drugs she tried to stop him.

Until we get some unbias information people need to stop saying she is innocent.

Riewe

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
What annoys me is that everyone is saying she is innocent without knowing any of the evidence. Even the other night when they did the "innocent or guilty, you decide" they didn't say anything about the guilty argument . The guilty argument actually turned out to be more of an argument that she was innocent.

Of course she is going to say she is innocent.
Of course the Australian media is going to say she is innocent.
Unless you have the right information you can't say "she's innocent I will boycott Bali"

They have 3 witnesses at customs in Bali that say when they asked to search her bag she opened the top section, but when the customs guy tried to open the section with the drugs she tried to stop him.

Until we get some unbias information people need to stop saying she is innocent.
What about innocent until proven guilty? And there is one key fact that is missing, and that is the weight of the bag before and after. This would definitely sway me one way or the other, but as it is, i'm sticking with innocent until guilty.

llamalope

yes, they're my legs.
Left BOS (somewhat temporarily) on 29/12/05 to ret
HSC
what I DON"T GET is why people are traveling to bali just to go and visit her in gaol. I think that's kind of sick in a way, because it's like she is an exhibit at a zoo or something. Leave her alone for goodness sake. We don't know if she's guilty OR innocent, and most probably we never will.

But as it is, I am wary of going to indonesia, thailand, singapore and I have been for a while, because I just don't trust other people in international airports....and the security guards look so scary! But I wouldn't purposely avoid them...

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Asquithian said:
OMG she is an aussie...she is crying...the judge is an asian...omg she is innocent!
I agree with Asq's sarcastic statement. The Corby case is no reason to become a martyr.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
ill boycott it for my drug smuggling enterprise for sure... its bullshit that you get in trouble with the law for trying to smuggle pot... pffft

but no the waves are too good to boycott bali

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
AtticusFinch said:
ill boycott it for my drug smuggling enterprise for sure... its bullshit that you get in trouble with the law for trying to smuggle pot... pffft
Drugs are worth more in Australia anyway.

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
townie said:

yes/no? why?

Me: i dunno, i dont think i'd purposely avoid it, but i dont think i'd strive 2 go there either, that judge being interviewed is just wrong, the problem is, they're only half democratic (democratic from a western-US perspective). i.e. indepenat judiciary, but they're from the old system and no jury, so the president cant interfer, but the judges are cold-hearted
Why would anyone boycott Bali.....I support the judges decision 100%, and if she is found guilty then that would be absolutely great.

Comrade nathan

HSC
Asquithian said:
OMG she is an aussie...she is crying...the judge is an asian...omg she is innocent!
So true. I would rep you if i could.

I think this is a interest case for the study of the mentality of the White people in Australia.

Did anyone watch media watch the other day?

They heavely criticised the show that was on NBN about Corby. A few days earlier NBN had a poll and it came out 94% think she is innocent. So from then on NBN knew that they should run the show from a innoncent perspective.

Jumbo Cactuar

Argentous Fingers
HSC
On one hand we have Corby who may die if found guilty and there is an outcry and people are sending death threats.

On the otherhand we propose that we allow torture to death from anyone who is suspected to be hiding information.

We will see how long each issue is a talking point.

One person's freedom-fighter is another's terrorist. Are we soon to become a national hypocrisy.

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
townie said:

yes/no? why?
No. But then again i never really considered going to bali in the first place...

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
all you people criticising people for thinking she's innocent, whilst thinking she's guilty are something....whats that word...hmm...let me think, oh, thats right, hypocrite's.

the only people who have the right to criticise are those that hold no position, and are objective

Last edited:

iamsickofyear12

HSC
townie said:
all you people criticising people for thinking she's innocent, whilst thinking she's guilty are something....whats that word...hmm...let me think, oh, thats right, hypocrite's.
There is evidence that shows she is guilty. You just don't know about it because of the bias Australian media.

spell check

HSC
of course she is innocent

any reasonable person can see that

people only believe she is guilty because they want to believe that

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
yeah i saw media watch, was quite good

the thing is i am not sure she is innocent, but i do not beleive that the prosecution proved that she was guilty beyond all doubt i have doubts about a lot of the stuff used as "evidence".

heres the stuff i am worried about in the case:

police hanlding of evidence, in particular not fingerprinting the drug bag
interogation methods used by Indonesian police
the translating service provided for Corby
witnesses
the assumed guilty, must prove innocent mentality
lack of jury[ i dunno if iam right about this one. some1 correct me plz]
police corruption in regards to bribes
suggested bias by judges in regards to the defendant being white, pretty etc think " i am not going to give her a break just because she is pretty, infact i will give her a hard time to appear more just"]
records at airport in aus not kept for standard amount of time contrary to current policy[ detailing check in weight of her bag] i would like to see some1 get fired over this

all these problems add up, it gives me the idea that the legal system in Indonesia isnt all that just, and if Corbys case was heard in an Australian law court then she would be found innocent as not proven guilty beyond all doubt, either that or the case would be cleaner, as police over here are more professional, not open to bribes and also, luckily, happen to fingerprint evidence and not tamper with it

no i wouldnt exactly boycott bali, but if i was considering a holiday and bali was one of my options, i would not look on it in a favourable light and prefer to go somewhere else instead. would be very cool to boycott bali though, might put the squeeze on indonesia, force them to overhaul their legal system amd make bali a more attractive destination perhaps? maybe even force a war? that would be very cool

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)