Writing an essay when asked to compose an interview/feature article (1 Viewer)

o_0

HSC
And what source did your sister have?
i don't know actually.. hopefully she was just trying to make me worry .

i wish BOS would just fk the '12ers, and just give us a nice, predictable exam

Last edited:

michaeljennings

HSC
i don't know actually.. hopefully she was just trying to make me worry .
Head teacher at my school is enforcing a new policy next year whereby teachers cant accept practice essays from students. This is to stop them from having essays prepared but then again people just have tutors. Not even sure how she would enforce this

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Mod B Questions:
2002: Two people who value your prescribed text in different ways and for different reasons are having a conversation.
Compose their conversation which should include consideration of the structure, language and ideas of the text.

2001: Two readers are arguing about the ending of the prescribed text you have studied.
Compose their discussion. The discussion should demonstrate your critical understanding of the prescribed text.
Thanks for pointing this out. :) I didn't know (or totally forgot) this.

enough speculation. Is it that hard to write a practice in a separate form? If you can be bothered memorising so many essays it shouldn't be an unbelievable effort to write a speech or two. Besides, the analysis is going to be exactly the same.
Nah, it's not difficult. To change an essay into a feature article, about 90% of your essay remains the same. But:

1. Title
2. Byline
3. An anecdote at the beginning of the article.
4. Slight word changes during the paragraphs. The odd rhetorical question here and there.
5. In the conclusion, somehow link it back to the anecdote at the beginning

If you're even bothered, write the article in two columns. Might score you some brownie points.

HSC
Thanks for pointing this out. :) I didn't know (or totally forgot) this.

Nah, it's not difficult. To change an essay into a feature article, about 90% of your essay remains the same. But:

1. Title
2. Byline
3. An anecdote at the beginning of the article.
4. Slight word changes during the paragraphs. The odd rhetorical question here and there.
5. In the conclusion, somehow link it back to the anecdote at the beginning

If you're even bothered, write the article in two columns. Might score you some brownie points.
so what about techniques and effect statements etc, how much emphasis will be on that? (including speeches, interviews...)

jamesfirst

HSC
my older sister warned me that 2011 was the year they were going to completely mess us over, so that for 2012 onwards everyone would be severely discouraged from memorising generic responses .. :/
but everyone always say that every year....

Guys, all these people who say: "this years gonna be different" doesn't know shit... Everyone says that every year and guess what, it's always the same shit every year...

There is no source from which someone can use to say "they are going to fk u over this year"... what is this, back to the future ?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Trolling?

I've also got a feeling they may ask for two related texts for module C in Standard! (Bit of a pattern going on...)
I have a fear that they'll specify one or two like they did in the trial rather than saying "at least" one or two. :/

Oh geez, and here I was thinking English was pointless and hard enough as it was...
inorite. :(

If it's a speech I'll be fine because they're really simple, same with feature articles.
Interviews are meh. Just write your essay from different view points I guess?
But if they ask specifics like "at the end of your prescribed text" I'm fucked because I haven't read Maestro, I skimmed Crucible and then watched the movie that was completely different at the end. The only things I know the whole way through are Billy Elliot (because who doesn't watch movies) and Owen's poems (because there's only 6 poems of 1-2 pages each).

jamesfirst

HSC
write your essay from different view points I guess?
yeah.

Speech: just add dialogues but keep your main essay. lol

Feature article: just add headings to your essay. lol

Interview: add dialogues... i dont know how to write an interview.

"at the end of your prescribed text"
I dont think they ever do that...

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Speech: just add dialogues but keep your main essay. lol
Feature article: just add headings to your essay. lol
Interview: add dialogues... i dont know how to write an interview.
Yeah, and "Imagine this..." and rhetorical questions.
And rhetorical q's and dotpoint shit and shit.
And have like "Speaker 1:"
"Speaker 2:"
"Speaker 1:"
Etc.

I dont think they ever do that...
One of the examples above or on the previous page had it. :/

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
so what about techniques and effect statements etc, how much emphasis will be on that? (including speeches, interviews...)
Still a lot of emphasis on techniques. Remember, the content that you would've written for an essay, should still be written for the feature article. Don't forget, whilst there may be 4 marks dedicated to the formatting of your feature article, and how good (in terms of structure) your feature article is, don't forget 16 marks are dedicated to the content (as per an essay). So you'll need those quotes, those techniques, and those explanations.

I have no idea what an effect statement is though.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
No heading than ?
I meant, you have to do much much more than just change the heading. If all you do is add a title, without changing any bit of your essay, you're pretty fucked.

themanman

HSC
N/A
I meant, you have to do much much more than just change the heading. If all you do is add a title, without changing any bit of your essay, you're pretty fucked.
So what exactly is the structure of a feature article?

Can someone link me to one?

I read your previous post
I do standard, lolz im dumb hurr durr, and whats an anecdote?

Zeroes

HSC
I've heard (from my English teacher) that if you don't answer the question properly (i.e. ignore the text type) the maximum mark you can get is in the C band.

krnofdrg

Mq Law Student :)
HSC
Uni Grad
I've heard (from my English teacher) that if you don't answer the question properly (i.e. ignore the text type) the maximum mark you can get is in the C band.
Nah they cap it at 15/20... if you write an excellent response despite the text type and question!!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
That's a bit harsh, in my opinion, a C-band is a 12/13, which is a bit low. However, definitely, you'd get capped at 16 or 15. No evidence, just speculation/experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)