• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

y11 and y12 subject selection (1 Viewer)

kingjulian<3

HSC
hey dudes, lately ive been freaking out over subject selection.
ive been considering:
- e1 math --> maths is for sure my best subject, might pick up e2 depending on how it goes
- advanced english --> my english is okay, i wouldn't do standard purely due to scaling
- biology --> favourite, good at it
- chemistry --> prereq for the courses im looking at
- physics/investigating science/economics/legal --> indecisive, physics is my top pick but im uncertain about all 3 sci + e1/2
- some random 1u course as a filler to drop

does anyone have suggestions? are these courses manageable together, or am i setting myself up for failure?
im posting on this forum as everyone i talk to irl is unhelpful-

Last edited:

wollongong warrior

HSC
They are pretty manageable together
I suggest picking up physics since it's light work if you're going into mx1 and mx2
Personally, I did mx1, adv eng, bio, chem, physics and visual arts in yr 11, and the only thing I found annoying was juggling 3 depth studies but you should be fine if you plan it out well and don't do them all in 2 weeks

v.tex

HSC
Do whatever you want really. Just take into account the study that your gonna hve to do. If you do investigating for example, it gives you an easier science that you can achieve good marks in and then you can focus on your other subjects more. Up to you though.

HSC
ive been considering:
- e1 math --> maths is for sure my best subject, might pick up e2 depending on how it goes
- advanced english --> my english is okay, i wouldn't do standard purely due to scaling
- physics/investigating science/economics/legal --> indecisive, physics is my top pick but im uncertain about all 3 sci + e1/2

does anyone have suggestions? are these courses manageable together, or am i setting myself up for failure?
hey girl im lowkey planning to do the same as you like ex1 maths, adv eng, physics, chem, bio, and legal or smth. ive heard about so many people doing/done basically what im planning to do and they could get into aviation, engineering and med. so if you trust in yourself and you are dedicated that would be a good combo.

the most important thing is that you know your own capabilities and to not letting anyone bring you down because of what they know or what they dont. you know what you can do and where you're headed so you should pick what you think is best for you!! we could totally be friends and like help each others with subjects since it looks like we're doing similar things?

v.tex

HSC
In the long run you can really get into any uni course u want, it’ll just take longer depending on your subjects and atar result

kingjulian<3

HSC
They are pretty manageable together
I suggest picking up physics since it's light work if you're going into mx1 and mx2
Personally, I did mx1, adv eng, bio, chem, physics and visual arts in yr 11, and the only thing I found annoying was juggling 3 depth studies but you should be fine if you plan it out well and don't do them all in 2 weeks
yeahh i don't think depth study is an issue cause my school structures assessments to not overlap too much. thanks!

kingjulian<3

HSC
Do whatever you want really. Just take into account the study that your gonna hve to do. If you do investigating for example, it gives you an easier science that you can achieve good marks in and then you can focus on your other subjects more. Up to you though.
yeah thats why i thought of inves but it doesn't have good scaling and if e2 doesn't workout i need a high scaling backup

kingjulian<3

HSC
hey girl im lowkey planning to do the same as you like ex1 maths, adv eng, physics, chem, bio, and legal or smth. ive heard about so many people doing/done basically what im planning to do and they could get into aviation, engineering and med. so if you trust in yourself and you are dedicated that would be a good combo.

the most important thing is that you know your own capabilities and to not letting anyone bring you down because of what they know or what they dont. you know what you can do and where you're headed so you should pick what you think is best for you!! we could totally be friends and like help each others with subjects since it looks like we're doing similar things?
thats crazy cause ive been talking to everyone i know and they say they never hear about people doing 3 sciences ( i dont know why they think thats so weird but ok ) and yeah youre right i probably shouldnt be swayed too much by them. i'd love to be friends but im new to the website and have no idea how to dm you lmfao 😭

HSC
thats crazy cause ive been talking to everyone i know and they say they never hear about people doing 3 sciences ( i dont know why they think thats so weird but ok ) and yeah youre right i probably shouldnt be swayed too much by them. i'd love to be friends but im new to the website and have no idea how to dm you lmfao 😭
wait idk how to dm either 😭

mvrcuriee

#1 SK
HSC
ive been considering:

I know a bloke who does 3 sci and 3u maths and he suffered quite a bit in y11… unless you have crazy organisational skills, maybe consider not doing all 3, my friends struggles w 2 alone and she was like super good in science in y10 as well

v.tex

HSC
I know a bloke who does 3 sci and 3u maths and he suffered quite a bit in y11… unless you have crazy organisational skills, maybe consider not doing all 3, my friends struggles w 2 alone and she was like super good in science in y10 as well
Yeah realistically u gotta be studying pretty much everyday for 4h+ to do well in the subjects

Shavi Masee

HSC
ive been considering:

I've been struggling to pick aswell.
Does English standard actually scale that bad? I suck at English and I would probably have to go against recommendation to do advanced.
What courses are you looking at that have chem as a prereq?

v.tex

HSC
Does English standard actually scale that bad? I suck at English and I would probably have to go against recommendation to do advanced.
They are really the same subjects but English Advanced is a lot more reading. Im not completely sure in terms of scaling but I know a lot less people get Band 6s in english standard then advanced.

kingjulian<3

HSC
my issue is i suck at every subject thats not sci and math #asianproblems 😽 i mean i think i could do legal but legal has heavy workload too, and physics would open doors to a shit load of courses

kingjulian<3

HSC
i know a girl who got a 98+ w english standard so i guess its not impossible to do well if you make up with other good subjects and top them. medicine and biomedical engineering both have chemistry prereqs im pretty sure

mvrcuriee

#1 SK
HSC
my issue is i suck at every subject thats not sci and math #asianproblems 😽 i mean i think i could do legal but legal has heavy workload too, and physics would open doors to a shit load of courses
Legal is easy imo the only hard thing is remembering stuff, essay writing is pretty chill you just need good LCMID to back ur point ! But it rly depends on what u wanna do at the end of the day. I didn’t choose any senior sciences cuz I don’t like it nor did I need it HAHHA

kingjulian<3

HSC
Legal is easy imo the only hard thing is remembering stuff, essay writing is pretty chill you just need good LCMID to back ur point ! But it rly depends on what u wanna do at the end of the day. I didn’t choose any senior sciences cuz I don’t like it nor did I need it HAHHA
yeah i think ive decided to either
1 keep physics and do legal instead of bio
2 keep physics and bio and drop bio if i take e2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)