XP sp2 released (3 Viewers)

mojako

HSC
Merethrond said:
What do you mean? When I go to update, it only comes up with 75 MB for me:confused:.
ur not downloading the "network version"
network version is a file which can be saved on a hard drive (or CD or USB drive)
and can be installed on many computers and can be installed later on if for example you reformat your hard drive

the 75MB file is a download specific to your computer, and if you have 2 computers you will have to download approx 2 x 75 = 150 MB (each computer needs to download... the exact size may be different between 1 computer and the other).

and if you download the 75MB it'll be faster than CD (which may take a few weeks).
but SP2 isnt really different to me :p
only a new firewall

Last edited:

Winston

HSC
mojako said:
but SP2 isnt really different to me :p
only a new firewall
popup blocker?
managing add ons in IE?
DEP?
Better wireless features now

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Major higlights for me :
Better Handwriting Input / Recognition
Wireless network searches
Pop-up Blocker

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Winston said:
What does that stand for:confused:?

Also, do you need SP2 to stop people attacking and gaining access to your computer or whatever all the other critical updates are for, or is it just to add things think like Winston mentioned:confused:? Thanks:).

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
DEP ;
Data Execution Prevention
What does data execution prevention do?
Data execution prevention (DEP) is a set of hardware and software technologies that perform additional checks on memory to help protect against malicious code exploits. In Windows XP SP2, DEP is enforced by both hardware and software.

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Grizzly said:
DEP ;
Data execution prevention (DEP) is a set of hardware and software technologies that perform additional checks on memory to help protect against malicious code exploits. In Windows XP SP2, DEP is enforced by both hardware and software.
I see, thanks:).

Winston

HSC
Grizzly said:
DEP ;

haha sounds copieeed! :p...

yep yep, anyways... SP2 sports alot of changes not so apparent to the user i guess... i mean it depends what kind of user you are, and what particular features you use, otherwise if you're the type who only notices changes aesthetically then SP2 doesn't do you much updates. You want some aesthetic changes? Perhaps getting Media Center Edition 2005 with their new Energy Blue visual style which you can download off the net anyway, this is an official Visual Style released by MS, so it's digitally signed. Anyways... SP2 can be dubbed as a free second edition, it's going to be tied with Windows XP Reloaded, no before you ask, it's not the next second edition of windows, it's basically a marketing strategy to get XP re-hyped up again in the consumer market, there aren't really any big news or rumors of an official Second Edition of Windows anytime soon, MS right now are in process of back porting some of Longhorns Finished technologies for 2003/XP, however again it's no use to the average joe, it's more targeted for the developers.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Yeah, it sounds like Microsoft are getting smarter.
Did you hear about theres ALREADY a virus that has been made for 64bit ? (This was like weeks after it came out)

LOL, thats from the top of my head winston :p

Winston

HSC
Grizzly said:
Yeah, it sounds like Microsoft are getting smarter.
Did you hear about theres ALREADY a virus that has been made for 64bit ? (This was like weeks after it came out)

LOL, thats from the top of my head winston :p
Yeah i heard about the first 64 Bit virus and i heard about the first PPC virus... haha i'm not suprised, it's just the matter of time, it's technology, face it... I mean if Linux does become the sole dominator of desktop PC's i'm so sure we'll see quite a bit of viruses for it too...

mojako

HSC
Winston said:
popup blocker?
managing add ons in IE?
DEP?
Better wireless features now
well... yea.. ;) :p
Pop-up blocker is avalaible from MSN toolbar (from MSN Messenger etc).
I dont use wireless and dont handwrite.
managing IE addons.. hmm.. probably thats useful.. but I enable everything anyway
probably thats useful to remove spyware toolbars :)

>> Also, do you need SP2 to stop people attacking and gaining access to your computer or whatever all the other critical updates are for, or is it just to add things think like Winston mentioned <<
Most of the time, Windows firewall (doesnt need to be from SP2) is enough to stop worms (Blaster etc) and other attacks.
One of the things that SP2 adds to the firewall is the ability to detect if a program attempts to connect to the internet. So you can choose to let it or to block it. Some malicious programs download their fuller form from the internet before they can do harmful things. Some programs also send private information to someone on the net.

SP2 also adds a significant number of other security fixes. But.. well.. one can live without it for a few extra weeks. One can even live with no updates installed if the firewall is enabled and good antivirus is used.

Winston

HSC
RCMasterAA said:
A question about SP1. Like most people I have a pirated version of Windows XP Pro and I wanted to install SP1. Is there anything I can do?
SP1 has the common Corp CD Keys black listed, so it won't work, SP2 however doesn't aim to blacklist any other ones... this SP release doesn't aim to combat the piraters, they put user security as their priority. You have no alternative way of getting SP's installed if u use the infamous FCKGW... key. I've got my own nice SP working key ;)

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Mine had no problems coz i got Legit Microsoft material :p

SoCal

Hollywood
HSC
Thanks to everyone who explained everything to me:).

So when is Windows Longhorn due for release:D?

Did anyone know that they discovered the first mobile phone virus a few months ago, or is that what PPC stands for:confused:?

My Microsoft Firewall is turned off but I think I will turn it back on. I have my Trend Micro Firewall turned on though:).

Winston

HSC
Trend Micro products suck, i hate them haha i prefer Zonealarm for firewalls...

Longhorns Client based is officially announced for 2006, this excludes WinFS one of their major trade offs to get it out on 2006 furthermore because they are backporting portions of Longhorn to 2003/XP.

Yes first virus for a mobile, and also a first virus for PPC, Pocket PC.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Winston said:
Trend Micro products suck, i hate them haha i prefer Zonealarm for firewalls...

Longhorns Client based is officially announced for 2006, this excludes WinFS one of their major trade offs to get it out on 2006 furthermore because they are backporting portions of Longhorn to 2003/XP.

Yes first virus for a mobile, and also a first virus for PPC, Pocket PC.

Unless your a beta tester ?
Or was that for the SP2 builds ?

Winston

HSC
Grizzly said:
What's your question in regards to? Which part of my post?

mojako

HSC
Grizzly said:
some sort of longhorn is available for beta tester
but I dont know how to be a beta tester haha

Winston

HSC
mojako said:
some sort of longhorn is available for beta tester
but I dont know how to be a beta tester haha
Dude, Longhorn's not even in BETA yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)