• Yes

Votes: 82 56.2%
  • No

Votes: 64 43.8%

• Total voters

Captain pi

HSC
glycerine said:
i don't remember the exact 'cutoff' but i think it's through the first trimester (ie 12 weeks).…
If I remember correctly: in NSW, abortions are technically illegal (Crimes Act 1900 (NSW): §§ 82, 83, 84); in practice, however, they are not enforced. The question of whether an abortion will be performed is at the discretion of the administering physician.

As to the question of abortion, I ask those opposed to abortion to answer me this: why is life (or human life) sacred? or: why should life (or human life) be protected?

To those who support abortion: why is the joy of sexual intercourse or the pleasure in having choice in one's actions superior to the potential happiness of a child?

Appendix​

It's also worth noting that many people have made assumptions about universal ethics. It is worth recalling the two divisions of ethics:

Consequentialism
Consequentialism is an ethical position that states that an action's ethical status (i.e. whether it is moral) is determined by the consequences (or expected consequences, or consideration of the probability of all consequences) of that action.
(Note: this is not a position wherein "You must suffer the consequences."; it is a position where, if an action produces an unfavourable result, it is considered unethical.)

Utilitarianism
A popular strand of consequentialism is utilitarianism. This position holds that an action is ethical if and only if it produces the maximum happiness for all. Of course, there are two difficulties with applying utilitarianism: the definitions of "happiness" and "for all". Especially relevant to this debate is the definition of "for all"—since inclusion or exclusion of the foetus would seriously sway the conclusion.

Deontological Ethics
Deontological systems of ethics are systems whereby the ethical status of an action is determined by its adherence to a set of rules (for a good example, the Ten Commandments). These rules can never be transgressed, even when the expected ethical payout is infinite; (this last clause is the distinguishing feature beween deontology and consequentialism).

The main problem with deontology is in the origin of that set of rules. It would be convenient if they came from some omniscient or omnisapient being; but this cannot always be guaranteed! Generally, deontological ethics have some consequentialism foundation; for instance, we may argue like this:
  1. People who drive cars at 200 km/h in a school zone will probably cause the death of a child.
  2. We must censure actions which cause children to be killed
  3. Therefore, we must censure whomsoever drives at 200km/h in a school zone.
Notice that this syllogism is not entirely valid. The transitive "actions which cause children to be killed", which allows us to make a conclusion, was actually "[action] will probably cause the death of a child". This is a slight flaw in deontological ethics being consistent; (nevertheless, a consequentialist may support a deontological form of ethics (i.e. a legal system) to make ethical decisions more efficient).

I might post some consequentialist arguments and deontological syllogisms up later. It's still worth considering the above.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
To the anti abortionists, let me summarise my argument. There are 3 possible stances:
1. You do not support the abortion of rape victims' babies, in which case you support forcing them to spend 9 months with that in their system as a constant reminder.
2. You support the abortion of rape victims' babies, and since killing a foetus is murder in your eyes, you therefore support murder of an innocent.
3. You accept that abortion is not murder, and hence have a morally tenable position by supporting it.

YBK

w00t! custom status!! :D
HSC
withoutaface said:
1. You do not support the abortion of rape victims' babies, in which case you support forcing them to spend 9 months with that in their system as a constant reminder.
That is my stance.

YBK

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
Are you religious by any chance?
Yes, I'm catholic.

But my position on this topic is due to some research and my moral values.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
YBK said:
Yes, I'm catholic.

But my position on this topic is due to some research and my moral values.
No your position is based on your religion, it's obvious... What sort of research have you done? I mean you say it is due to your moral values... for me when I looked into this, I was worried about pain... after doing some research, I came to the realisation that there is no pain, no self awareness - nothing.

I'm just wondering which criteria you are using to assess your research.

YBK

HSC
Not-That-Bright said:
No your position is based on your religion, it's obvious... What sort of research have you done? I mean you say it is due to your moral values... for me when I looked into this, I was worried about pain... after doing some research, I came to the realisation that there is no pain, no self awareness - nothing.

I'm just wondering which criteria you are using to assess your research.

It is not the pain that the baby feels. You could kill a man without causing any pain whatsoever, does that justify it? Also you have to realize that not all all abortions are done perfectly, it's not always painless.

I've already posted in an attempt to justify to you that the fetus is living earlier in this thread.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
It is not the pain that the baby feels. You could kill a man without causing any pain whatsoever, does that justify it? Also you have to realize that not all all abortions are done perfectly, it's not always painless.
Oh I have no trouble really with killing something which has not even begun to be aware of its self or its surroundings... your situation is quite different.

I again still wonder which criteria you are using to assess your research, you say you have researched this issue extensively... what were your criterias? Were you looking to find out whether or not a foetus is a biological human, because it is your belief that all biological humans (same dna) should not be killed? If so, why was that your criteria?

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
YBK said:

I've already posted in an attempt to justify to you that the fetus is living earlier in this thread.

1.) you will never be in the position of being raped and becoming pregnant as a result. yes you may understand the emotional position of a rape victim, that's not limited to one gender, but pregnancy as a result IS. how can you possibly put the wellbeing of an unborn child above that of an already living, breathing human being? if a rape victim chooses to carry the child to term more power to her, but anyone who judges a woman who chooses differently is, simply, a fucking gronk.

2.) ummm you obviously don't know much about abortions as they are performed within the bounds of the law in australia. you know why it's painless? BECAUSE LAWFUL ABORTION OCCURS BEFORE THE CHILD EVEN HAS A PAIN REFLEX! THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE THE *ABILITY* TO FEEL PAIN! the exception to this is a) second and third trimester abortions which are only performed when the risk to the mother's health is exceptional (ie fatal or close to it) and b) illegal abortions performed by non-licensed practicioners. and i don't think anyone champions option b).

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
atm i have no interest for kids or having one, i find them a nuiscance and could not stand having one for myself.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
fuck justin i just sat here for like 5 minutes completely entranced by your icon :s

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Pfft. That icon is old. I'm sure someone else here has had it before. WAF sucks at life.

HSC
I do not know <I>what</i> everyone is talking about now, but yes, I would have an abortion if I was pregnant. It would be devastating for me, but I just can't imagine being able to do the best I can for my baby and myself at 16.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)