Xbox One vs. PS4 (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
What are you leaning towards? Already made up your mind? Why or why not? Buying on release?
Probably niether - I think I've well and truly passed the whole gaming phase. I regretted getting my PS3 in 2008 because I was sort of getting over the whole gaming thing at that point. It will be interesting to see what they come up with next in terms of games and stuff though.

I think what puts me off is the little things. E.g. Both times I've moved houses myself its been a good 2-4 weeks before Internet gets reconnected. During that time having a working console was the best.

But it's not my primary concern, Xbox would have had to really wow me to make me switch anyway
I never imagined you as a gamer Townie.

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
I've been playing games for 20 years and they are still fun.

Tasteless

HSC
Representing the BoS Geriatric Brigade.

Is it really that unusual for someone in their early 20s to be over games?
idk, depends entirely on individual i guess and probably how much they liked games earlier in lyf

but im just talking about your ~general world view~ and misc things you've said

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
to be fair a lot of the time someone lent games to someone at school/uni the person they would lend it to would in turn lend it to someone else and you would get the disc back afterwards. The 10 people thing could get used up incredibly quickly, not to mention that a fair few people do tend to buy pre-owned games and via the previous system the Xbox One had, you pretty much had to sell the game back and its sold as a brand new game to the next person, essentially meaning you are paying full price for what was ultimately a pre-owned game.

I'm not saying cloud gaming is a bad idea at all, for example i think it would be awesome to go overseas and be able to log into your account and play your games from back home. Then again, if this was really a massive concern its not that hard to save your game data onto an SD card or USB and take that and the disc with you overseas.

It's just that for some situations the current system of simply lending your mate a disk is just as convenient and the fact that you aren't restricted to just a pool of 10 people with whom you can share this game and the fact that if you want a game you have the option of getting a pre-owned copy at less cost means quite a few gamers prefer this system.
All very valid points. I wasn't saying this was a dumb model, I was just looking forward to a different experience in gaming. There is an absurd amount of potential being wasted because people don't want to pay full price for games. Then they complain about the measures taken in order to make that come about.

Yeah Christian, I don't see why having cloud gaming should require overly restrictive DRM. Why couldn't you have games in the cloud but still be able to share them in the same way as a disc?
The reason being that they want to control access in order to be able to create necessary change. If you could guarantee that every user of the game you sell would be connected to the internet, it gives plenty of incentive for developers to create games that operate in a much more advanced way. You can still do it (and Microsoft say they are), but you can sure as shit guarantee that no AAA title will ever utilise the cloud if it means a tank in their sales. People will avoid titles that require a constant connection to play, so even smaller developers will avoid it because they'll get even less sales than the AAA would. Where's the incentive for anyone to do anything fundamentally different?

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
also, interesting to note that whilst sony lambasted microsoft for a lot of their stuff, they adopted microsoft's "you have to pay for online" thing for the ps4.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
All very valid points. I wasn't saying this was a dumb model, I was just looking forward to a different experience in gaming. There is an absurd amount of potential being wasted because people don't want to pay full price for games. Then they complain about the measures taken in order to make that come about.

The reason being that they want to control access in order to be able to create necessary change. If you could guarantee that every user of the game you sell would be connected to the internet, it gives plenty of incentive for developers to create games that operate in a much more advanced way. You can still do it (and Microsoft say they are), but you can sure as shit guarantee that no AAA title will ever utilise the cloud if it means a tank in their sales. People will avoid titles that require a constant connection to play, so even smaller developers will avoid it because they'll get even less sales than the AAA would. Where's the incentive for anyone to do anything fundamentally different?
If companies can't make money off selling games new then perhaps they should be charging more for them first time around?

I think you're misunderstanding me a bit. Always on for the fundamental purpose of gameplay =/= always on for the purposes of DRM and not being able to re-sell/gift your game. I'm fine with the former (although I think you'd be mad not to include *some* offline access), I'm not fine with the latter.

Emily Howard

HSC
think im gonna wait for me sista to hav kids

den i will b a cool uncle benny cos ill game wit the lil shits

dats a lie ill make them watch me and hebitch slap them if they try to take a turn

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
also, interesting to note that whilst sony lambasted microsoft for a lot of their stuff, they adopted microsoft's "you have to pay for online" thing for the ps4.
yep, zero mention of this as well by anyone which is incredible
If companies can't make money off selling games new then perhaps they should be charging more for them first time around?
You're right and they're already doing exactly that. That's why games are currently at the price they are. It's due to including the re-sell factor that is afforded to consumers.
I think you're misunderstanding me a bit. Always on for the fundamental purpose of gameplay =/= always on for the purposes of DRM and not being able to re-sell/gift your game. I'm fine with the former (although I think you'd be mad not to include *some* offline access), I'm not fine with the latter.
Oh, I see what you mean. Nah always online isn't necessary for that at all, you're right. Only like 2 release date titles are doing that afaik. I'm going to buy at least one of them to see how it turns out.

InfinityL

HSC
I'm leaning towards the PS4, coz it is cheaper ($100 cheaper i think), looks better in my opinion (Xbox One looks more like a set-top box lol), the controller seems bigger than last time (which is a total RELIEVE) and hopefully it won't have the problems Xbox has; like the RROD or ugly&fat power brick!!!!!

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Also read up on Playstation Plus recently and it seems like a great deal compared to XBL Gold.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
ps4, xbox 1
4-1=3
Ps3 confirmed.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
You just...murdered the joke...

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
You are both being rather silly

Back on topic, imo on the software front im not as enthused by the ps4 even though it looks to be the dominant console in terms of hardware

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)