Year 11 2014 Chat :) (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myrdred

HSC
0 hours this year. Although I'm looking to trial Keystone Education some time.

Soulful

HSC Hipster
HSC
For some weird reason, I have to agree. Even though English may not be what you like it to be, the skills you gain will be invaluable - not just in uni, but also in your everyday life.
What happened to your staunch opposition to the subject?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
What happened to your staunch opposition to the subject?
I think I had a really narrow-mind on certain subjects - particularly for English which is why I didn't like it in junior years. However, now that I'm in year 11-12, I'm more mature and because of that, I have an open mind on things, causing my perspectives of subjects to change. Hence why I like English now. :)

But don't worry, haha. Maths is still on the top of list for fav subjects. :haha:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Hey Hawkrider iirc you said you'd post your thoughts of Delta Education after your trial.

Fill us in with the deets :)
Oh crap! I almost forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me Examine. :) Anyway here are my thoughts on Delta Education after my trial.

Before I begin, you need to consider whether Delta is for you. Now I know that might sound weird, but so many people just jump straight in and fail to realise that it might not be the tuition centre for you. In saying that, Delta does (can confirm) stick to their promises listed on their website e.g. comprehensive material, Essay Perfection Program, and highly individualised attention. Be aware that the course is very intensive, meaning that you will need to take in a lot of information in a short period of time. If you believe you may struggle at going at a fast pace, then consider doing private tutoring instead since it goes at your speed. But as I said, everyone is different so find out what works for you.

One of the skills that I found very useful at Delta is the ability to critically think. Critical thinking (in my definition) is basically thinking outside the box. You don't take information at face-value, rather you question the validity of it. Say if you apply this in an English context, if you're identifying a technique in film, visuals and texts, you don't just stop there. You also need to understand how this technique creates meaning, and determining what's the effort of that meaning. If you apply this method, I can guarantee you'll get full marks for Section 1 of Paper 1.

One of things many students fail to realise about Delta is the cost. You may think that the cost is only around $40/hr based on the enrollment guide so you won't have any qualms at all. But in reality, that's not the case. Since the weekly lesson goes for 2 hours and the online essay marking by your state-ranking teacher takes 60 minutes, it actually cost $120 a week, so that's very expensive! So consider how much money you're willing to invest in Delta and make the decision whether it'll be worth it.

I could go on about Delta, but I think I'll leave it there. If you guys have any questions, just PM me and I'd be happy to assist you.

Hope this helped. :)

Examine

same
HSC
Hmm the prices seem to have gone up a bit. (most likely due to the change in the business system from private and groups of 2 to classes).

When I went as a group of 2 we each paid $108 per week.

Anyway if any of you guys are considering going to Delta my advice would be to hold out until the HSC tbh.

EDIT: out of curiosity who did you have?

Last edited:

Lavistria

HSC
Just curious, what tutoring centres do you go to? Or do you guys just go to a private tutor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justem

'Alpha' female ;)
HSC
Oh crap! I almost forgot about that! Thanks for reminding me Examine. :) Anyway here are my thoughts on Delta Education after my trial.

Before I begin, you need to consider whether Delta is for you. Now I know that might sound weird, but so many people just jump straight in and fail to realise that it might not be the tuition centre for you. In saying that, Delta does (can confirm) stick to their promises listed on their website e.g. comprehensive material, Essay Perfection Program, and highly individualised attention. Be aware that the course is very intensive, meaning that you will need to take in a lot of information in a short period of time. If you believe you may struggle at going at a fast pace, then consider doing private tutoring instead since it goes at your speed. But as I said, everyone is different so find out what works for you.

One of the skills that I found very useful at Delta is the ability to critically think. Critical thinking (in my definition) is basically thinking outside the box. You don't take information at face-value, rather you question the validity of it. Say if you apply this in an English context, if you're identifying a technique in film, visuals and texts, you don't just stop there. You also need to understand how this technique creates meaning, and determining what's the effort of that meaning. If you apply this method, I can guarantee you'll get full marks for Section 1 of Paper 1.

One of things many students fail to realise about Delta is the cost. You may think that the cost is only around $40/hr based on the enrollment guide so you won't have any qualms at all. But in reality, that's not the case. Since the weekly lesson goes for 2 hours and the online essay marking by your state-ranking teacher takes 60 minutes, it actually cost $120 a week, so that's very expensive! So consider how much money you're willing to invest in Delta and make the decision whether it'll be worth it.

I could go on about Delta, but I think I'll leave it there. If you guys have any questions, just PM me and I'd be happy to assist you.

Hope this helped. :)
So are you still going to go?

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Hmm the prices seem to have gone up a bit. (most likely due to the change in the business system from private and groups of 2 to classes).

When I went as a group of 2 we each paid $108 per week.

Anyway if any of you guys are considering going to Delta my advice would be to hold out until the HSC tbh.

EDIT: out of curiosity who did you have?
That depends - for me, I found getting a head start into the AOS Discovery in Year 11 has been helpful since I've been told that it'll prepare you for the Year 12 AOS with the inside knowledge meaning that we can focus on the modules for Paper 2 during year 12.

I got Jess as my teacher - she's really good. :) There was an extra bonus as well. Since she did Modern History in her HSC, she can also mark my Modern History essays, not just English.

So are you still going to go?
I'm still thinking about it, like I have plenty of time to decide until this Saturday.

Last edited:

Examine

same
HSC
That depends - for me, I found getting a head start into the AOS Discovery in Year 11 has been helpful since I've been told that it'll prepare you for the Year 12 AOS with the inside knowledge meaning that we can focus on the modules for Paper 2 during year 12.

I got Jess as my teacher - she's really good. :) There was an extra bonus as well. Since she did Modern History in her HSC, she can also mark my Modern History essays, not just English.

I'm still thinking about it, like I have plenty of time to decide until this Saturday.
Fair enough, yeah it's just a matter of whether you think that tutoring would pay off or not. Since your goal is quite high I'm thinking that getting tutoring would be beneficial in the long run (in terms of getting into courses). For example, a 98.1 ATAR still gives me a decent standing to transfer into USyd Comm/Law if I choose that I want to (I would obviously have to get a high WAM though).

In the end though preliminary marks don't count towards your ATAR, so if you plan to pay that much make sure that your essay writing skills/ability to analyse texts and their themes are really boosting up because of it.

EDIT: Just remembered who your tutor is. Yeah iirc she's really good at humanities (state ranked Legal iirc) so it'd be good to make sure your modern history essay structure is good while you're at it.

Last edited:

hawkrider

all class
HSC
N/A
Fair enough, yeah it's just a matter of whether you think that tutoring would pay off or not. Since your goal is quite high I'm thinking that getting tutoring would be beneficial in the long run (in terms of getting into courses). For example, a 98.1 ATAR still gives me a decent standing to transfer into USyd Comm/Law if I choose that I want to (I would obviously have to get a high WAM though).

In the end though preliminary marks don't count towards your ATAR, so if you plan to pay that much make sure that your essay writing skills/ability to analyse texts and their themes are really boosting up because of it.
That's true, preliminary marks don't count towards your ATAR, but what's important (in my view) is getting the skills acquired during year 11 down pat so that you're prepared for year 12.

In saying that, Maths and English will be the only subjects that I'll get tutored for because I got to develop independent learning as well.

Examine

same
HSC
That's true, preliminary marks don't count towards your ATAR, but what's important (in my view) is getting the skills acquired during year 11 down pat so that you're prepared for year 12.

In saying that, Maths and English will be the only subjects that I'll get tutored for because I got to develop independent learning as well.
It seems that their method of teaching must have really changed when they opened the Eastwood centre. When I was with Delta 95% of the time it just focused on refining essays. :haha: (probably because of different teachers, whatnot)

Anyway, if you think it is worth $120 per week then that's fine. (once I started working after the hsc I realised how much that actually was lol)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)