• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Year 12 2012 Chit Chat Thread (5 Viewers)

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
If Im 2nd for 3U and 2U Maths, and both me and 1st place get say 100% Raw, do I miss out on state rank completely, despite my internal mark moderated to about 98-99?

deswa1

HSC
If Im 2nd for 3U and 2U Maths, and both me and 1st place get say 100% Raw, do I miss out on state rank completely, despite my internal mark moderated to about 98-99?
I would hazard a guess and say yes, you would miss out. Your internal would probs still be reported at 100 (depending on the mark gap between you and first) as it would be something like 99.6 which is rounded but when they calculate state ranks, they use decimals. I'm really not sure of this at all though about whether you'd get the state rank- hopefully someone else can shed more light.

And I'm about to do my first fully timed HSC 4U paper... This is exciting

Sy123

This too shall pass
HSC
For Economics how many statistics do I need in order to get 18+/20 for essays (yearly). Presuming I write and answer brilliantly.

Also while Im talking about Economics, does it normally always scale better than any other conventional subject (not a language or extension), or has it only happened a couple of times.

Fanks (Also that above post is rather disheartening, but Ill get into gear for 4U)

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
ECONOMICS
- Was ranked 2/89 at Baulko
- Achieved a HSC mark of 96 for Economics
- Notes are over 150 pages in NARROW margins with high word density, including up to date statistics!
some person advertising on BoS

is it just me or does anyone else think it rather inefficient to have 150 pages of notes on one hsc sub?

Last edited:

Solution

BoS Revolutionary
HSC
N/A

is it just me or does anyone else think it rather inefficient to have 150 pages of notes on one hsc sub?
Very - that is khfreakau iirc from his thread.

enoilgam

HSC

Whatever works best for the individual I guess. I have to say though, my notes for eco were around 120 pages (although I regret not having an additional summarised set).

theind1996

HSC
N/A

Talk about inefficient, determine's Economics notes are 90,000 words for the entire course.

I have Lenny's, and they are about 60,000 - and he says that if you want to cover everything, your notes need to be of a similar length. Everyone in his grade doing Economics has similar sized notes. I guess his mark speaks for the quality of those notes.

Year 12 Economics has a bucketload of content.

Examine

same
HSC

It really depends I guess, since it is such a dense subject in terms of content.

deswa1

HSC
Talk about inefficient, determine's Economics notes are 90,000 words for the entire course.

I have Lenny's, and they are about 60,000 - and he says that if you want to cover everything, your notes need to be of a similar length. Everyone in his grade doing Economics has similar sized notes. I guess his mark speaks for the quality of those notes.

I disagree with this. I don't think marks have a very strong correlation with the length of your notes. Like I don't write notes for eco and I topped it at Tech by a fairly comfortable margin and I also know that none of the top five in either phys or chem at our school write their own notes. At the end of the day, you walk into that test room with a pen- you can't (well shouldn't) bring your notes with you. If you learn with long notes- go for it. If you don't- then don't write long ones simply because everyone else does. It all comes down to personal preference and how each individual learns. I don't think there is a one size fits all approach to the HSC...

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Ah ok, hence why I asked if anyone else thought that, because I didnt take any subs that required that many notes and I was like "wow lol thats like a textbook" haha

theind1996

HSC
N/A
I disagree with this. I don't think marks have a very strong correlation with the length of your notes. Like I don't write notes for eco and I topped it at Tech by a fairly comfortable margin and I also know that none of the top five in either phys or chem at our school write their own notes. At the end of the day, you walk into that test room with a pen- you can't (well shouldn't) bring your notes with you. If you learn with long notes- go for it. If you don't- then don't write long ones simply because everyone else does. It all comes down to personal preference and how each individual learns. I don't think there is a one size fits all approach to the HSC...
Hmm, well which notes do you look over?

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A

Tbh the notes you have dont necessarily correlate with your mark.

An analogy that may be suitable is this. I race Usain Bolt in a 100 metre sprint. He has to carry a 10kg bag and have one arm tied around his back. Whilst he will still beat me, its not mecessarily because his method of running is better, but because he has greater natural ability and has obviously worked harder at becoming a better runner. So even though he got a great result, for him, it is not the ideal method

Timske

Sequential
HSC
Uni Grad
Ah ok, hence why I asked if anyone else thought that, because I didnt take any subs that required that many notes and I was like "wow lol thats like a textbook" haha
hahahahaah

deswa1

HSC
Hmm, well which notes do you look over?
Actually yeah was just about to edit my post lol- I fail whaled again sorry.

My point was that you don't need to write your own notes but yeah you are correct, all the notes I look over for phys/chem are around 160 pages so your point is right.

For eco though I just read the textbook.

JINOUGA

HSC
N/A
Actually yeah was just about to edit my post lol- I fail whaled again sorry.

My point was that you don't need to write your own notes but yeah you are correct, all the notes I look over for phys/chem are around 160 pages so your point is right.

For eco though I just read the textbook.

Haha im not sure about eco but I know you definitely dont need 160 pages worth of notes for physics lol

I mean maybe some students are catered to studying larger notes and some others prefer shorter notes. Is that the way it is? Or do people prefer shorter notes but sometimes its impossible to condense it?

enoilgam

HSC
Haha im not sure about eco but I know you definitely dont need 160 pages worth of notes for physics lol

I mean maybe some students are catered to studying larger notes and some others prefer shorter notes. Is that the way it is? Or do people prefer shorter notes but sometimes its impossible to condense it?
To be honest, the point of my notes was to learn the content as I was writing them (I found that I was able to master the content by putting things into my own words). Reading over them was their secondary purpose.

theind1996

HSC
N/A

It's possible to condense the notes. (Lol condensation polymerisation.)

Use acronyms, key trigger words for responses, don't make notes on the calculations and skills portions of the course.

deswa1

HSC

For me personally, I prefer reading notes that are comprehensive and cover everything so I can understand where everything comes from etc. If that means they are longer, then that's a compromise I'm personally willing to make. Not sure about you guys though?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
For me personally, I prefer reading notes that are comprehensive and cover everything so I can understand where everything comes from etc. If that means they are longer, then that's a compromise I'm personally willing to make. Not sure about you guys though?
Now you're making me consider my decision to make notes...

I think I'll still make notes for Eco since it's a contemporary course, as with Legal (comprehensive notes - 120+ pages).

But for Chem, since the content's the same, I doubt I'll make notes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 5)